Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Jun 2006, 12:15 (Ref:1644129)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
HSCC (& Archie Scott Brown Memorial dedication) - Snetterton,1 & 2 July (with photos)

This coming weekend, Snetterton plays host to the great series of races with big grids that have been a feature of HSCC meetings this year. In addition, HSCC and Motorsportvision (owner's of Snetterton) have agreed that this would be an appropriate meeting to dedicate the new Scrutineering and Exclusive Testing Centre to the memory of Archie Scott Brown. The old stone mounted plaque in his memory has been cleaned and will be place on a new plinth and mounted in front of the new building, which will be called the Archie Scott Brown Centre. Arrangements have been made to invite former and current Lister owners and drivers to attend the unveiling which will take place on Saturday, 1st July. On Sunday, at lunchtime, a parade will be held in Archie's honour.

This should be a great meeting, as well as a tribute to a motor racing legend.

I will be there on Sunday, and will hopefully be able to post a few of my pictures up, in the usual way, on this thread, during the following week.

Last edited by John Turner; 29 Jun 2006 at 12:37.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1644149)   #2
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Be good if you could come and say 'hello' John
Old 29 Jun 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1644174)   #3
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to meet up with both John's to say "hi"!!

We'll be there all weekend, me racing the Fulvia on Saturday and Jason the Griff on Sunday. be great to see you both and take part in the unveiling/memorial.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1644193)   #4
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be there Sunday, and may go along for the test day tomorrow aswell, till about 3pm anyway. Can't really make Saturday, sadly, which is a shame because the HSCC put on great events!
Old 29 Jun 2006, 15:15 (Ref:1644221)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The plan at present is to have the memorial plaque in its new position unveiled and re-dedicated by Brian Lister and Jack Sears at around 12 noon on Saturday, outside the new scrutineering bay which will be officially opened and named as 'The Archie Scott Brown Centre'. This will probably be followed by a Q&A session and is being done on Saturday as Jack cannot make Sunday. As president of the Ferrari OC, he has an event with them Sunday. Jack and Archie were the greatest of friends, infact Jack's son David ( boss of Supernova GP2 ) is Archie's godson.

Christopher Lunn's 'knobbly' will be placed by the memorial all day Saturday.

On Sunday Brian will be present with many of Archie's old friends and folk connected with Lister. Two BRDC 50s sportscar races should include a Lister or two and there will be a lunchtime track parade.

My Snetterton painting of ASB in the 1957 Lister Jaguar has been enlarged to wall size and will be fixed in the new scrutineering bay for permanent display before the weekend. A framed print will be displayed in the Tyrrells bar, donated by publisher Steve Bradley of Art, Antiques & Autos.

Glorious weather forecast and glorious cars at Snett. Should be a good weekend!
Old 29 Jun 2006, 17:16 (Ref:1644318)   #6
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
snett

I've no wish to detract from the event at all, but the BRDC race entry looks very light to me - am I right in thinking that it's just eight cars and only one of those a Lister?
Old 29 Jun 2006, 23:44 (Ref:1644526)   #7
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like it should be great, wish I could go on Saturday aswell
Old 30 Jun 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1644713)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two
I've no wish to detract from the event at all, but the BRDC race entry looks very light to me - am I right in thinking that it's just eight cars and only one of those a Lister?
One-two, yes it does look light, but remember that this is a provisional list. Having said that their race at the MGCC Silverstone meeting last weekend was not as well supported as it could have been. Hope this is only a temporary situation since this championship has the potential for a varied and interesting grid.

The other races for Snetterton look very well supported however.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1645259)   #9
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
My Snetterton painting of ASB in the 1957 Lister Jaguar has been enlarged to wall size and will be fixed in the new scrutineering bay for permanent display
Unfortunately MSV have not been able to have this enlarged in time so it will go up at a later date. Some nice cars testing today beforehand.
Old 1 Jul 2006, 13:54 (Ref:1645637)   #10
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
There was indeed, I'll put some photos up in a bit, if I get the chance.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 09:30 (Ref:1647134)   #11
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
A great weekend, very unusual hot weather for Snett!
The Archie tribute and unveiling was terrific. Pity there were so few Lister cars in attendance, two on show and one racing, however very moving. Preperations for the Le Mans Classic sidelined many BRDC entries and the NIMBY modern day noise restrictions prevented an F5000 entry or two in the DBT from appearing.

Christopher Lunn's Lister knobbly on display on Saturday by the new Archie Scott Brown Centre.

On Saturday lunchtime, Jonathan Palmer flew in from Brands for an hour or so to host the unveiling and interviewed Brian Lister and Jack Sears.

The memorial plaque, which stood for years unloved by the previous circuit owners in a hidden spot on the wall of the old scrutineering shed, now proudly mounted outside the ASBC. L-R Jonathan, Brian and Jack.

On Sunday, John Pearson drove Brian around in the Costin bodied Lister at the head of the parade of BRDC 50s sportscars. Afterwards Ian Titchmarsh interviewed Brian, one of many he was to do during the day as BBC East were in attendance, recording for a film they are making about Archie due out later in the year.

Terrific photo of Archie, 6ft high on the wall inside the ASBC scrutineering bay.

Last edited by Andrew Kitson; 3 Jul 2006 at 09:38.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 09:53 (Ref:1647154)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The weekend was not only all about Archie & Brian. Some great cars and HSCC racing.

Frank Lyons' two T332 Lolas. The blue and white one is the ex Hogan 'Haggar Slacks' Brett Lunger T330 from 1973, updated to 332 spec and driven at Snett by New Zealander Steve Ward. Frank won Sunday's dramatic race in his familiar ex Belso/Trimmer car (right)

Frank's wife Judy had her first run in the Gurney Eagle.

Many cars at the meeting in period livery, including classic F3 race winner Richard Trott in his ex-Siegfried Stohr Chevron.

Pretty certain this was making its debut at Snett. Not sure if Tyrrell ever tested there, probably not, more likely Goodwood.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1647165)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Great stuff Andrew and thank you for introducing me, on Sunday, to Brian Lister, who kindly signed my copy of 'Archie And The Listers'. I also finally caught up with 'Johngee', met Graham White and Jamie Hopper, and celebrated with Louise (LAK) and husband, Jason, (more of that later!) and generally enjoyed another fine HSCC meeting. I'll be posting a few pics of my own over the coming days!
Old 3 Jul 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1647457)   #14
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Once again, a great meeting from the HSCC,
although the BRDC Historic sports and The Derek Bell Trophy grids were a little sparce(what happened to all the F1 cars that were at Brands). I think if Judy Lyons had managed to finish the race, she would have got the cheer of the day, especially after the problems she was having with the gear box.
Marshals at Sena (pit straight) gave their driver of the day award, on Saturday, to John Chisholm, in the Jaguar XK race, for his great drive from the back of the grid to finish second, and nearly win.
On Sunday our crew moved to Riches and Matthew Watts would have got our vote, winning both the HSCC Classic racing car races, if it hadn't been for the Historic Saloon car race at the end. Jonathon Comm had a great battle for the lead in his Lotus Cortina, only just losing out to Les Ely in his BMW, but for sheer entertainment, especially at Riches, our driver of the day vote went to Roger Ebdon in his Morris Mini Cooper.
Thanks to all and see you at Silverstone.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 19:22 (Ref:1647537)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I'll just add a couple of images to Andrew's with regard to the Archie Scott Brown commemoration. The BRDC cars, led by the Costin Lister and Archie's MG TD, gave a demonstration in and out lap. To capture the moment, we were allowed to stand on the pitwall. Here, John Pearson drives, Brian Lister waves! The MG has just come into view:-

The MG, displaying the registration no. XS 6931 (see page 67 of Robert Edwards book, mentioned earlier):-

The first race on Sunday was Race 9 of the weekend and was Part 1 of the HSCC Historic Formula Ford championship. In the absence of Neil Fowler, who qualified but did not take the start (I noted the car on its trailer in the Paddock, so clearly a problem) Nelson Rowe took a comfortable pole to flag victory. Here we see, Richard Line (73 - Elden Mk8), George Fowler (86 - Macon MR8), Gregory Thornton (66 - Titan Mk4) & Alan Fairbrother (96 - Merlyn Mk20) hustling through Russell Bend. However, they are not all on the same lap - Line finished 17th, Fowler 5th, Thornton 6th and Fairbrother failed to finish:-

Race 10 was Part 1 of the BRDC Historic Sportscar Championship and as has been mentioned in previous posts, this was, unfortunately, a small field of cars. It was won by Graeme Dodd (incorrect, it was actually won by Peter Horsman - see later posts - JT) following up on a similar victory at Silverstone the previous week. Here is second place man, Jamie McIntyre 'working the wheel' in his Rejo:-

Last edited by John Turner; 5 Jul 2006 at 06:28.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 21:43 (Ref:1647615)   #16
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
The first race on Sunday was Race 9 of the weekend and was Part 1 of the HSCC Historic Formula Ford championship. In the absence of Neil Fowler, who qualified but did not take the start (I noted the car on its trailer in the Paddock, so clearly a problem) Nelson Rowe took a comfortable pole to flag victory.
Neil's engine failed during qualifying, so that put him out of the meeting. A shame for him, but the result was that now the championship is Rowe and Fowler both on the same score, both with two no-scoring rounds to count as dropped scores - so good for the championship!

I also see from the photo that you were probably stood behind me during that race John. And you didn't even say hello! I'm now going to go and sulk in the corner...
Old 4 Jul 2006, 07:29 (Ref:1647758)   #17
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, that indeed is Jamie Mac in his Rejo, but I rather think you'll find that he came a rather distant third in the race. I know I'm very small, but.......

Old 4 Jul 2006, 08:31 (Ref:1647812)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peter why have the BRDC grids imploded? When I ran with them they were well supported races but I have heard they are struggling these days. Given how fantastic these cars are its a great shame...
Old 4 Jul 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1647814)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Peter, humble apologies, but according to the MST site and the results sheet printed out at the event, you actually won Race 10 with Jamie 2nd (so presumably I was wrong about Graeme Dodd? - can someone help me out here - I had too many distractions during the day!). I know Graeme won Race 15 (part 2 of the BRDC Sportscars).

Asp, sorry to you also, but I did'nt know you were going, otherwise I would have wanted to say 'Hello'. More pics to follow.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 08:52 (Ref:1647827)   #20
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, you are right re the first race. Jamie Mac came P2, and in the second race he finished P3 after a tussle with Rupert Wood in his Widi who finished just behind.

Simon, I think that a number of the drivers feel that they would rather take their valuable pieces of kit (and some probably have dozens of other cars....) to what they believe are prestige events appropriate to the cars. BRDC recognise this and are reducing the number of championship rounds next year to six key events. Personally, I thought that (inter alia) the MG meeting at S'stone the other week and the HSCC Snett meeting were great events and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Certainly, the BRDC 50s sportscars can turn out truly fantastic grids and benefit from good racing. Expect that at the S'stone Classic, the Gold Cup and SeeRed this year, and all of next.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 09:17 (Ref:1647847)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Peter, thanks for clarification, and sorry I confused everything with my reference to Graeme Dodd who had problems preventing him from starting Race 10. Peter, a slightly hazy picture of you, to make amends:-

Benjamin Eastwick's D-Type which came 5th in the same race:-
Old 4 Jul 2006, 13:10 (Ref:1648000)   #22
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Here you are Peter, just after race 1 with Rupert Wood (left) and Jamie McIntyre (right).

A few more:
James Denty's potent F5000 Lotus 70.

The working end of Frank Lyons' F5000 T332, a Dave Finnigan built motor, one of the best out there.

Jason and (forum member LAK) Louise Kennedy's TVR.

The rare Lenham Spyder.

Superb F2 March 712 of Paul Drayson.

Finally, lovely little Lotus 23, extracted from a museum in the USA by Andy Shepherd. Always had a soft spot for these as the old man was a mechanic on one in 1966/67, often at Snetterton with it back then.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1648021)   #23
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
More on the Archie unveiling from Jonathan's perspective can be seen on the motorsportvision.co.uk website under 'Snetterton'.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 13:37 (Ref:1648026)   #24
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
ScottDay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know what happened to Paul Sleeman.....Jamun T2 Historic Formula Ford race 1. Thanks
Old 4 Jul 2006, 13:58 (Ref:1648037)   #25
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 11, the School Garage Historic Road Sports Championship had, as usual, a healthy grid, although the results sheet shows an unusually high attrition rate. Having had to endure the disappointment of her Lancia suffering a head gasket failure in practice on Saturday, Louise Kennedy (LAK) was probably happy to trade that off against what happened on Sunday. Her husband, Jason took his first pole in a tightly contested qualifying and then during the race, determinedly resisted a brief attack from a fast starting Justin Murphy in the Milano (52), a slightly longer challenge from Adam Ormandy in the Lotus Elan (90) and a very sustained attack from Andy Shepherd, the current Champion, in the Lotus 7 S2 (1). This was a long 30 minute race, and in his attempts to get on terms with the TVR, Andy posted several fastest laps. Jason, however, driving as well as I've seen him, held on to record a well deserved first 'proper' outright victory. Justin finished 3rd, but Adam Ormandy unfortunately retired after 7 laps:-

There were some great battles further down the field; one a monumental tussle between Alan Jones E-type and Josh Sadler's Ginetta G4. Alan retired after 13 laps and Josh went on to take 5th place behind John Fitzgerald's Elan S1:-

Another battle was that between the TR5 ((31) of James Owen, the TR6 (44) of David Kirby and the TVR Vixen (86) of John Ward. James finished 6th overall, with David 7th. The TVR however lost out to Mark Hobles's Morgan Plus 4, to finish 8th:-

Last edited by John Turner; 4 Jul 2006 at 18:22. Reason: Spelling mistake!