Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 18 Mar 2003, 17:21 (Ref:540309)   #1
Highlander
Rookie

Highlander should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I need advice on my karting technique

Hi I'm going karting in two weeks for a charity. It's a 1hr enduro against other local compaies in the same line of work, so theres alot on the line. I've done some indoor single engine stuff before but this is out door twin engined stuff. I'm 16 stone so a bit disadvantaged so any advice to make me more competitive would be a great help
Old 19 Mar 2003, 01:18 (Ref:540805)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Just go out and have fun , enjoy yourself is the main thing , its not the world championship so just make it fun.

as for driving just try and be as smooth as possible , dont slide to much and always be doing something either braking or accelerating , dont let the kart just coast into the turn. there is another thread around here that i will find that might be able to help you out.
Old 19 Mar 2003, 01:25 (Ref:540811)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I cant seem to find it at the moment , have a look through the threads and Im sure you may find something that will interest you.
Old 20 Mar 2003, 21:40 (Ref:542503)   #4
Webslinger
Racer

Webslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me the quickest way to drive a twin Prokart is to brake into the apex of the corner, before feeding in the power whilst still coming off the corner. 'Flat' corners are not always the fastest way to lap a track either, if the kart shows a tendency to slide. It might feel quick, but on the stopwatch it will be slower than the driver who gave the briefest of lifts. Prokarts do not have the power to overcome even the slightest twitch, as it costs you a lot of speed down the next bit of tarmac.

Marcus is right though - fun is the key. Just enjoy it and maybe pass a few punters in the process. It guarantees a smile afterwards.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 11:46 (Ref:545208)   #5
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've raced pro karts for a year and i agree with the last post, you need to brake just before you touch the apex. Pro karts can brake really late. Also when turning in to a corner, especially a hair pin, go really wide and then as your kart has got tto where the rumble strip starts (in most cases) turn in really sharply and that should take the best line, do NOT turn in early even though that is what you may want to do it will resort in you running very wide.