Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Feb 2007, 19:26 (Ref:1839641)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
So, what about diesels then?

Gene suggests that diesel power could be a good thing for F1.I drive a diesel that is much better than its petrol equivellant.Thoughts please.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns18033.html
Old 12 Feb 2007, 19:29 (Ref:1839644)   #2
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i doubt F1 will ever go over to diesel, ethanol/methanol power os the most likely option for F1 as most of the engine technoligy currently enployed in F1 is directly applicable whereas withg diesel it would require an entirely new engine philosophy.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 19:30 (Ref:1839645)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If they sound like Audi R10's, no thanks.

If they can retain a decent sound, I'm all for it.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 19:41 (Ref:1839658)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey 6 litre
i doubt F1 will ever go over to diesel, ethanol/methanol power os the most likely option for F1 as most of the engine technoligy currently enployed in F1 is directly applicable whereas withg diesel it would require an entirely new engine philosophy.
In years to come F1 will have to show (whether we like it or not) that it is becoming environmentally friendlier,otherwise it'll become a sitting duck for the PC brigade.It's pretty common knowledge these days that the diesel equivellant of a petrol engine is far less polluting,more efficient and often more powerful.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 19:44 (Ref:1839664)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is a shame that F1 would consider pandering to the PC brigade.

I'd be far happier if they went alternative for technology reasons.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 19:50 (Ref:1839671)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I'd be far happier if they went alternative for technology reasons.
Well,from a European point of view,you would have thought that F1 would have gone diesel a while back.Come to think of it,most of my F1 loving buddies drive diesels as well.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 19:51 (Ref:1839673)   #7
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like PR waffle to me.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 19:56 (Ref:1839680)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Sounds like PR waffle to me.
To me it sounds like F1 missing another opportunity.

Looks like JV is going to be driving the pinnacle of motorsport.

P.S. Did I mention that Villeneuve is Gene's team mate?
Old 12 Feb 2007, 19:59 (Ref:1839685)   #9
zac510
Veteran

The car could be powered by crushed up butterfly wings and he'd still say "I think crushed up butterfly wings are feasible for f1 in the future."

If F1 were to do it, the whole series would be made diesel and that would kind of anull any uniqueness.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 20:02 (Ref:1839689)   #10
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I gotta agree that diesel would be a bad idea for F1, allow Audi to push the diesel technology (just imagine a diesel Ferra, Ferr, damn cant even say those together think the Italians would hunt me down and hurt me) But using bio-fuels wouldnt be a bad idea, esp if that includes regen tech for braking.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 20:04 (Ref:1839695)   #11
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
It's pretty common knowledge these days that the diesel equivellant of a petrol engine is far less polluting,more efficient and often more powerful.
i would think using common knowledge to understand F1 is far too obvious

but i see what you mean, ultimately using anything that is more environmentally friendly should be the way of the future, but can the manu's make money off of it is still usually the way decisions are made.
unless they have plans of introducing diesel fuel for more road cars i cant see them wanting that tech to be in F1.
imo F1 would be better served (in placating the P.C. brigade) by lessening the need for any sort of non renewable fuel by way of bio fuels, electric hybrids, and heat reclamation devices.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 20:05 (Ref:1839696)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yes, but what is the pinnacle of motorsport? The outright quickest cars with the best drivers or oil burners? It's all a question of personal tastes really.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 20:06 (Ref:1839697)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96
I gotta agree that diesel would be a bad idea for F1, allow Audi to push the diesel technology (just imagine a diesel Ferra, Ferr, damn cant even say those together think the Italians would hunt me down and hurt me) But using bio-fuels wouldnt be a bad idea, esp if that includes regen tech for braking.
We've already lost the sound of wailing V12's,but that's progress I suppose.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 20:24 (Ref:1839705)   #14
zac510
Veteran

I'm all for environmental friendliness too, but I'm just too cynical of drivers at Press/Media events
Old 12 Feb 2007, 20:49 (Ref:1839743)   #15
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wasn't the first engine a ci engine then some bright spark invented a ... spark plug thats technology! nowadays we have better technology to invent better more powerful and cleaner ci engines so why is that not hi tech enough for the pinicle of motor sport ?
Old 12 Feb 2007, 23:20 (Ref:1839860)   #16
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's pretty common knowledge these days that the diesel equivellant of a petrol engine is far less polluting,more efficient and often more powerful.
Er, I will pay the first one but 2 and 3 are only because you would be comparing turbo and non turbo's. In motorosport it is because the oiler's have an equivilency factor that was set before the intoduction of developments like common rail injection.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 23:53 (Ref:1839878)   #17
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see it not as pleasing the PC brigade, but rather a potential opportunity to exploit and research new technologies, which can add another interest dimension to the sport.

Diesel is a bit old hat for mine, and it's not going to solve oil problems long term, even if it is more efficient than the petroleum equivalent engine. I would prefer bio fuels, or at the least, bio blends...

Fuel efficiency is a necessary step to take. I can see us in 10 years time talking in amazement about how the modern f1 car generates the same power of the V10 era, even with disused bacon rinds used as fuel. Ok, i am being slightly fanciful and sarcastic, but you get the point...
Old 13 Feb 2007, 01:56 (Ref:1839919)   #18
Ciro Pabón
Rookie

Colombia
Bogotá, Colombia
Ciro Pabón should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a controversial (I hope) quote from "Ten ways to prepare for a post-oil society", that caught my eye this morning:

"1. Expand your view beyond the question of how we will run all the cars by means other than gasoline. This obsession with keeping the cars running at all costs could really prove fatal. It is especially unhelpful that so many self-proclaimed "greens" and political "progressives" are hung up on this monomaniacal theme. Get this: the cars are not part of the solution (whether they run on fossil fuels, vodka, used frymax™ oil, or cow sh*t). They are at the heart of the problem. And trying to salvage the entire Happy Motoring system by shifting it from gasoline to other fuels will only make things much worse. The bottom line of this is: start thinking beyond the car. We have to make other arrangements for virtually all the common activities of daily life."

Yes, I know, it's hard to swallow (at least for me: I've been "hung up" for many years and I am still hanging with all my might).
Old 13 Feb 2007, 09:13 (Ref:1840176)   #19
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
And the fields off........blowing more black smoke than a Russian tank......
Old 13 Feb 2007, 12:02 (Ref:1840309)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
And the fields off........blowing more black smoke than a Russian tank......
I would think that "over-fuelling" would be frowned upon by the FIA.

Indeed,in the future,F1 cars will need to pass some form of emissions test.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 13:06 (Ref:1840352)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I would think that "over-fuelling" would be frowned upon by the FIA.

Indeed,in the future,F1 cars will need to pass some form of emissions test.
Two options; they lead the way into an alternative fuel, like they already did in other technologies, or they follow the new standards that will eventually be created.

The alcohol (methanol) seems to be more suitable solution for the production cars, at least the US government is putting heavy investments and subsides to become the biggest producer of methanol and change the fuel, so maybe F1 will follow.

Anyway, there are already some companies that work in F1 that deal with this bio technology for sometime now.

Last edited by Bononi; 13 Feb 2007 at 13:08.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 13:14 (Ref:1840361)   #22
zac510
Veteran

Since fans have been regularly complaining about 'not enough overtaking' and 'one team dominate too much', the interest in technology by the governing body has taken a step back.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 13:23 (Ref:1840370)   #23
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't ethanol the most suitable solution for the production cars? IRL has already adopted ethanol as its only fuel and Audi has confirmed it will use an engine running on ethanol at Le Mans by 2010.

But changing the fuel is not the only step to take. Formula 1 should promote the development for fuel efficient engines as well.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 14:02 (Ref:1840397)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
Isn't ethanol the most suitable solution for the production cars? IRL has already adopted ethanol as its only fuel and Audi has confirmed it will use an engine running on ethanol at Le Mans by 2010.
That's been discussed a lot, and though it's considered the most suitable, the remains of the production of ethanol are highly pollutant, so another solution was found adding the methanol to the final product instead of expelling it.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I switched the chemicals ! Actually Ethanol is less pollutant, and it has been developed a fuel called BioDiesel with it, which better than the pure Ethanol, and methanol is more pollutant than the first. Sorry, my bad !

So please, my first post is about the BIODIESEL, now that I read it all.

Last edited by Bononi; 13 Feb 2007 at 14:18.
Old 14 Feb 2007, 02:24 (Ref:1840876)   #25
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In years to come F1 will have to show (whether we like it or not) that it is becoming environmentally friendlier,otherwise it'll become a sitting duck for the PC brigade.It's pretty common knowledge these days that the diesel equivellant of a petrol engine is far less polluting,more efficient and often more powerful.
But so it Ethanol and Methanol, and Bio versions are renewable sources which diesel isn't.

I'm all for F1 being at the forfront of new environmentally friendly technoligy, i just see diesel as a tempory solution.