Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 1 Nov 2011, 10:04 (Ref:2980030)   #2276
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
To be honest , he is correct . It amazes me how few FSI/TFSI petrol engined machines there are , and why it took so long . possibily its an economic issue .

We had AMR with their Lola , and now Toyota are here ..... who else was there .

Glad about capello , brilliant driver and still sharp too .
Good point. Shows the relative lack of money available in the privateer space. Wasnt there meant to be a DI version of the AER 2L at some point?
Old 1 Nov 2011, 10:06 (Ref:2980031)   #2277
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would it work if Audi or Peugeot produced say a 3.4L FSI petrol engine solely for privateers sold at a price relative to the current privateer engines?
Old 1 Nov 2011, 10:21 (Ref:2980040)   #2278
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
DI won't give you extra 200Nm of torque. IMO, the current gap between the works cars and the petrols is made of:
wrong equivalence formula > advanced aero > advanced engine technology.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 10:39 (Ref:2980052)   #2279
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Would it work if Audi or Peugeot produced say a 3.4L FSI petrol engine solely for privateers sold at a price relative to the current privateer engines?
I suppose they could do that, but I don't know why they would if they would have to sell it at a reduced cost. Even if teams were willing to pay top dollar, would they want to risk competing against themselves? I know Audi has supplied engines before, but that probably did not cost them a whole lot and it wasn't a threat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
DI won't give you extra 200Nm of torque. IMO, the current gap between the works cars and the petrols is made of:
wrong equivalence formula > advanced aero > advanced engine technology.
The advantage goes beyond the cars themselves and the rules (and that is debatable). Just look at the drivers. We see all-star drivers running lap times quite a bit off their teammates within the same team. It's hard to explain the gaps, but the factory teams are probably pushing so hard that small differences in driving style vs. the preferred setup can lead to pretty sizable gaps. Even then, the factory teams have so many drivers that they can match the drivers by styles and such. Then there is the testing and simulation packages. If Audi and Peugeot entered a wheelbarrow race at the local fair, they'd probably spend millions doing their homework on the best ways to get the job done. Theoretical advantage with the rules or not, the biggest advantage Audi and Peugeot has is money and time.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 11:55 (Ref:2980093)   #2280
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Perhaps you do remember the 2007 Swiss Spirit Lola that had the Audi TFSI engine...it never worked.
Old 2 Nov 2011, 05:02 (Ref:2980455)   #2281
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
@AGD
Sure. Driver and team ability do play a big role of course. My point is that at the moment the diesels can afford to have major f*** ups, breakdowns and all the rest, and still be ahead of every petrol car, even when the privateers with good pro drivers have had a perfect day. This is nonsense of galactic proportions and giving those privateers some FSI engines won't even come close to fixing that, it will be negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited by Pandamasque; 2 Nov 2011 at 05:07.
Old 2 Nov 2011, 05:37 (Ref:2980460)   #2282
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
@AGDMy point is that at the moment the diesels can afford to have major f*** ups, breakdowns and all the rest, and still be ahead of every petrol car, even when the privateers with good pro drivers have had a perfect day.
Hey, it happens. Strakka was able to overcome some issues of significance at Silverstone in 2010 to take victory in LMP2. I don't know how perfect of a race everyone else ran in P2 that day, but the bottom line is that it is not unheard of for teams to have such an edge that they can park their car in the garage for a couple of laps while the car gets a detail job. Even if you think the diesel regs are wrong right now, the rules tend to hurt the likes of Audi and Peugeot more than the low-budget privateers. It may not be of great relevance today, but Audi could spend the money to develop quick change rear ends for the R8. That gave them a great legal edge until it was banned. These factory teams spend a lot of money to develop things that just end up useless because the rulemakers don't want them to get too much of an advantage.

Anyway, the diesel haters should not be looking at the equivalence rules. The visible smoke/filters rule is where they should focus their attention. I have a feeling we may see this become more of an issue in the future as the diesel teams have been forced to push things further.
Old 2 Nov 2011, 09:05 (Ref:2980505)   #2283
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Why have a rule that says , no visable smoke , and not enforce it at all . Why not get rid of the rule . Its just a joke .
Old 2 Nov 2011, 09:39 (Ref:2980519)   #2284
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Why have a rule that says , no visable smoke , and not enforce it at all . Why not get rid of the rule . Its just a joke .
It's a tough situation. Do you penalize a team during a race for showing smoke? The rulebook says they should, but the team themselves would not be amused to say the least and fans may become outraged if the battle royale they expected is short circuited by the ACO rulebook. So it's a tough call. I'm guessing Audi and Peugeot won't cry to the officials about the smoke since any penalty would probably hurt both of them, but I wonder if the privateers put any pressure on the officials on this point. I don't think I've heard any privateer team managers publicly complaining about it, but maybe I missed something.

But, yeah, the cars sometimes look like Pig-Pen from the Charlie Brown cartoons. At least it does on TV.
Old 2 Nov 2011, 12:42 (Ref:2980600)   #2285
haribo
Racer

haribo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
It's a tough situation. Do you penalize a team during a race for showing smoke? The rulebook says they should, but the team themselves would not be amused to say the least and fans may become outraged if the battle royale they expected is short circuited by the ACO rulebook. So it's a tough call. I'm guessing Audi and Peugeot won't cry to the officials about the smoke since any penalty would probably hurt both of them, but I wonder if the privateers put any pressure on the officials on this point. I don't think I've heard any privateer team managers publicly complaining about it, but maybe I missed something.

But, yeah, the cars sometimes look like Pig-Pen from the Charlie Brown cartoons. At least it does on TV.
I'm surprised that the privateers haven't made a bigger stink about the visible smoke as well. I mean - yeah, diesels smoke under power. Mine smokes like a chimney if I floor it after pootling around for a while.

But the visible smoke is so obvious, and since there's a line in the ACO rulebook about it, I'm surprised that no-one has said anything.
Old 2 Nov 2011, 12:56 (Ref:2980612)   #2286
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ACO is known for arranging things for manufacturers etc, but they're not fools. I'm sure there must be some reason behind the lack of punishment for the smoke rule. IIRC in the early days of the R10 TDI and 908 HDI, the rule was respected, and people complained the cars were sanitised with no sound / smoke.

First time I remember a diesel spitting dark smoke was the "laboratory 908" engaged in the 2008 Sebring race. (but I think the rule was not enforced by IMSA so it was legal) . Then 2008 passed and came the heavy rule tweaks, with restrictors and boost reductions etc, and from then the Audis and Pugs were smoking a lot with no sanctions.

So I'm inclined to think there must have been a sort of derogation toward that smoke rule because certainly the two diesel manufs complained that smaller air restrictors forced them to run richer mix, and that was not working together with the smoking deal, or something like that...
Old 2 Nov 2011, 16:04 (Ref:2980703)   #2287
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Its not a tough call at all ..... no visable smoke can only mean one thing ..... no visable smoke , or am I getting something wrong ? This can also be tested on a gyno .

Im not complaining about the smoke , just the rule that says no visable smoke . While the ACO are consistant about other rules , but not about this . Change the rule then .

Its really quite simple , and it doesnt look green friendly , does it .
Old 2 Nov 2011, 17:27 (Ref:2980737)   #2288
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Its really quite simple , and it doesnt look green friendly , does it .
Audi's commercials for "Clean Diesel" ring a little hollow when seeing the R18 puff smoke out of corners.
Old 2 Nov 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2980770)   #2289
rabbit_racer
Rookie

United States
Washington, DC
rabbit_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Audi's commercials for "Clean Diesel" ring a little hollow when seeing the R18 puff smoke out of corners.
In Audi's defense, their 2.T FSI motor puffs more than the any of the new 140hp diesels I've seen here in the States. Come to think of it most of the FSI/TFSI motors let out a nice big puff of smoke when you get on them fairly hard and they go to "full rich."

TDI's.. not so much at least in the version we get here.

Just some perspective from a VW/Audi owner.
Old 3 Nov 2011, 03:55 (Ref:2980918)   #2290
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Its not a tough call at all ..... no visable smoke can only mean one thing ..... no visable smoke , or am I getting something wrong ? This can also be tested on a gyno .
I'm not sure what a gyno is going to tell you about engine smoke. Maybe they'll recommend a good douching to clean things up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit_racer View Post
In Audi's defense, their 2.T FSI motor puffs more than the any of the new 140hp diesels I've seen here in the States. Come to think of it most of the FSI/TFSI motors let out a nice big puff of smoke when you get on them fairly hard and they go to "full rich."

TDI's.. not so much at least in the version we get here.

Just some perspective from a VW/Audi owner.
I'm not sure about the normal operation of current VAG gas engines, but as someone who looks after a 1.8T gas engine, I'm unfortunately well aware of the sight of smoke billowing from a VAG petrol engine!
Old 3 Nov 2011, 04:26 (Ref:2980919)   #2291
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Im not complaining about the smoke , just the rule that says no visable smoke . While the ACO are consistant about other rules , but not about this . Change the rule then .
Well, to be fair, they are nothing if not consistent with this rule - I am pretty confident nobody has ever been sanctioned for it!

It's a little daft that they love to call teams in over broken louvres or missing cheese wedges and not this, and they should be encouraging diesel technology to be as clean as possible, but they also need to preserve the racing entertainment and judging from the penalties levied for the former two we don't need another thing for them to call at inopportune moments...
Old 3 Nov 2011, 08:40 (Ref:2980963)   #2292
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not sure what a gyno is going to tell you about engine smoke. Maybe they'll recommend a good douching to clean things up!
Ermm ..... a bit of a typo that one !!!
Old 3 Nov 2011, 08:43 (Ref:2980964)   #2293
The Badger
Veteran

@CMK , well change the rule that says "No visable smoke" then . As I said before , its really quite simple .
Old 3 Nov 2011, 08:46 (Ref:2980966)   #2294
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Quote:
Ermm ..... a bit of a typo that one !!!
That should be nominated for typo of the year .

But no, i don't know what a "gyno" could tell about a smoking diesel, i think they are better at looking at not so mechanical stuff
Old 3 Nov 2011, 14:12 (Ref:2981089)   #2295
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
They're used to peering up things with a torch, so perhaps they could check for DPF being fitted???
Most diesels will smoke when provoked. My Golf 1.9TDI does. The thing is, Diesel Particulate Filters are fitted to STOP visible smoke. So somebody isn't playing by the rules, surely? Especially as diesels now make SOME noise... Added together, makes you wonder.
Old 3 Nov 2011, 19:14 (Ref:2981204)   #2296
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Maybe that's the reason why 908s no longer FAP.
Old 3 Nov 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2981209)   #2297
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe that's the reason why 908s no longer FAP.
Officially, the 908 V8 exhausts are still fitted with FAP. In this article from the car's launch there is this quote of Famin:

Quote:
Engine: "We have also made full of our experience with the V12. We ultimately decided to opt for a turbocharged diesel V8, the characteristics of which are very similar to those of the V12. The angle of the 'vee' is 90 degrees (compared with 100 degrees in the case of the V12) for balance reasons. The cubic capacity is 3.7 litres and the new V8 HDi FAP boasts peak power of 550hp. We ran it for the first time on the dyno on January 25, 2010."
I believe rules states FAP is mandatory for diesels. I'll have a look at the rules after diner...
Old 5 Nov 2011, 10:30 (Ref:2981821)   #2298
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Look how would be a private R18, fabulous job

http://h7.abload.de/img/80c978ea39f8fe7b4558267u1a.jpg
Old 5 Nov 2011, 10:33 (Ref:2981822)   #2299
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Look how would be a private R18, fabulous job

http://h7.abload.de/img/80c978ea39f8fe7b4558267u1a.jpg
huh? whats that?
Old 5 Nov 2011, 10:39 (Ref:2981826)   #2300
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Definitely some talented photoshoppers out there. I'd love Audi to be a bit more 'out there' with their works liveries. Or for Pug to change just one of their cars. Obviously asking too much.