Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 Apr 2010, 15:04 (Ref:2679965)   #176
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes they're not the cheapest. I was told that the new upgraded 320Si bodykit (as used by Motorbase) which costs a fair bit of money, actually has no aerodynamic or performance advantage at all. It's just a money making exercise for the men in Munich!
Old 26 Apr 2010, 18:29 (Ref:2680069)   #177
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Yes they're not the cheapest. I was told that the new upgraded 320Si bodykit (as used by Motorbase) which costs a fair bit of money, actually has no aerodynamic or performance advantage at all. It's just a money making exercise for the men in Munich!
Cost price of parts alone for the new front end is £10K. That is without painting and fitting!

So trebor901, for you to say Collards repair bill is bs is yet another comment you have made that is wide of the mark..
Old 26 Apr 2010, 18:42 (Ref:2680078)   #178
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, interesting comments here

I'm all for a punishment, and I think this was a perfectly fair one, but this is the BTCC - if I see penalties any bigger than that, then they just lost a fan .

Car contact, nudging opponents wide, is all encouraged, even by the commentators!

Sure, there has to be a line, but if a penalty like this means that there is less good racing here, then forget it - its a bad move. All I can say is that the officials didn't lose their head, and didn't "do an F1". Perfectly fair in my opinion.

If you want non-contact, processional races, F1 is always there. Suggesting that he should be pushed back 10 places at Rockingham (which he wasn't anyway), is too extreme in my view.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 19:13 (Ref:2680107)   #179
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post

I'm all for a punishment, and I think this was a perfectly fair one, but this is the BTCC - if I see penalties any bigger than that, then they just lost a fan .

Car contact, nudging opponents wide, is all encouraged, even by the commentators!

Sure, there has to be a line, but if a penalty like this means that there is less good racing here, then forget it - its a bad move. All I can say is that the officials didn't lose their head, and didn't "do an F1". Perfectly fair in my opinion.

If you want non-contact, processional races, F1 is always there. Suggesting that he should be pushed back 10 places at Rockingham (which he wasn't anyway), is too extreme in my view.

I think thats a good summary to the argument, I only would encourage more of a penalty and fine as this type of blatant contact to remove a driver from the race is inflicting heavy costs which could remove that driver from the series as budgets are tight. Take Paul O'Neill as an example could the team have absorbed the cost...doubtful and we dont want to lose anyone this year by others not racing fairly.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 05:44 (Ref:2680323)   #180
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But Paul is Matt's best mate and he wouldn't dare take him out of a race would he?

Oh hang about....
Old 27 Apr 2010, 07:14 (Ref:2680343)   #181
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

There's a big difference between accidental bumping and nudging [which is acceptable in touring car racing] and a move to 'take somebody out'. If Matt Neal decided to do his trademark 'tip' on the inside rear of a BMW running through Church, somebody could loose their life. The penalties need to be more severe for malicious driving. A GBP250 fine is a joke really.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 17:26 (Ref:2680632)   #182
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

It may be encouraged, but it doesn't make it right. This discussion has been done to death.

As I've said before, if your view of circuit racing is that nudging and bumping is acceptable then I suggest a trip to Arena Essex or Hednesford, where that is not just encouraged but also legal.

If the fans BTCC is attracting are those that want contact, and punishment of drivers for contact loses those fans, then I'm all for that. Contact should be actively discouraged. For those who want to disagree, take a look in the National racing forum for a thread on how 2 cars were written off, another badly damaged and a driver ended up in hospital, all from a BTCC-style "nudge" (DMN, Brands). Look at the damage done, and the cost involved from that incident, and then tell me that contact in long-circuit racing is a good thing.