Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 Jul 2012, 02:01 (Ref:3105857)   #826
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
The problem with Graf is: He's one of the quickest. In ALMS. In 2010 and onwards.

See how that argument gets less and less compelling?

He hasn't ever really had a chance to show his stuff against the kind of opposition factory squads from Audi and Toyota would provide, and I think that will huer his chances.
A few years ago Graf put in some great stints at Petite in the rain in the spyder. Turned faster laps than the Audi and Peugeot diesels.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 02:59 (Ref:3105864)   #827
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, on a wet Nurburgring circa 2001 he was out of this world good. In the AJR Porsche GT2 car he was a championship contender. In the Muscle Milk Spyder he had to do battle with Highcroft at the top of their game in 2010 and he darn near won the championship if it weren't for Greg's terrible Mid-O crash and the electrical problems they had at Petit. I think the Muscle Milk team has been his best situation in his career and I hold him in very high regard.

Chris
Old 13 Jul 2012, 03:08 (Ref:3105868)   #828
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Klaus Graf:

Solid driver in LMP and GT2, brilliant in Trans Am.
Fast.
Rarely makes mistakes.
Agressive when he needs to.
One of the best wet-weather racers in sportscar racing right now.
Consistent.
Able to match laptimes with a teammate like Lucas Luhr.
Good racecraft.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 03:16 (Ref:3105870)   #829
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Yes he has , he raced a Panoz for Don in the LAMS , and didnt do very much at all . He raced a Panoz P1 for Den Bla Avis and didnt do much either .

To be honest , I dont really rate him as brilliant at all .
Do you not really rate Mike Rockenfeller, Lucas Luhr, Sascha Maassen, Timo Bernard as brilliant either? He's co-driven with these guys and has been on pace or faster than them. He was faster than Timo or Sascha in the RS Spyder. The only co-driver that was quite a bit faster than him was Romain Dumas when he raced the Spyder at Mosport, but of course that could have been down to the fact that once Dumas gave Graf the car they were a lap ahead.

I agree though we won't see him in a factory car, which is a shame, but we'll instead see him in a Pickett customer Porsche LMP1 in the future.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 03:18 (Ref:3105871)   #830
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
The problem with Graf is: He's one of the quickest. In ALMS. In 2010 and onwards.

See how that argument gets less and less compelling?

He hasn't ever really had a chance to show his stuff against the kind of opposition factory squads from Audi and Toyota would provide, and I think that will huer his chances.
He went up to P2 overall after making some great moves on factory the diesel P1 cars and lapped the entire P2 field at PLM 2009 in under an hour after starting in the pitlane .
Old 13 Jul 2012, 08:26 (Ref:3105927)   #831
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Graf's got a (probably well-paid) job outside of racing working for Muscle Milk. Think he looks after sales in Europe but not 100%. So he is pretty cushy where he is, but the racer in him would probably still take the works drive.

For the record I don't see Porsche approaching him.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 08:38 (Ref:3105928)   #832
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Porsche are a truly global brand so would probably want a genuinely international driver line-up (with a healthy German content!).

Other fast, consistent and now experienced P1/P2 drivers worthy of consideration are:

Olivier Pla
Danny Watts
Neel Jani
Old 13 Jul 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3105952)   #833
Lipp
Rookie

Netherlands
Lipp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Jeroen Bleekemolen gets a shot in the P1 Porsche.
He has been driving the porsche P2 in the past winning Le Mans, and winning the Porsche supercup two times. He seems to me perfect for the job.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 10:12 (Ref:3105968)   #834
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
How about Alex Wurz?

Won Le Mans with Porsche back in 1996, has intimate knowledge of two recent factory P1 programs - and is just an all around good guy.

He'd be very high on my list, though snatching him from Toyota might not be easy.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 14:28 (Ref:3106042)   #835
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
What customer car !!! ..... There wont be any Porsche P1 customer cars until at least 2015 . If MM get one , then yes , I can see Graff in it ..... but why wouldnt they want to stay with HPD ..... HPD are looking to get involved more , so why not stay with something they know , and works .
Pickett told RLM at Le Mans that he's talking to Porsche about it.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 15:39 (Ref:3106062)   #836
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Talking and getting are 2 differant things altogether . cant see him opperating a P1 Porsche in 2014 , maybe 2015 though .
Old 13 Jul 2012, 22:59 (Ref:3106194)   #837
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the "L" team - Long, Lieb, Lietz... But please don't forget Joerg - I don't want to see Flying Lizard break up but would love to see those guys get the attention they deserve.

I think Lieb with his engineering ability will be involved regardless...

- but you have to agree Porsche has by far the largest pool of drivers to choose from + I'm sure many others that would jump at the chance to win Le Mans for Porsche.

Last edited by Livininthinair; 13 Jul 2012 at 23:11.
Old 14 Jul 2012, 00:10 (Ref:3106205)   #838
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nick Heidfel
Simon Pagenaud
Mike Rockenfeller
Old 14 Jul 2012, 18:40 (Ref:3106420)   #839
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livininthinair View Post
I like the "L" team - Long, Lieb, Lietz... But please don't forget Joerg - I don't want to see Flying Lizard break up but would love to see those guys get the attention they deserve.
Bergmeister (or Long) would be a great 3rd driver for longer enduros, Lizards can always rent Patrick Pilet or someone of his caliber for the #45/80 as a temporary replacement
Old 15 Jul 2012, 14:53 (Ref:3106675)   #840
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All these driver discussions/speculation in endurance racing just make me laugh. Give anyone an Audi and they'll look super fast. Even a kiddo with some F3 experience. Just look at Rinaldo Capello; I could easily think of a hundred drivers who would turn faster laptimes at Audi. Give them sufficient mileage in a factory team with superior equipment and they'll be "stars". Heidfeld pretty much beat everyone at Rebellion this year at LM but he was still a lot slower than the Audi drivers so was he the best driver on track or was he inferior to everyone at Audi??? The only way to look bad in endurance racing is when you crash often - and even then guys like McNish and Bouillon are still stars.

It's auto racing; it's much more about equipment than driver - especially in endurance racing - but we'll never know whether the driver accounts for 40% or 5% of it.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 16:55 (Ref:3107281)   #841
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
All these driver discussions/speculation in endurance racing just make me laugh. Give anyone an Audi and they'll look super fast. Even a kiddo with some F3 experience. Just look at Rinaldo Capello; I could easily think of a hundred drivers who would turn faster laptimes at Audi. Give them sufficient mileage in a factory team with superior equipment and they'll be "stars". Heidfeld pretty much beat everyone at Rebellion this year at LM but he was still a lot slower than the Audi drivers so was he the best driver on track or was he inferior to everyone at Audi??? The only way to look bad in endurance racing is when you crash often - and even then guys like McNish and Bouillon are still stars.

It's auto racing; it's much more about equipment than driver - especially in endurance racing - but we'll never know whether the driver accounts for 40% or 5% of it.
Party Pooper! You're just trying to spoil everyone's fun!

DK
Old 17 Jul 2012, 08:52 (Ref:3107487)   #842
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
Party Pooper! You're just trying to spoil everyone's fun!

DK
He is right though. You're looking for the potential in terms of outright pace but just as importantly you need someone who can manage traffic and gets the endurance mindset.

It seems that these days works teams find the guys with the speed and then try to rein them in once they start hitting slower cars.
Old 17 Jul 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3107514)   #843
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
He is right though. You're looking for the potential in terms of outright pace but just as importantly you need someone who can manage traffic and gets the endurance mindset.

It seems that these days works teams find the guys with the speed and then try to rein them in once they start hitting slower cars.
Something Hindy has commented upon - far too many' F1 attitudes' with some of the drivers. Not appreciating multi-class racing.
Old 18 Jul 2012, 11:59 (Ref:3107950)   #844
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Porsche probably won't struggle too much with this though, as many of their drivers are likely to be the ones the ex-F1 fellas have been driving in to.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 03:38 (Ref:3108344)   #845
911targa
Veteran

Taiwan
911targa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could be something big: Martini 918 spied at the Ring

http://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/74433...ni-livery.html
Old 19 Jul 2012, 04:30 (Ref:3108355)   #846
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
I can't imagine Porsche using a trademark logo on their own just to make an homage livery.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 09:31 (Ref:3108452)   #847
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Gulf is a much more likely livery if a historic livery is chosen.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3108461)   #848
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I think Gulf is a much more likely livery if a historic livery is chosen.
Gulf Oil LP is still an existing oil company and judging by how many teams have a gulf sponsorship (oak, amr, gulf mclaren, gulf lola nissan etc...) i guess that there are all those blue/orange liveries because of economic reasons, not because in motorsport there a lot of nostalgic people...
Old 19 Jul 2012, 10:40 (Ref:3108491)   #849
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911targa View Post
Could be something big: Martini 918 spied at the Ring

http://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/74433...ni-livery.html
Porsche is selling Martini Racing clothing for a while now.

Last edited by flor; 19 Jul 2012 at 10:43. Reason: quoted wrong person
Old 19 Jul 2012, 10:45 (Ref:3108494)   #850
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by flor View Post
Porsche is selling Martini Racing clothing for a while now.
Was thinking the exact same thing. Would love to see this, even if they had two 'team' cars and then a third in Martini livery. It would be great and certainly one for the fans.