Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Nov 2011, 08:00 (Ref:2987578)   #976
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
In other news, the President of Mazda hinted at a return to Le Mans during a speech at the LA Auto Show:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/motorsh...te_speech.html

Of course, that does not mean all that much. Is he talking about the AER MZR-R? The rumored (and supposedly shelved) Skyactiv petrol and diesel engines? P1 or P2? Who knows.
Also the phrase "Could be on the cards" is an very vague way of saying that if Mazda continues to experience growth and sees an opportunity to gain a surplus (in marketing value) of running in Le Mans, they will think about doing it .

But of course, a statement like this is only good as he could have said nothing about it.
Personally i think a Le Mans return could be possible, but most likely in GT2 with the RX8 replacement.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 08:09 (Ref:2987587)   #977
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Personally i think a Le Mans return could be possible, but most likely in GT2 with the RX8 replacement.
Is there a planned successor for the RX8?

Of course, Mazda was last "at" Le Mans with OAK in 2010. Ok, that was just Mazda France sponsoring the car, but Mazda has a history of being cheap. Their idea of being back at Le Mans might be to just badge OAK's Judds or something like that.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 08:45 (Ref:2987598)   #978
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Is there a planned successor for the RX8?

Of course, Mazda was last "at" Le Mans with OAK in 2010. Ok, that was just Mazda France sponsoring the car, but Mazda has a history of being cheap. Their idea of being back at Le Mans might be to just badge OAK's Judds or something like that.
Well sort of.
Rumors was strong before the crush, and development of an actual successor was/is likely a slowly paced program. But Mazda has said that the Rotary isn't dead and that they will continue the development of it.
But the lack of market for a sportscar bigger than the Mx-5 is likely the main blow. But this is likely changed with the FT-86 from Toyota and Subaru, i don't think Mazda will allow Toyota and Subaru take the market completely. Besides Nissan is having marketing success with the GT-R, this could also be an aim for Mazda.

Any case, a Mazda return to Le Mans will in my mind only happen with a rotary!
Old 17 Nov 2011, 08:46 (Ref:2987599)   #979
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found some more quotes:

Quote:
“I’m not saying we will participate in Le Mans, but most people know that the companies that win use diesel, and our SKYACTIV technology is very efficient and gives strong torque.

“Unfortunately right now the Yen situation is putting huge pressure on profitability, but once the Yen improves or the situation is overcome then we will give a desire to return more actively to motorsport.”
http://www.caradvice.com.au/146625/m...-continue-ceo/

According to that same article, Mazda is still committed to rotary engines and has a RX-8 replacement on the horizon. So, anyway, perhaps a Le Mans program isn't imminent at the moment but could happen in the future.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 09:36 (Ref:2987618)   #980
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
I really wish Dome would come back! That's by far my favourite Lmp of recent years.

If it is with Inoue I hope they stay well away from marshall cars though.
I have a soft spot for Dome too, not least because they were at my first Le Mans

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-06-10-007.jpg

The S102 was a good looking car, but the Euskadi was prettier (and mean looking in black) - I'd love to see them back.

I'd love to see a Mazda rotary back at Le Mans, but I don't imagine there's a GT2 RX8-replacement coming any time soon!

M
Old 17 Nov 2011, 12:18 (Ref:2987683)   #981
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Rotary Diesel? That could be fun.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 16:52 (Ref:2987817)   #982
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Rotary engine could be used under the 2014 energy equivalency rules due to there being no mandate on displacement or # of cylinders ect. Rotary engines are not that great for fuel economy but poss. coupled with a hybrid/KERS system who knows. We may see all kinds of engine designs come forward due to more freedom in design...

Rotary diesel - not so sure, I wonder what that would sound like...

Didn't Subaru have a diesel boxer engine on the drawing board last year, seemed to fall off the radar though.

Last edited by Livininthinair; 17 Nov 2011 at 16:59.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 17:15 (Ref:2987827)   #983
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livininthinair View Post
Didn't Subaru have a diesel boxer engine on the drawing board last year, seemed to fall off the radar though.
It's running in the Legacy - have been for more than a year now.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 18:15 (Ref:2987855)   #984
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livininthinair View Post
A Rotary engine could be used under the 2014 energy equivalency rules due to there being no mandate on displacement or # of cylinders ect. Rotary engines are not that great for fuel economy but poss. coupled with a hybrid/KERS system who knows. We may see all kinds of engine designs come forward due to more freedom in design...
Mazda has had Hydrogen powered RX8's on the road for a few years in Norway, and 5 years in Japan. Maybe that could work with a fuel efficiency formula.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2987861)   #985
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Not forgetting this: http://www.dailysportscar.com/viewAr...A17046717C6413

...minus Mazda. Most unlikely anyway, but those comments from the auto show would be a bit weird just before of an official announcement. Right?
Old 17 Nov 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2987863)   #986
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post
Audi and Peugeot can sell their current cars off to private teams to enter in Petit. Toyota doesn't even have to go to Bahrain since it is not a full season entry AFAIK. So we could still see the big guns fight at Road Atlanta, just not the full works teams.
I think that is a daydream. Audi & Pug has not shown great interest in customer cars let alone one-off attempts and secondly, the team comprises pretty large part of the big gun equation.

Last edited by deggis; 17 Nov 2011 at 18:42.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 08:01 (Ref:2988120)   #987
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
I think that is a daydream. Audi & Pug has not shown great interest in customer cars let alone one-off attempts and secondly, the team comprises pretty large part of the big gun equation.
ORECA does have a 908 HDi FAP. Kolles ran a pair of R10s also last year. Yeah these are not at the level of the works teams but it is not like there is no recent precedent.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 10:39 (Ref:2988167)   #988
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
I think some people here are way overestimating the appeal the PLM has to the European squads.

Peugeot for example has no marketing interests in the US at all, they always did the PLM because it was either part of a championship (ILMC) or because it was one of the rare chances of racing against Audi.

No Audi, no championship, no interest from Peugeot.

And for the European privateers, there was word last year already that the PLM isn't exactly the favorite race for most teams for some reason we don't know.

So I hardly doubt that most of the teams will put much effort into competing in the PLM even if there was a one-week gap to the Bahrain race. Let's face it, the race is a fan favorite for sure but European teams aren't exactly dying to go there.

If the race is moved by a week, Audi could show up if Audi NA provides the funding. If the races clash, even that's impossible as Audi simply does not have enough pro-drivers for two sports car races at once.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 13:40 (Ref:2988242)   #989
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In other news, Olivier Quesnel is stepping down from the position of PSA Sport Director, with Dominique Serieys being the likely replacement.

Last edited by kober; 18 Nov 2011 at 13:45.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 15:40 (Ref:2988293)   #990
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
https://twitter.com/#!/dsceditor/sta...53421698998275

Quote:
Greaves go with Zytek Nissans again for 2012 - Renate Ojjeh buys a new chassis for the campaign! #LM24 #WEC
So Karim Ojjeh may have retired from driving, but his family is still backing the team...
Old 18 Nov 2011, 16:11 (Ref:2988302)   #991
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
So Karim Ojjeh may have retired from driving, but his family is still backing the team...
So they'll have the chassis they ran in 2011 and another new Zytek chassis? Or will it be a "new to them" used chassis? There should be a lot of old Zyteks out there.

Either way, it's good to see Zytek back in LMP2 in 2012. It would have been unbelievable if nobody chose the Zytek LMP2 chassis after all the success it had in 2011.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 16:13 (Ref:2988303)   #992
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
So they'll have the chassis they ran in 2011 and another new Zytek chassis? Or will it be a "new to them" used chassis? There should be a lot of old Zyteks out there.

Either way, it's good to see Zytek back in LMP2 in 2012. It would have been unbelievable if nobody chose the Zytek LMP2 chassis after all the success it had in 2011.
Not sure, but if the rumours about Greaves' plans for 2012 are true, this should be a second car for the team alongside the one that won LMP2 at Le Mans this year.

Also, I suspect this car may be reserved for a father-son team for Le Mans.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 16:40 (Ref:2988313)   #993
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Not sure, but if the rumours about Greaves' plans for 2012 are true, this should be a second car for the team alongside the one that won LMP2 at Le Mans this year.

Also, I suspect this car may be reserved for a father-son team for Le Mans.
There will be two new 2012-spec cars for Greaves Motorsport, one owned by the team, one owned by Renate Ojjeh.

The current car has been acquired by the team for its test programme.

More news soon.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 18:02 (Ref:2988348)   #994
AGD
Veteran

Dagys is reporting that the Brundles will drive for Greaves in the LMS.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...teks-for-2012/
Old 18 Nov 2011, 18:34 (Ref:2988383)   #995
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111118/ALMS/111119830
Autoweek says that Luca Di Grassi could be eyeing a seat with Peugeot for next year's 24 Hours of Le Mans
Old 18 Nov 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2988440)   #996
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post
ORECA does have a 908 HDi FAP.
Is that a fact? And did you miss the Toyota+Oreca announcement?

Quote:
Kolles ran a pair of R10s also last year. Yeah these are not at the level of the works teams but it is not like there is no recent precedent.
I remember but in both cases old cars (Oreca 908 @ LM '10 - was even that the latest development?). I think it is right to say they have not shown great interest.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 20:07 (Ref:2988441)   #997
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
I remember but in both cases old cars (Oreca 908 @*LM '10 - was even that the latest development?). I think it is right to say they have not shown great interest.
Oreca's Peugeot in 2010 (at least for Le Mans) was to full factory spec, possibly the ultimate proof of that was the fact that it went kaboom just like the factory cars.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 20:10 (Ref:2988444)   #998
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post
In other news, Olivier Quesnel is stepping down from the position of PSA Sport Director, with Dominique Serieys being the likely replacement.
This was rumoured during the Wales rally and Quesnel denied it in an tv interview and didn't seem to be upset about the question at all. Apparently the reason for these rumours are the way he managed Citroen's driver situation.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 21:17 (Ref:2988487)   #999
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think if the driver debacle (sending your brightest hope for the future into the arms of VW) had come last year in the wake of the LM blow ups then it could have been bad for Olivier.

Will be interesting to see whether there is any truth to these rumours.
Old 19 Nov 2011, 01:08 (Ref:2988591)   #1000
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i doubt that the 908 HDi is really a propriety of oreca.
About audi's private cars i have doubt on this too, during the summer there were rumors about an r18 that could be used by abt team in ALMS.