Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 5 Jul 2003, 03:38 (Ref:653030)   #1
power&glory
Racer

power&glory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda Commercial

This is interesting. Shocking, really. I'm watching the Philippoussis/Grosjean semifinal on NBC today and this commercial comes on for Honda where they say the "why we race" routine. To my disbelief, it's a long commercial with half motorcycle clips and half 2001 FedEx Championship Series clips. Most of them are of Michael Andretti at Monterrey Mexico 01, plus some garage shots of the Motorola Reynard, and then a close up of the "powered by Honda" logo on one of the TKG Reynards, a close up of PT's face with a big Honda logo on his helmet, some onboard with Alex Zanardi at Mid-Ohio 01,a close up of Dario's face, a close up of Adrian's face and Reynard, and some more Michael clips going through the opening complex at Monterrey that are wide and have a few other Champ Cars in the shot.

I was totally stunned. After all the commercials that I've been seeing that are like "this year, Honda will be in the IRL" and have all these clips of Michael's crapwagon at Homestead, or Franchitti's, or the "why don't we turn right?" thing, or whatever, they show this commercial where Honda cars are clearly turning right and have CART logos visible on them. And they even show PT, who is like Honda enemy #1.

Why on earth did they do this? Why did I see this commercial? Has anyone else seen this? Has there ever been any indication that Honda is interested in CART at all?

Last edited by power&glory; 5 Jul 2003 at 03:40.
Old 5 Jul 2003, 09:54 (Ref:653152)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Honda are probably just reliving they're glory days.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 5 Jul 2003, 11:31 (Ref:653198)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were wondering if anybody really CAN tell the difference between crapwagons and real race cars ...