Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Jan 2015, 15:29 (Ref:3491317)   #3276
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The location of the mirrors might be genius on the new HPD:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B66v8MXCcAAhuHy.jpg
Old 9 Jan 2015, 18:01 (Ref:3491370)   #3277
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The location of the mirrors might be genius on the new HPD:

Not sure if the driver can see it clearly, but that's an ingenious way of putting those mirrors!
Old 9 Jan 2015, 20:15 (Ref:3491419)   #3278
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Thatd be the only issue, if they can pass the mirror test in the rules.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 08:57 (Ref:3492009)   #3279
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Why aren't there louvers to hide rear wheels in the rear end of the ARX-04b?
Old 12 Jan 2015, 13:32 (Ref:3492056)   #3280
Maverick248
Rookie

France
Paris
Maverick248 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very strange solution, I also think it's not the better way to see something.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 14:24 (Ref:3492069)   #3281
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick248 View Post
Very strange solution, I also think it's not the better way to see something.
Keeps them from getting knocked off by DPs, saves repair pitstops.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 15:28 (Ref:3492086)   #3282
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
^ Painful Lol at a sadly true if likely inaccurate response.

Very disappointed by the ESM HPD at the Roar. I guess I was thinking of Highcroft and how they made their brand-new HPDs run right right out of the box. ESM is a Very different team. Still, I am sure the new HPD will eventually be as good as any other P2--and I love the look. It is weirdly proportioned and has those odd nostrils but still looks like it should be very fast.

ESM has less than two weeks to get the thing right. Not hoping for a lot from them, sadly.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 18:44 (Ref:3492124)   #3283
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
ESM has less than two weeks to get the thing right. Not hoping for a lot from them, sadly.
It will be their first race (24 hours at that) with less than 2 months of testing since the first car was assembled. What expectations would you realistically have for the car? I'd say if they can be running strong for the first 6 hours (a WEC race length) they will be encouraged. If they make it last 12 hours they will be happy, and if they make it 24 they will be thrilled.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 20:09 (Ref:3492148)   #3284
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Interesting little video

http://youtu.be/LBmuwOQqcAg
Old 12 Jan 2015, 20:35 (Ref:3492155)   #3285
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
^ Painful Lol at a sadly true if likely inaccurate response.

Very disappointed by the ESM HPD at the Roar. I guess I was thinking of Highcroft and how they made their brand-new HPDs run right right out of the box. ESM is a Very different team. Still, I am sure the new HPD will eventually be as good as any other P2--and I love the look. It is weirdly proportioned and has those odd nostrils but still looks like it should be very fast.

It's just testing, it means nothing. Especially at this stage of the car development. And besides Roar is basically NASCAR version of spring FIA GT3 BoP tests at Paul Ricard, you don't want to be fast there.

Anyway the miraculous Highcroft car you probably speak most of - ARX-01e - only ran one race in history and even if amazing in race trim it wasn't particularly outstanding in one lap pace in prior testing and practice (not 2009 De Ferran qualifying miracles)

These new cost cap cars are not as diverse as the old ones anyway so you don't get class killers in P2 anymore, and particularly not on American side of the pond today

Oh and I still think ESM is just using Daytona and Sebring as pure reliability prep-up for WEC

Last edited by Deleted; 12 Jan 2015 at 20:49.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 20:52 (Ref:3492159)   #3286
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plus if we're talking about being fast at ALMS winter testing, didn't that take place at the end of January/start of February?
Old 12 Jan 2015, 22:12 (Ref:3492198)   #3287
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not really trying to diss ESM. Scott Sharp and the rest talked at length about how they were going through each system, system by system, and then trying to get them all to work together, and even with a dedicated Honda engineer, it was a very slow process. I know they are trying, and I know they are not idiots or anything—the team's record proves that. Also, I know they didn't have the car for long, and hadn't even received the second one—I guess HPD was in a real rush as well, trying to get something ready to roll for the Roar.

What I said was that I was disappointed. Highcroft's first P1 HPD (the first wide-wheel car, I want to say the 03a but no time to check) was pretty quick out of the box and except for power-steering-pump issues (wide front tires) ran well on its first outing,. The year after (2010, I believe) they showed up at Sebring with a car they had only had for a week and finished second overall (yes, I know an Audi and Pug retired and others had accidents.)

I still feel like Highcroft had a better organization—maybe because there was more available cash? Not sure, but all I can really express are opinions. Fact? There is Google for all that.

Anyway ... I hadn't expected much of Krohn because they have never been really a thrat at the front (despite I think two Rolex wins and the driving of Nic Jonsson.) Krohn is a smaller team and takes longer to get results.

I had hoped ESM would come out fast. Just a hope. They didn't so I was disappointed. I am sure they will get it together given time. I had hoped, though, that they would be a player in the Rolex. They still might. We shall see.

As far as what might constitute success? I still expect to see Action express, Ganassi, and WTR fight it out, with VisitFlorida and Starworks close behind.

Shank did alright during the Roar, and the Ligier is a proven package, but it's a new car to the team, and but 24 hours is a long time. I haven't looked at trap times or sector times, so I don't know if the Ligier can really compete with a DP (Oak was quickest in Roar session in 2014, and totally out of luck in the race.)

If ESM shows up and runs and doesn't retire due to driver error, I guess that could be called success. Still, I like the team and would really like to see them get an upset win. Same with MSR, a team I liked since the Rolex series days, which never seemed to get lucvky—except at that One Rolex 24 (2012?) when Pruett dumped the transmission on pit lane near the end of the race and MSR won.

Whatever. I am hoping for an enjoyable Rolex 24 for as many fans and teams as possible, I guess.

Oh, and ALMS Winter Test was usually Wed-Sat/ the second week of Feb, I believe. Two days for Porsche Cup/Lites/Open Wheel, two days for ALMS.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 15:36 (Ref:3492500)   #3288
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Unique front bulkhead of ARX-04b
Old 13 Jan 2015, 16:01 (Ref:3492506)   #3289
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I had hoped ESM would come out fast. Just a hope. They didn't so I was disappointed. I am sure they will get it together given time. I had hoped, though, that they would be a player in the Rolex. They still might. We shall see.
I wouldn't be that hard on them if you don't know the details about the car behind the scenes. :-)

-mike
Old 14 Jan 2015, 00:53 (Ref:3492638)   #3290
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Smooth onboard from speedway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6G7zoX6sx4

Can't make any observations on the mirror front from that angle. Could use with rear monitor like the Strakka Dome did at Ricard in any case.

The cockpit does look slightly less crowded than in the Oak coupe
Old 14 Jan 2015, 01:14 (Ref:3492639)   #3291
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
You could see the left mirror reflection a little, but a visor cam would give a better idea.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 01:28 (Ref:3492641)   #3292
Jack Spratt
Rookie

Jack Spratt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
I wouldn't be that hard on them if you don't know the details about the car behind the scenes. :-)

-mike
Bingo.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 02:38 (Ref:3492649)   #3293
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Does the ARX-04 use torsion bars or coil springs?

I see the silver colored areas on the front of the tub that look like places where a torsion bar is inserted, but there's also something inside the right side of the tub that look like a coil spring or wires.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 06:06 (Ref:3492666)   #3294
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

-mike

Tell us! Tell us! Tell us!
Old 14 Jan 2015, 10:52 (Ref:3492710)   #3295
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 14 Jan 2015, 10:56 (Ref:3492712)   #3296
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Smooth onboard from speedway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6G7zoX6sx4

Can't make any observations on the mirror front from that angle. Could use with rear monitor like the Strakka Dome did at Ricard in any case.

The cockpit does look slightly less crowded than in the Oak coupe
arx04 now uses a f1 style s.wheel, with that motec dashboard placed on left very far from s.wheel and driver eyes. Almost useless.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 11:09 (Ref:3492714)   #3297
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Does the ARX-04 use torsion bars or coil springs?

I see the silver colored areas on the front of the tub that look like places where a torsion bar is inserted, but there's also something inside the right side of the tub that look like a coil spring or wires.
Definitely a coilover damper front right there and the circular access holes which are open there will be to adjust the bump and rebound settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
arx04 now uses a f1 style s.wheel, with that motec dashboard placed on left very far from s.wheel and driver eyes. Almost useless.
It's really not that far out of sight and will very much be clearly in his periphery. My guess is they would use it for warning and alarm details.

Not sure what dash system they are using, doesn't look like Motec though?
Old 14 Jan 2015, 13:03 (Ref:3492743)   #3298
Deleted
Veteran

I'd say it's motec C125 from that grainy view

Old 14 Jan 2015, 13:46 (Ref:3492751)   #3299
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooooh didn't realise they had upgraded from the ADL3, wonder if the 05 will use that system.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 18:03 (Ref:3492808)   #3300
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

-mike
Hope that whatever those issues were, they're something that will be beneficial to the HPD effort in the long-term. Would be great to see a couple more teams pick this as their machine of choice.

Issues or not, it would be harsh to judge ESM and the car on the basis of its first public test session, let alone race. Looking forward to seeing (on a screen) these cars run at Sebring, that will be a more appropriate time to see how the programme is developing IMO.