Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Apr 2007, 19:17 (Ref:1899556)   #1
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Arena Zytek 07S

Thought I would start a thread on this machine as word on the vine suggests its going to be testing at Paul Ricard for 3 days at the end of this month. This although interesting in itself, is made more interesting due to the fact that Peugeot are most likely going to be there as well.

It should give us a clue as to the potential pace of Zytek's new beauty, going by the out-of-the-box pace of the Barazi car, I am hoping for big things. Especially with Shimoda and Chilton back at the wheel......Johannson is rumoured to be heading down to Castellet as well....3 pretty fast guys in a potentially very fast chassis

Perhaps Pug may have something to be afraid of come Valencia.....Swiss Spirit are also bound to be quick....anything Audi has to be - right?!
Old 24 Apr 2007, 19:37 (Ref:1899575)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting. Will be able to get any reliable testing time information?
Old 24 Apr 2007, 19:42 (Ref:1899581)   #3
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
lets just hope the engine holds together.......just kidding 04s!!!!.......errrr, no pug have nothing to be afraid of whatsoever
Old 24 Apr 2007, 19:57 (Ref:1899599)   #4
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
lets just hope the engine holds together.......just kidding 04s!!!!.......errrr, no pug have nothing to be afraid of whatsoever
at a track like valencia with a shimoda and a chilton peugeot shoudl be afraid, as they say, NEVER underestimate your enemies, but for me the enemy is puegeot arena are the good guys and ill be cheering them on at silverstone at the end of the year.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 21:40 (Ref:1899680)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
errrr, no pug have nothing to be afraid of whatsoever
I'm not saying anyone will beat Peugeot, but if Audi are affraid of P2's in the ALMS, I would think Peugeot will have competition from Zytek on tight circuits.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 23:13 (Ref:1899728)   #6
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
but dont the LMP2 cars in the US run lighter than the European equivalents?......and with a tad bigger restrictor?........yes I do see your point about LMP2's threatening LMP1 on a smaller track like valencia.......but wasnt the reason Pug dominated their first race due to their high corner speeds, linked directly to huge torque of the diesel motor, therefore they run an uncomparable high amount of downforce to everyone else, therefore on a tight twisty track, the pug corner speed will be a significant factor......or am i mistaken somewhere?.........
Old 24 Apr 2007, 23:31 (Ref:1899736)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
but dont the LMP2 cars in the US run lighter than the European equivalents?......and with a tad bigger restrictor?........yes I do see your point about LMP2's threatening LMP1 on a smaller track like valencia.......but wasnt the reason Pug dominated their first race due to their high corner speeds, linked directly to huge torque of the diesel motor, therefore they run an uncomparable high amount of downforce to everyone else, therefore on a tight twisty track, the pug corner speed will be a significant factor......or am i mistaken somewhere?.........
ALMS P2 are not lighter, just have the bigger restrictor.

Valencia is not about corner speed. I would imagine that mechancial grip, downforce, and breaking will be the important factors. That, and getting through traffic.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 23:34 (Ref:1899737)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
P2's in the US run to the same weight but keep last years 5% larger restrictors, in Europe they've been pegged back.

Impressively they are competitive with the P1 Audi without actually being given any extra (compared to 2006) performance breaks.

I wouldn't say the downforce of the Peugeot will be an advantage at Valencia, as top speed isn't an issue, unlike Monza/Le Mans, so all cars can run max downforce without worrying about straightline speed.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 23:45 (Ref:1899742)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting to hear people talking about LMP's running maximum downforce. I dont beleive that I have ever seen a LMP running a full rear wing on a european circuit. Sure I have seen LMP's running some wing but never quite a full rear. It will be interesting to see just how large the wings look when in maximum downforce specification.

By the way does anyone have any idea as to the rules of rear wings for the LMP and GT cars? I was always under the impression that it was a single plane rear wing for both classes but going by high res photos ive seen recently that doesent seem to be the case anymore.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 23:48 (Ref:1899746)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
P1/P2 have double element rear wings, GT1/GT2, have single element rear wings.

I thought the old LMGTP cars had to use a single element wing, but apparently not.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/bentleylmgtp1.htm

Last edited by JAG; 24 Apr 2007 at 23:58.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 23:59 (Ref:1899754)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah I was just about to say the same JAG after looking at some photos of the Peugeot. It will be interesting to see if they do run full downforce at Valencia as I dont beleive they have run a full rear wing as of yet. At least not in public.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 05:38 (Ref:1899821)   #12
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Interesting to hear people talking about LMP's running maximum downforce. I dont beleive that I have ever seen a LMP running a full rear wing on a european circuit. Sure I have seen LMP's running some wing but never quite a full rear.
Donington Park LMS race last year is probably the closest you would get.

In terms of rear wing, you have to find balance between front and rear so the amount of wing used will be dictated by the amount of front-end downforce you have within what has been homologated.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 07:46 (Ref:1899878)   #13
Mirage M6
Racer

Mirage M6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zytek and Arena have to work very hard if they want to beat Peugeot this year -the first year and first race they're going to work together-, when in 2006 Zytek couldn´t do anything against Pescarolo, Creation and Courage at LMS, and RfH Dome at Le Mans 24 Hours.
I would like to see Arena-Zytek win the next race (or another that can beat Peugeot ), but I think it´s still early to hope a victory.

Ferdinand Porsche
Old 25 Apr 2007, 08:18 (Ref:1899910)   #14
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
chocmonster7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage M6
when in 2006 Zytek couldn´t do anything against Pescarolo, Creation and Courage at LMS.
I suggest you go and watch a tape of the Donington LMS round. If that is Zytek not doing anything against the other teams then I don't know what you're wanting! Arena have a lot of experience running sportscars so I don't forsee too many problems now that they've finally taken delivery of the car.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 13:40 (Ref:1900129)   #15
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocmonster7
I suggest you go and watch a tape of the Donington LMS round. If that is Zytek not doing anything against the other teams then I don't know what you're wanting! Arena have a lot of experience running sportscars so I don't forsee too many problems now that they've finally taken delivery of the car.
It was their best LMS race in terms of performance. They led the race and they did not finish. The result was Pesca (P1), Creation (P2 and P3) and Zytek (P 27). At other LMS venues, they did not exactly sparkle. They have always benefitted from strong driver line-ups but the weak link will always be the use of the V8 for endurance racing.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 13:49 (Ref:1900141)   #16
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the zytek was very good last year in terms of speed, very good drivers but until petit the car was woefully unreliable mainly because of the engine, but still the zytek was very quick and in lighter form it had the leg over the audi R10 at petit and laguna.

arena are a incredibly talented team, i believe they ran the audi sport UK operation back in 2003?, then i think in 2004 and 2005 they ran the zytek motorsport operation they definetely did in 2005 as tom chilton raced for them through a tie to zytek(arena).

put it this way, if i was peugeot i would be worrying, the zytek is a front running car in terms of speed, its efficient but reliability is questionable and im holding my breath on this one.
but peugeot have to worry about qualifying at least, with shimoda and chilton driving a very quick car they will atleast be a force to be reckoned with in qualifying, i think racepace they will be very quick as well but reliability as i said is questionable.

but my allegiance is 100% with arena, chilton and shimoda for this year as well as RFH and jan lammers and the courage's.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 14:06 (Ref:1900151)   #17
canam
Veteran

I think you are confusing Apex personnel (2004 and 2005) with Arena motorsport.

The engine is the weak link as it creates problems with other parts of the car (like the Mugen did with the Courage). Pole will either be Audi or Pug by up to five seconds against the nearest petrol rival.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 14:18 (Ref:1900156)   #18
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
I dont think that the Audi or Peugeotwill be anything like 5 seconds a lap faster than the nearest petrol cars. At least not in qualifying. At Monza the lead Peugeot was 1.6 seconds faster than the 3rd placed Charouz Lola, and with respect to Charouz I do not think they are as fast as either the Zytek or the Swiss Spirit Audi will be. Still, Monza is what 3.6 miles. Double the length of Monza and half the circuit length again and you have the length of a lap at Le mans, the differnce between the Peugeots and the Charouz Lola would be at most around 4.4 seconds going by how big the gap would be at Monza if the circuit was that length. IMO though the Zytek's will be signifcantly faster than the Charouz Lola so the gap to the Peugoets and Audis should be signifcantly less. Id be suprised if the Zytek and Swiss Spirit Audi was more than 3.5 secs slower than the Audis and Peugeots in qualifying trim. If indeed they are slower at all.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 19:39 (Ref:1900393)   #19
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
Arena ran the Audi R8 for Johansson Motorsports back in 2001.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 03:30 (Ref:1900595)   #20
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just to update. It is a three day test taking place on the 26,27 and 28 of May. Shimoda, Chilton and Johansson will be on hand, I will update with times if I hear of any.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 06:46 (Ref:1900648)   #21
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love 04s
Just to update. It is a three day test taking place on the 26,27 and 28 of May. Shimoda, Chilton and Johansson will be on hand, I will update with times if I hear of any.
Do you mean April or does this mean Valencia is out?

I must admit I admire everyones optimism, and hope they are right, but I cant see the Zytek coming out of the box and being 2 secs a lap faster than the Pescaraolo.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 08:08 (Ref:1900697)   #22
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
The Zytek is on the entry list for Valencia with Johansson & Shimoda as drivers (Chilton will be on BTCC duty).
Old 26 Apr 2007, 08:59 (Ref:1900738)   #23
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And looking at Barazi's performance at Monza I expect the Zytek to be VERY quick. (but maybe with some teething to do...)
Old 26 Apr 2007, 14:51 (Ref:1900984)   #24
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
noone stands a chance until the aco changes the diesel regulations.
as it stands, they are a joke.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 16:00 (Ref:1901027)   #25
class4v
Racer

class4v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, insiders talk about 3.26 or 3.27 for the pole time at LM this year by the diesel cars. Don't forget we haven't seen the diesel cars at their maximum yet. No straight line speeds have been recorded at Monza as it seems the radar was broken...