Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jun 2004, 21:44 (Ref:1019458)   #26
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I know, but it does annoy me that when Michael has a small problem, whether it be tyres, brakes or something, and Rubens is right up with him, you just know that he will stay behind him, team orders or not.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 21:50 (Ref:1019465)   #27
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know that Schumi would beat him in a straight fight, but it's being cheated of the spectacle that rankles...
Old 28 Jun 2004, 23:56 (Ref:1019590)   #28
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If this comment comes on the back of say Austria, then nobody could have faulted Head for passing such a comment.

But on the back of USGP, one can hardly pass off Ferrari issuing team orders. And people can call it straight talking, but bad mouthing your opponent based on "speculation" isn't something a senior member of F1 should do...unless a motive of hitting out at Ferrari is intended.

He was asked a question and he responded. Indeed, but he answered knowing full well that everyone will know his response and to answer in such a manner is just not respectable.

=====
“I don’t respect them, because they’ve put themselves in a position of dominance, but their sole motivation appears to be self-interest, rather than the interests of F1,” he says.

“When Williams or McLaren have been in that position in the past, the seasons retained their interest because you knew the drivers wouldn’t give each other an inch. Ferrari say they let their drivers race, but it clearly looks a bit of a sham. It’s only supposition, but Rubens (Barrichello) appeared to have a clear performance advantage over Michael (Schumacher) at Indy — and all of a sudden in the race it disappeared.

“It does make me angry, but I’m not going to waste energy over it, because clearly the FIA accepts it and clearly it is a positive-active decision by Ferrari to operate in that way. It sounds rather ‘holier than thou’, but I happen to believe we have an obligation to race.”
============

What he said is wrong in the sense that he neatly overlooked how his driver (Ralf) played a part in twisting the results, and how at the first restart MS did a better job. The pace of RB wasn't lost, RB was quicker than MS ...but merely 2 situations lost him the race lead. But no, he didn't bother elaborate.. just choose the part which causes damage and whack!

And by his own admission, it's all "supposition"...so i think it'd be alright if i suppose this and suppose that and start fancy stories about Williams? NOT..it's understandable as a race fan, but a senior member ought to use his head more.

Quote:"It sounds rather ‘holier than thou’" Indeed..it does sound that way, and it's the primary reason why i get irritated with such comments... They are a mere product of making your own team sound better at the expense of others...of course, bringing in Williams' old glory days as example because the current Williams is nothing but in shambles.

And people call it respectable and straight...well, ask Ralf how impressed he is when words leaked out that Head, believing what he said is off records, bad mouths him in front of journalists.

i don't think it's respectable.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 23:57 (Ref:1019591)   #29
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Like i've said, RB would, should, could have won USGP, and it's real unfortunate that he didn't. But to pass off every Ferrari 1-2 where MS finish ahead as team orders is ridiculous.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 00:39 (Ref:1019607)   #30
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Patrick Head lets off steam

Although there is a tread on Patricks USGP comments I found this interveiw in which he says a lot more than one would expect.
http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view...id=1&nid=94942

The Grumpy1
Old 29 Jun 2004, 01:20 (Ref:1019627)   #31
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
He has hit some nails right on the head and I'd like to believe him concerning the part of his team caring about the sport of F1. However it seems all the top teams, not just Ferrari, are selfish and tend to put their own interests first and leave the good of the sport for others to worry about, like Bernie and Max. A big problem imo.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 05:08 (Ref:1019702)   #32
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Yes TGF would win in a straight fight, but if Reubens had been able to race him during the last section of the USGP then he would have made for a lot more spectacular race than what we got.
Having said that maybe Todt and Brawn know that Mikey would rather run Reubens off the road rather than give up a win. (Damon and JV) Even if it meant not finishing himself!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 07:11 (Ref:1019750)   #33
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
What REALLY annoys Patrick is that his drivers have ranged in performance from ordinary to outright pathetic - Ralf keeps hitting things and JPM whines louder than the BMW in the back.

Lucky he'll have the Aussie boy next year to show these hacks how to take the fight to Shoe!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 07:46 (Ref:1019775)   #34
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
merged: exactly the same as another thread

although that one reminds me of many before
Old 29 Jun 2004, 07:48 (Ref:1019777)   #35
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, what really annoys Patrick is the downfall of his reputation. He was considered the best technical director in F1, but now he's not even near the top 3. Ross Brawn is clearly the top dog when it comes to technical directors (and this bugs the **** out of Patrick). What's worse he gave Geoff Willis a good mouthful in the press ranting on about how he was too conservative and look at BAR now. Gasgoyne will turn Toyota around, BMW will produce the best engine, and Williams will still be playing around for the minor positions.

Avoiding the autoscensor.

Last edited by Adam43; 29 Jun 2004 at 08:00.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 08:02 (Ref:1019783)   #36
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Frankly I take his words at face value.

Additionally from the rest of the article I get the impression that Head is generally very happy man at the moment.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 08:09 (Ref:1019788)   #37
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep Adam, I got that impression too.

I think the difference in Patrick these days, is the realisation that there is life outside F1 and he wants to enjoy it more.

In the Sunday Times article he makes the honest admission that frankly he doesn't want to work 70 hours a week any longer, he wants to spend time with his family, but he knows Sam Michael will - hence the reason why PH himself instigated the change.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 10:24 (Ref:1019868)   #38
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Furrari are winning drivers championships but thay are crucifying the long term reputation of the team
Old 29 Jun 2004, 15:21 (Ref:1020205)   #39
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by z2252314
No, what really annoys Patrick is the downfall of his reputation. He was considered the best technical director in F1, but now he's not even near the top 3. Ross Brawn is clearly the top dog when it comes to technical directors (and this bugs the **** out of Patrick).
Aren't Patrick and Ross a "different type of technical director"?

Patrick head is more in the Rory Byrne mould, i.e, more design of the car, whereas Ross Brawn is more in the mould of Sam Michael,i.e- more pit wall stuff?

Before the "change" at Williams, and subsequent move up for Sam, Patrick didn't make decisions on the pit wall, Sam did that.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 16:51 (Ref:1020316)   #40
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The comments of Ross Brawn have been much more ridiculous in the past. I'm just waiting, when he launches another frog from his babbling mouth.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:06 (Ref:1020391)   #41
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed.

Ross strikes me as the most arrogant man in Formula One.

His regular pontificating usually comes from being totally unable to see any point of view other than Ferrari = right, others = wrong, whatever the facts.

Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:17 (Ref:1020409)   #42
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah, but is that what he truly believes, or does he come from the Alistair Campbell School of Media Relations?
Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:19 (Ref:1020412)   #43
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
What is this? Technical directors we have hated?
Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:20 (Ref:1020415)   #44
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who knows?

As an example, the clash between JPM and MS at the Nurburgring last year.

Both drivers felt it a racing incident and had no ranting afterwards.

Yet Ross shouted his mouth off about Montoya.

Any perceived threat to Ferrari's bubble, Mr Brawn is there with something to say.

Yes, the team do a fantastic job, but he would do well to show a little humility at times.

Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:24 (Ref:1020424)   #45
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I fully expect something to be merged with this thread.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:25 (Ref:1020429)   #46
Kicking-back
Veteran

Or not
Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:32 (Ref:1020439)   #47
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Bog off Ah, yes personal abuse. I'll warn myself on PM. I'll also warn PM and KB for being sarcy so and sos.

Title changed ;p
Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:34 (Ref:1020444)   #48
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
NEWS FLASH:

Adam awakes from slumber.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:37 (Ref:1020448)   #49
Kicking-back
Veteran

Mine's a vodka, Adam.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 18:40 (Ref:1020454)   #50
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No alcohol in the forums mate. Sorry.

There's the door.