Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Jul 2013, 11:38 (Ref:3276553)   #3726
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
That's a brilliant idea, we'd all love to see that.

And that's why it will never happen.
Sorry this was a very funny post.

I hope the USCR isn't THAT stupid...
Old 11 Jul 2013, 12:08 (Ref:3276560)   #3727
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I know some GA teams wont like it - but surely the answer is the 'North American Endurance cup' where P1 entries are accepted to say 4 nr prestige USCR events - this could be done from 2015 and only happen if there were a minimum number of entries - say 8?

With proper cooperation these event could even count towards the P1 WEC championship
I agree that this would be the ideal, but we live in a strange world these days and it seems impossible.

I understand that committing to a U sportscar series is usually dependent upon sponsors who are mainly interested in the big races. Daytona, Sebring, possibly PLM and Watkins Glen 6 Hours and at a stretch Indianapolis and Laguna Seca, are the 'bigger' races on the schedules, so the season long entrants want to be seen to perform at those races.

The problem comes in because the series owns the event (OK, it originally started the other way around) and doesn't want to diminish the perceived value of the series' entrants by taking away their ability to be the "Winners of Sebring/Daytona/etc".

Put simply, the 'little' guys want to win the 'big' events, so refuse to commit to the smaller races that comprise a series if competition arises, and the 'big' don't want to spend on the 'little' events.

That sound about right?
Old 11 Jul 2013, 12:36 (Ref:3276569)   #3728
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Why not then leave Daytona as the little teams big event and let P1 run at PLM,Sebring and then add one new race at somewhere like Montreal
Old 11 Jul 2013, 12:43 (Ref:3276572)   #3729
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
If if if factory P1 cars are in a new series which would seem to garner attention, I wonder if that draws GTE's and P2's?

But you don't have the classic venues for North America, and you are in competition with a well-financed competitor.
...if not at war.

The question is, if there is so much genuine interest from manufacturers (and teams able and willing) to race P1 cars in the US, as in enough interest to overcome the difficulty of starting a brand a new series from scratch and getting into struggle with the behemoth organisation that NASCAR is, then why would NASCAR consider this interest and turn down such an opportunity in the first place? They may be loyal enough to their DP owners to screw ALMS teams, but I doubt they would turn down the opportunity to have their own US-bound WEC with all the bells and whistles. I find it hard that such interest emerged out of nowhere just recently when it was already too late for USCR to reconsider its class structure.

This makes me think that the whole story is simply there to be used in some kind of negotiation between USCR and some interested party(ies).
Old 11 Jul 2013, 12:51 (Ref:3276574)   #3730
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Why not then leave Daytona as the little teams big event and let P1 run at PLM,Sebring and then add one new race at somewhere like Montreal
Maybe they should make DP's their own stand alone series. Then they could still race for overall wins.
USCR could be LMP1, LMP2, GTLM, GTD.
Sounds good to me!
Old 11 Jul 2013, 13:22 (Ref:3276585)   #3731
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post

John Dagys ‏@johndagys 22h
@Kyle9456 sorry, no comment at this time.
Expand

John Dagys ‏@johndagys 8h
@Kyle9456 Like I said, I am not prepared to make a comment at this time.
Hide conversation
I feel like this is more an attempt at honest journalism and reporting than "I know something but have been instructed to keep my mouth shut." It would be fantastic if rumors were so true that people reporting on the sport knew a few specific pieces of information, but the pessimist inside of me says nay.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 13:45 (Ref:3276595)   #3732
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If these rumors turn out to be true it would be the death blow for any chance of a US DTM series. Not that that would upset me.....
Old 11 Jul 2013, 13:49 (Ref:3276599)   #3733
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I feel like this is more an attempt at honest journalism and reporting than "I know something but have been instructed to keep my mouth shut." It would be fantastic if rumors were so true that people reporting on the sport knew a few specific pieces of information, but the pessimist inside of me says nay.

Could be, but also keep in mind that everyone kept quiet about ESM trying to run P2 cars last October/November, because they didn't want to disrupt any deals or funding.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 14:11 (Ref:3276612)   #3734
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I strongly disagree.

If there was nothing to this rumour, he would say, I've heard the rumour, don't know anything about it, or dismiss it somehow. That would be the honest journalism answer... not to suggest he is being dishonest at all.

He is refusing to talk about it, and there is only one reason to do that.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 14:38 (Ref:3276621)   #3735
gregtummer
Veteran

IF this series happens (and it is a monster IF), they are going to have to get Audi, Toyota, Honda, and Porsche to commit to a 3-year deal with 2 cars per team at every race so the series can get some long term stability.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 14:47 (Ref:3276626)   #3736
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And which privateers would run in this series, knowing they would never get close to the podium---even if these factories all sold customer cars, unless they also provided the engineering crews and shared info from the factory teams, privateers would be racing for ninth and tenth.

Hard to get sponsorship knowing from the start you'd always finish last.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 15:05 (Ref:3276629)   #3737
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
On the John Dagy tweet,

for him to tweet back..there is something to the P1 rumor

or otherwise he wouldn't reply to the tweet!
Old 11 Jul 2013, 15:24 (Ref:3276635)   #3738
sheshnwoody
Rookie

sheshnwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just don't see those teams leaving WEC (Lemans) to come race in the US. Audi didn't think ALMS was worth it, why should they now? Sebring is no longer welcoming them in a P1. Toyota is already in Nascar and didn't care to race at Sebring when they were welcome!

This must be one of the best kept secrets in sportscars!
Old 11 Jul 2013, 15:30 (Ref:3276638)   #3739
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What I want to know is why didn't all of these folks speak up in the last few years and let people know that they wanted to run P1s in the US. If that had been the case we wouldn't have had the end of the ALMS and we wouldn't be going through all of these goofy conniptions with trying to ballance DPs and P2, USCR, etc. etc. The whole reason ALMS went under was the lack of good competition at the top of the food chain and now that it is dead and buried here they all come wanting to compete in P1 in the US and now we have to create a new series to accommodate them. Seem really strange to me.

DK
Old 11 Jul 2013, 15:34 (Ref:3276639)   #3740
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
I find it hard that such interest emerged out of nowhere just recently when it was already too late for USCR to reconsider its class structure.

This makes me think that the whole story is simply there to be used in some kind of negotiation between USCR and some interested party(ies).
Exactly what I think. And it's weird that e.g. Ganassi name comes up. If they had such huge interest, why are they not now in ALMS?
Old 11 Jul 2013, 15:36 (Ref:3276640)   #3741
gregtummer
Veteran

I wonder if this P1 stuff is what is slowing up the USCR rules and announcements?
Old 11 Jul 2013, 15:36 (Ref:3276641)   #3742
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Exactly what I think. And it's weird that e.g. Ganassi name comes up. If they had such huge interest, why are they not now in ALMS?
Ditto.

DK
Old 11 Jul 2013, 15:52 (Ref:3276645)   #3743
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
What I want to know is why didn't all of these folks speak up in the last few years and let people know that they wanted to run P1s in the US. If that had been the case we wouldn't have had the end of the ALMS and we wouldn't be going through all of these goofy conniptions with trying to ballance DPs and P2, USCR, etc. etc. The whole reason ALMS went under was the lack of good competition at the top of the food chain and now that it is dead and buried here they all come wanting to compete in P1 in the US and now we have to create a new series to accommodate them. Seem really strange to me.

DK
The reason the ALMS went under is because Panoz didn't want to own it any longer, and nobody would pay the ridiculous prices Atherton was asking... until Atherton ran it so far into the ground nobody would pay much of anything for it, and the only option they had left was NASCAR.

Porsche seems to be the leader on this, and they didn't have a P1 car to race previously. HPD has always been interested, but only if there was competition. Audi had issues with the ALMS themselves. There had been talk within the GT ranks about another series as well. Toyota Japan/AG haven't had enough of a budget to race here, maybe Toyota NA has an interest... or not.

----------

Nobody would leave the WEC to race in such a series, the entrants would come out of the North American/US marketing budgets. I too am sceptical of this.

My guess is the whole DTM thing was at the push of Audi, who wanted somewhere to race for overalls, that wasn't the ALMS. Now that Porsche is building a P1, and Audi has one... they are both interested in competing for overall victories. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, "if" there is anything to it.

As far as a schedule... take a look at Indycar, and add a couple from there.

Ganassi... he's a businessman. If someone wants to pay him to race in X... that is likely what he'll do.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 16:08 (Ref:3276652)   #3744
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
Quote:
The reason the ALMS went under is because Panoz didn't want to own it any longer, and nobody would pay the ridiculous prices Atherton was asking... until Atherton ran it so far into the ground nobody would pay much of anything for it, and the only option they had left was NASCAR.

Porsche seems to be the leader on this, and they didn't have a P1 car to race previously. HPD has always been interested, but only if there was competition. Audi had issues with the ALMS themselves. There had been talk within the GT ranks about another series as well. Toyota Japan/AG haven't had enough of a budget to race here, maybe Toyota NA has an interest... or not.
I agree to some extent. However, I don't think Panoz didn't want to own it anymore because he was tired of it. I believe he was tired of dealing with the manufacturers and their constant bickering. I think if he knew Porsche, Toyota, Audi, etc. interested in racing in P1, he would have held on to it and kept it going. Conjecture only on my part for sure, but I remember some interviews with Panoz just before the merger and the disgust and disappointment expressed by him were pretty palpable.

DK
Old 11 Jul 2013, 16:18 (Ref:3276653)   #3745
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So much speculation and ideas. I guess what could be done is have a series with LMP1 as the main class and then come to an agreement with the SCCA to have its GT3 class come in and be in the field as well. As we know there is room for the GT3 platform in the USA too. That can be used to the advantage of the folks who want a breakaway P1 series as well.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 17:07 (Ref:3276677)   #3746
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
So much speculation and ideas. I guess what could be done is have a series with LMP1 as the main class and then come to an agreement with the SCCA to have its GT3 class come in and be in the field as well. As we know there is room for the GT3 platform in the USA too. That can be used to the advantage of the folks who want a breakaway P1 series as well.
It wouldn't be the SCCA GT3 class, but the FIA GT3... if it were to happen.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3276786)   #3747
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I can see it happening. If the manufacturers push for it. This is North America, and I know this is Toyota's biggest hybrid market. Porsche is huge here as well, and Audi. HPD is in America on top of it. Like the rumors of TRD USA interested in a P2 for USCR, I wouldnt be surprised to see a p1 interest if there was a place to run it. This hopefully expands and serious talks get underway. The twitter/facebook age we live in allows us to express our wishes and these companies realize this. They do pay attention so get your word out!
Old 12 Jul 2013, 00:41 (Ref:3276833)   #3748
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
It wouldn't be the SCCA GT3 class, but the FIA GT3... if it were to happen.
P1 with GT3 would be great. I don't know how this will happen but it would be the best thing I could ask for after what seems to be happening next year.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 04:45 (Ref:3276868)   #3749
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this new p1 series were to follow indycar.....I wouldn't mind a p1/indycar weekend at laguna.that I would empty my wallet for! I've been missing open wheelers at laguna for a long time now
Old 12 Jul 2013, 04:56 (Ref:3276869)   #3750
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whether this will come to pass is still anyone's guess, but I think where there's smoke there is liable to be some fire...how much and how persistent is the question. There've been rumblings about this for months, and not for nothing, because the reason for interest (which is a very different thing from commitment corporately speaking) is obvious. We have 3-4 manufacturers (depending on what the nature of the incipient HPD program is) who are producing cars with only one place to run them, one that has very little exposure in a very very important market.

The question then is how much money Audi, Porsche and Honda (and Toyota?) might be able to put up, especially if it comes largely from NA divisions - though the value of NA exposure could be worth a little bit to parent companies. That's probably the ONLY question. If the factories pay, then putting on a series is the easy bit. Sure, making a really good series is a little harder, but money solves most problems handily. Remember the glory days of the 07/08 ALMS were brought to you with substantial financial input from what manufacturers, again?