Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 15 Apr 2009, 12:37 (Ref:2441318)   #1
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vale: Graham Watson

I thought it would be approproate to post in this forum given the mans influence on Single seater racing, especially for Aussie's and Kiwis.

The sad news came though this morning that Graham Watson, owner of the RALT Australia team and a renowned 'spotter' and developer of young driving talent, passed away last night after a brief fight with cancer.

Wattie has played a massive role in developing and supporting the careers of many young drivers from both Australia and New Zealand. The list - including Scott Dixon, Will Power and more - is long and a testament to his abilities to not only spot talent, but help them along a path to a professional career of the sport.

In his passing, Open Wheel racing - in particular 'wings and slicks' racing - has lost a massive supporter. Wattie was not a rich man but his support came by bringing an astonishing amount of amazing talent though the ranks, and contributing masses of knowledge, enthusiasm and support to the series in which he was involved.

He served on the administrations of both Formula Holden and, recently, Formula 3, and was continually pushing for the continued growth of the sport in Australia.

People like this are few and far between and as such it is a massive blow to loose someone like him for everyone in the sport, both professionally and personally.

The paddock of the next Formula 3 race is going to be a mighty strange place without Graham's figure, customary headset on, kneeling next to his latest charge trying to coax the most out of another talented young driver.

Mighty strange indeed. Rest in peace, Wattie.

In the meantime, may I suggest you visit www.ralt.com.au. The site has not been updated for a few years but there are some wonderful memories there that detail just how enthusiastic he was about the sport and 'his' drivers.

Richard Craill
Old 15 Apr 2009, 14:37 (Ref:2441410)   #2
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A remarkable spotter and supporter of local talent, the roster of drivers who have driven for Graham was a who's who of the sport.
His loss is a huge blow for the sport and his contribution to its development cannot be over estimated.
VALE Graham Watson.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 10:47 (Ref:2442101)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Appreciate the sentiments and reasons for posting this sad news in NISS Richard.

Fine for it to stay in here for the moment and we can copy/move to Tributes at a later stage.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 02:31 (Ref:2442687)   #4
petersracin
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
petersracin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graham was well known as a supporter of young talent. What is often not known as that he did a huge amount behind the scenes to help keep the various series he ran in going by supporting others. Just about the first time I met him he lent us the entire back half of a 91D to get us going and over the next six years he helped to keep our small team going in innumerable ways with advice and odds and ends as we got up to speed. He was also great sportsman in spite of being very focussed on winning. I remember clearly that he was very calm when I tangled with one of this youngsters who was leading a gold star race at the time.

His passing is a great loss indeed. Thanks Graham.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 10:53 (Ref:2442933)   #5
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thats terrible news - never new he was ill...

RIP Graham...
Old 17 Apr 2009, 23:08 (Ref:2443409)   #6
speedreader
Racer

Australia
speedreader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We first met Graham when he was racing his Austin A40 at Levin in NZ. Until the end he remained one of the sports really nice guys, unselfish, focussed and never driving or talking out of his depth. We trust the governing bodies in both NZ and Aust will officially recognise what this man did for our sport and our drivers. Wattie was a mentor to so many whether they be under his wing or not. He often defied the odds, running his team on a fraction of budgets by comparison. He loved his family, his friends and his chosen sport and was a good 'peddler' in his own right. We send our deepest sympathy to Watties family and friends as we will fondly remember this special man for years to come.Seeing Wattie and Peewee Siddle in pit lane having a conversation was a sight we will fondly remember!! RIP Wattie, we miss you already.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 22:59 (Ref:2445914)   #7
blew by u
Rookie

blew by u should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graeme was a great man who would always help others before himself. I would like all he has done for our family and all he did for my Brother Jonny Reid, without graeme he would not be were he is today thakyou and goodbye, Jan and the family be strong and remember what a great man he was, Ritchie and the team make graeme proud.
Rest in peace graeme.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 06:15 (Ref:2450385)   #8
speedkills
Rookie

speedkills should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graham Watson - Legend

I am the father of James Kovacic. Both my son, family and I are eternally greatful for the help and dedication that Graham offered to my son and I, as James made a step up to Open wheel racing. He gave James much respect and always called him his new 'top driver'. We learnt alot from Graham over the past 12 months. We also had a lot of fun together and the banter was something that will be etched in my thoughts forever.

Graham engineered James at his first ever FBMW test (Richie included) and did the same at my James' first official Formula BMW at the West Palm Beach Race Way in Florida. Graham and my son had a very good understanding and friendship. Graham was always thinking of my son first and he made his transition from karts to cars very memorable and successful. Graham was not only helping James in his training, he was always putting out the word for James. Just a fantastic man and character.

Graham will be very sorely missed by all of us. I visited Graham just days before his passing. We knew he was going to hopsital for stomach surgery, we didnt know that he was going to leave all of us so soon. Graham helped many current professional racers move forward in their careers. (Will Power, Paul Radisich, Scott Dixon, Johnny Reid, Roberto Moreno, David Brabham etc.) He was a legend and will be unbelievably missed by all in motorsport

Val Kovacic