M Schumacher 28 40.58%
Heidfeld 4 5.80%
Errr....someone else???? 5 7.25%
DC 18 26.09%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 Jun 2006, 18:41 (Ref:1640980)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Driver of the race - Canadian GP

Who is it then?

Alonso was faultless.

Michael was excellent, what might have been had he not qualified badly with that fuel.

DC back of the grid to points.

Heidfeld in the points....

Err....ummm.....
Old 25 Jun 2006, 18:44 (Ref:1640982)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Michael Schumacher... didnt really have the car underneath him today...yet he managed to pip Kimi for 2nd.... great drive...
Old 25 Jun 2006, 18:46 (Ref:1640983)   #3
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DC IMO.

Heidfeld had a solid day but he wasn't spectacular. He was behind his teammate all race until BMW called 8th place Heidfeld in for the final stop before then-7th place JV, who was being held up badly by Massa. Even with that a slow pit stop on JV's stop is what ultimately allowed him to pass his teammate. Still, Heidfeld scored 2 valuable points for BMW in a race that saw Honda score zero points. BMW is now within 10 points of Honda and Heidfeld is only one point behind RB in the WDC standings and only four points behind Button.
Old 25 Jun 2006, 18:49 (Ref:1640984)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmmm....I seem to have forgotten to add DC. Hold your votes and I'll get it edited.
Old 25 Jun 2006, 18:51 (Ref:1640988)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleneuveTracy
DC IMO.

Heidfeld had a solid day but he wasn't spectacular. He was behind his teammate all race until BMW called 8th place Heidfeld in for the final stop before then-7th place JV, who was being held up badly by Massa. Even with that a slow pit stop on JV's stop is what ultimately allowed him to pass his teammate.
atleast Nick didnt bin it...
Old 25 Jun 2006, 18:54 (Ref:1640992)   #6
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True but I can't help but think that JV was pressing too hard to beat NH after BMW decided to pit NH before JV, even though JV was quicker and ahead of NH, and then subseqently had a slow stop for JV. Favoritism from BMW, a team that claims it treats both drivers equally??? It could be a coincidence but it seemed that BMW wanted Heidfeld to finish ahead of JV today and did what McLaren did in this race last year to get Raikkonen past JPM...
Old 25 Jun 2006, 18:55 (Ref:1640993)   #7
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why Mr David, of course!
Old 25 Jun 2006, 20:15 (Ref:1641066)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleneuveTracy
True but I can't help but think that JV was pressing too hard to beat NH after BMW decided to pit NH before JV, even though JV was quicker and ahead of NH, and then subseqently had a slow stop for JV. Favoritism from BMW, a team that claims it treats both drivers equally???
They most likely stopped NH first because he would have run out of fuel if they hadn't. Perhaps they did this because they wanted JV to have a longer stint and get more running in on low fuel compared to the others who had just fuelled up (including NH)?

No doubt you have done some research before making this accusation that BMW sabotages JVs race on purpose. Well the first bits of data coming out do show that JV did spend more time in the pit lane at the second stop. 1.3s longer. Was this down to the staitionary time only? Did BMW purposely do this? No, they didn't. Interestingly despite this longer stop JV spent less time in the pits overall compared to Nick.

Another interesting point is how close was Trulli to all this. Did JV lose out to him too?

Soon the lap times and gaps will be available and it will be interesting to see if this 1.3s did lose JV the place. However even if it did that will not prove either way BMW tried to lose JV a place on purpose.
Old 25 Jun 2006, 20:16 (Ref:1641067)   #9
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
M. Schumacher, awesome drive shame he got held up for so long....could have won if not for qualy.
or
Massa another awesome drive good straegy aswell. Can he be added to the poll?
Old 25 Jun 2006, 20:40 (Ref:1641082)   #10
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
Quote:
They most likely stopped NH first because he would have run out of fuel if they hadn't. Perhaps they did this because they wanted JV to have a longer stint and get more running in on low fuel compared to the others who had just fuelled up (including NH)?
That is most likely the case. After cooling off a bit after the dissapointment of NH leapfrogging JV during the pit stop cycle and JV's subsequent crash I am willing to give BMW the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
Well the first bits of data coming out do show that JV did spend more time in the pit lane at the second stop. 1.3s longer. Was this down to the staitionary time only?
Yes, if memory serves me right JV's pit stop was 8.3 seconds while Heidfeld's was 7 seconds.

Both JV and NH were reeling Trulli in, even with Massa holding them up, until the last two or three laps before they pitted. JV had gained 7 seconds on Trulli while running light after Trulli pitted. NH made a similar gain. However, as Trulli's car became lighter he started to gain ground, due to Massa costing the BMW's valuable time. Neither driver came close to matching the times they ran while running very light at the end of the first stint due to Massa. By the time JV pitted his net gain on Trulli had been reduced to just under six seconds, about 5.6 or 5.7. That would not be enough to allow him to leapfrog Trulli, assuming he had a normal pit stop.

One reason this "conspiracy theory" has gained traction among JV fans is that JV pitted first under the first cycle of pit stops. However, Villeneuve was always 3-5 seconds ahead of Heidfeld after the first pit stop until he was badly held up by Massa. Perhaps BMW reasoned that only JV had a chance to beat Trulli and allowing him to run an extra lap while running light would increase the odds that he could beat Trulli. Indeed, if Massa had not been badly holding JV up he would have emerged from his second pit stop ahead of Trulli in 6th position.

As far as the actual benefit of Heidfeld coming in earlier, I believe he actually lost a tenth or two because he was heavier than JV for that one lap. JV's pit stop was 1.3 seconds slower and he came out the pits 0.5 seconds behind Heidfeld. That means JV had a cushion of 0.8 seconds and would have come out ahead of Heidfeld if he had a normal pit stop.

The poor pit stop is what cost JV the position but it seems unlikely that BMW called Heidfeld in due to favoritism. It simply would not have been enough to allow Heidfeld to pass JV. Actually, having Heidfeld stay out another lap is what would have helped him. At the time he had fallen almost two seconds behind JV and would have had a clear track for the extra lap with a very light car while JV was heavy. Of course, some JV fans are alleging that BMW had a slow pit stop on purpose. I don't buy that, though.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 00:35 (Ref:1641223)   #11
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've already voted on DC

but didn't you think to make separate thread with the best drivers' answers like...:

Quote:
Q: (MC) Can you clarify this, because we thought the right rear wheel hadn’t been changed at the first pit-stop.
KR: On the first one of the second?
Q: First one.
KR: I didn’t feel it.
Q: You didn’t feel any difference?
KR: No, they tried to change it and I don’t know if they changed it or not. Maybe they did but I think so the tyres were turning because the clutch wasn’t working so…
Q: But they hadn’t changed it?
KR: I don’t know. Usually they change it. I don’t look in my mirrors to see if they are changing it. I just get out of the pit-stop, so…
picked from FIA post-race press conference - Canada

I think for drivers conference is the most annoing part of any Grand Prix
Old 26 Jun 2006, 00:37 (Ref:1641226)   #12
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The brothers Shu were most memorable
M for the best drive of the race, his speed at the end was impressive
R for the worst

Alsways feel sorry for Alonso in these polls, he does everything right and never seems to win the vote!
Old 26 Jun 2006, 00:48 (Ref:1641231)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I'm going to take the opportunity to vote for Michael, as he did the most he could've given the situation post-start.

I still find it strange to go so long and then do a two-stopper, but that seems to be a common Ferrari approach.

Having said that, had he qualified in 4th, it could have worked out nicely. I suspect that the team were not counting on Trulli performing his qualifying heroics, thus the gamble didn't pay off.

Still, when push comes to shove, he got it home second. Commendable I feel.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 01:50 (Ref:1641248)   #14
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Just as Michael rarely got "driver of the race" when the Ferrari dominated, alas, Alonso does not get the credit he may deserve.

That being said, Michael drove the wheels off of that thang! Terrific performance.

Honourable mention to DC - the "greybeards" acquitted themselves quite well today.

Schumi Lite needs to write a refund check to Toyota...pathetic performance.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 02:28 (Ref:1641261)   #15
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I gave it to Scott Speed - that was the best I've seen of him.

Honourable mentions to Michael, Fernando and Jarno.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 03:51 (Ref:1641275)   #16
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gave it to the underdog - DC
Old 26 Jun 2006, 05:34 (Ref:1641298)   #17
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to give it to TGF, the guy had a stormer (once he got past that guy with the hair driving a Toyota)! If you take the fuel in consideration, he also had a great quali.

Alonso was once again faultless, but MS had the better race.

Have to mention DC also, not bad at all.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 06:59 (Ref:1641312)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
DC for me, but good drives by Michael, Nick, JV, and as usual, Alonso.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 17:57 (Ref:1641848)   #19
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
pforrester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso. I just can't get bored of watching this guy, and would happily see him win every race until the end of the season. The day I get no pleasure watching Alonso is the day he starts parking his car in qualifying or driving into other people, etc. He drove a faultless race while others made mistakes; such as Michael - fluffed the start, and also hit the wall out of the chicane (albeit resulting in no damage).

Heidfeld didn't really do a great deal better than his team mate, so if Villeneuve doesn't make it into the poll then NH doesn't deserve a vote IMO. Which leaves DC, who would have got my vote if Alonso hadn't been driving. A bit fortuitous I suppose, but he still had to get from the back of the grid. Pretty good race generally!
Old 26 Jun 2006, 19:10 (Ref:1641918)   #20
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only two who I think deserve a vote are Alonso and DC. My vote goes to Alonso though, a faultless drive in difficult circumstances with some great saves when the car started to slide around a bit.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 26 Jun 2006, 20:11 (Ref:1641997)   #21
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I voted for MS, but had Villeneuve finished, I would have voted for him. He is back. JV is back.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 21:42 (Ref:1642101)   #22
DPRacing
Racer

Sweden
Lund
DPRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heidfeld takes the best out of the BMW and scores points once again. Villeneve drove a great race until the retirement.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 22:01 (Ref:1642114)   #23
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for Alonso but a poll about whose driver did the worst would be far more interesting.

Insofar as concerns the candidates put for this poll, MS doesn't deserve to be there. He shortcut the last chicane at least three times, he hit the "Welcome to Quebec" wall once, he spun at the airpin twice, etc. He was extremely lucky to say the least (as with today's Italy win over Australia in the WC).
Old 26 Jun 2006, 23:14 (Ref:1642166)   #24
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, absolutely Michael does not deserve consideration. I mean, after all he was as far back as 7th and finished 2nd. Horrible.

While not present at the race I did watch it - don't recall Michael spinning twice - perhaps we are thinking of Shumi Lite? Alonso shortcut the chicane as well...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 00:06 (Ref:1642194)   #25
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Didn't Kimi do rather well?

Over a race distance the McLaren is not up with the Renault or the Ferrari, but at least he gave it 100%.