Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Apr 2014, 10:43 (Ref:3399971)   #26
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Today is the 20th Anniversary of the death of Austrian Roland Ratzenberger.
The F1 rookie died at the San Marina GP at Imola on the same weekend as Ayrton Senna and is therefore a normally forgotten man.
RIP to a man who, like legends such as Senna, lived his dream, though only for a short time.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 11:17 (Ref:3399978)   #27
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Today is the 20th Anniversary of the death of Austrian Roland Ratzenberger.
The F1 rookie died at the San Marina GP at Imola on the same weekend as Ayrton Senna and is therefore a normally forgotten man.
RIP to a man who, like legends such as Senna, lived his dream, though only for a short time.
Roland Ratzenberger won the Formula Ford Festival in 1986.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 11:29 (Ref:3399982)   #28
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Roland Ratzenberger won the Formula Ford Festival in 1986.
Indeed he was, and gained some noteriety in the UK at that time.
He was also competed at Le Mans in the early 1990s, getting a 5th place finish in a Toyota.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 11:44 (Ref:3399986)   #29
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ratzenberger also raced in the All-Japan Sports Prototype Championship, where he won one race each in 1990 and 1991, and in Japanese Formula 3000, where the DC was 7th in the season.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3400002)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Roland is the reason why I vent my spleen (so to speak) every time someone mentions or puts a pic up of the Dauer Porsche than won Le Mans in 1994. I badly wanted the Irvine/Martini/Krosnoff Toyota to win that race. Had it not been for Roland's untimely death, he would have driven it.....

IIRC from seeing the car in the Le Mans museum back in 2010 (below), it still had Roland's name on it....

Roland's Toyota
Old 30 Apr 2014, 15:13 (Ref:3400036)   #31
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Roland is the reason why I vent my spleen (so to speak) every time someone mentions or puts a pic up of the Dauer Porsche than won Le Mans in 1994. I badly wanted the Irvine/Martini/Krosnoff Toyota to win that race. Had it not been for Roland's untimely death, he would have driven it.....

IIRC from seeing the car in the Le Mans museum back in 2010 (below), it still had Roland's name on it....

Roland's Toyota
I really like your picture.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 15:36 (Ref:3400045)   #32
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Roland also competed in the WTCC and BTCC in 87 and 88 respectively. Interesting he changed his birth year to 1962 to appear younger, as other drivers have done. He was actually born in 1960, so he was the same age as Senna. I think he also had the popular TV show Roland Rat as his sponsor due to the similar name.

Like Roger Williamson, Helmuth Koinigg and Riccardo Paletti, he died in his first year before he had the chance. Such a shame. David Brabham has been on the radio talking about him today. Glad to see Roland hasn't been overlooked in remembering Senna.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 16:41 (Ref:3400063)   #33
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Roland also competed in the WTCC and BTCC in 87 and 88 respectively. Interesting he changed his birth year to 1962 to appear younger, as other drivers have done. He was actually born in 1960, so he was the same age as Senna. I think he also had the popular TV show Roland Rat as his sponsor due to the similar name.

Like Roger Williamson, Helmuth Koinigg and Riccardo Paletti, he died in his first year before he had the chance. Such a shame. David Brabham has been on the radio talking about him today. Glad to see Roland hasn't been overlooked in remembering Senna.
What a surprise!
Old 1 May 2014, 18:42 (Ref:3400488)   #34
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Ratzenberger didn't need to F1, he wanted to as he had already set himself up as a professional driver in Japan in 3000, sports cars and touring cars.

His time came late but then so did Damon Hill's and i'll venture that Roland was every bit as talented, of not more so on pure raw ability? He could drive anything quickly, very versatile.
Old 2 May 2014, 08:04 (Ref:3400636)   #35
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Pat Symonds remembers Ayrton

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns27905.html

Talking about never giving a small team an even break!

"We had been limited that season in the Michelin tyres we could use, because to agree with us having tyres for the season Ron Dennis had imposed we'd use the previous year's tyre specs, but in Monaco, in the rain, there were no 1983 tyres, we used the same tyres as everyone else and Ayrton drove magnificently to 2nd place but behind him Stefan Bellof was driving even faster to climb up to 3rd from the back of the grid!"
Old 5 May 2014, 20:26 (Ref:3402584)   #36
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Erik Comas's interview about his accident (Senna rescued him) and about the 1st of may 94.
Old 10 May 2014, 11:45 (Ref:3404483)   #37
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You could sense the emotion in Eddie Jordan's voice as he spoke about Senna on the BBC today.
Old 10 May 2014, 12:12 (Ref:3404492)   #38
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Very good piece on the anniversary, bergers comments were to the point as you would expect from him the two were very close
Old 10 May 2014, 14:07 (Ref:3404531)   #39
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes I agree. First time in a while we've heard from Johnny Dumfries.
Old 10 May 2014, 16:50 (Ref:3404582)   #40
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't deny the fact that I had a tear in my eye. Good piece. Where did those 20 years go?
Old 10 May 2014, 20:23 (Ref:3404665)   #41
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You could see Newey's pain in the interview, especially when it got to describing the crash. 20 years on and he's still taking it that hard.
Old 12 May 2014, 02:44 (Ref:3405204)   #42
wnut
Veteran

I always enjoyed this Top Gear feature of Lewis driving Senna's McLaren:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldTEesFbd5s
Old 12 May 2014, 06:57 (Ref:3405227)   #43
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was very surprised to see nothing on TV to mark the 20th anniversary of Imola 1994. Radio 5live did a very good program and I thought this would be something to at least produce a documentary for. They could have shown the older ones too. Strange.
Old 13 May 2014, 22:01 (Ref:3406029)   #44
S griffin
Veteran

Liked the tribute of that Italian rider, forgotten his name, in the World Supersport race. Wearing a Senna and going to win his first, on home ground, at Imola.