Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Sep 2003, 16:58 (Ref:723227)   #1
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
03-04 Rules wishlist

Its coming to the end of the season - time to start to think about the next. There have been lots of new rules introduced, and like them or not, they probably played a significant role in tightening up the championship. What would you like on your wishlist for next year?

I love the one lap qualifying, but I think it'd be much better if they cut out the Saturday qual's, and ran single lap qualifying on Sunday, allowing teams to refuel before the race.

The new scoring system is *ok*. Its nice to give points to the top 8, but 2 extra points for a win is not enough. It encourages drivers to settle for second when they might still have a shot for the win. Lets go to 10-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

Standardized parts: Forget it. That will ruin F1.

Rolling starts: Silly.

Ban Refueling?
Ideas? Comments?
Old 18 Sep 2003, 17:14 (Ref:723242)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Rolling starts : no.

Sunday quals : no.

Standardized parts : no.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 17:17 (Ref:723243)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Points - how about 12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1? I'd liek to add a point for pole and a point for the fastest lap as well (or perhaps for leading the most laps, as they have in CART). And perhaps a point for being fastest in Friday qualifying.

Rolling Starts: No

Qualifying on Sunday: Depends on a few things, as I've explaied elsewhere. Personally I think ahving better support races (including vintage cars if posisble) is a better way to give the fans better value

Standardized Parts: I'm in favour of it, because it'll cut the costs and allow the teams to concentrate on pushing the envelope of performance back in the more exciting areas.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 17:23 (Ref:723247)   #4
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Bon, you are saying you like qualifying the way it is?
Old 18 Sep 2003, 17:32 (Ref:723256)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quly: same.
Pts.: i like your idea Boots, 12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1

Ban traction control and other driver aids. Keep refuelling because at the moment it keeps us guessing on who is on what load.
Keep a 1pt for pole, so the teams will be in a dilema either to go for the pole pt. OR run a heavier load and gradually play themselves into the GP.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 17:42 (Ref:723266)   #6
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep qualifying as it is.............
Standard parts is a good idea but doubt it will ever happen.....
Remove all driver aids...........Give em slicks and take a bit of downforce of em...........More like it used to be.........Only with far safer cars...........
Doubt anyone can say when they used slicks and stuff the racing was not good.........
Old 18 Sep 2003, 17:46 (Ref:723269)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not realistic, but what I want.

No driver aids.
Old Q system.
Ban refuelling.

I'm not keen on the points system and in the day it is just tweaking, but I would like more for a win.

I've gone for simple stuff that would be relatively easy to impliment. However I would like the next big change to the cars to come about sonner rather than later. Keep the engines, but ditch the aero.

Here are some aero reducing and cosmetic changes:

More rule to stop winglets. They bore me. However I like variety in body. So ban winglets, but allow sculpture. I would also like some other tweaks to the rules. I would like to control the number of elements and also have minimum and maximum sizes werre appropriate. And some control over the profile. I also reckon the on board TV cameras could be hidden better too. Designated space in designs to hide them a little.

I would get rid of the complex front end plates and complex barge boards.

Oh and low noses.

And possibly wider cars too.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 17:52 (Ref:723276)   #8
the Farouk
Rookie

the Farouk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New rules:

Slicks
Point for Pole position
Spending caps -- Allow teams to develope whatever technology they want but everyone has to abide by a spending limit.
turbos
Old 18 Sep 2003, 17:58 (Ref:723287)   #9
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with your idea about the points system. But has single lap qualifying really made much difference? I don't think so. The backmarkers are still at the back, occasionally a 'name' will start last and work his way through the tail-enders in a more powerful car not exactly exciting watching Ralf, Kimi or Rubens passing Verstappen or Wilson and so on. I'm more interested in the racing at the other end.
Get rid of Launch Control back to the old qually format and as someone else mentioned points for qualifying. Maybe Minardi can put a squirt of fuel in and score 16-18 points a year.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 18:08 (Ref:723295)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Redblurr
Maybe Minardi can put a squirt of fuel in and score 16-18 points a year.
Yeah right! Minardi have amassed 30pts. in their F1 history!! If they get a pt in a season it would be a success.unless some rich guy comes and spends millions on the team
Old 18 Sep 2003, 18:14 (Ref:723299)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I defiantely agree with banning Launch Control, and msot driver aids if it can be accurately policed, especially after the startline fiascos of fast cars being unable to avoid collisions due to stalled ones.

A return to the wider cars and true slick tyres definately sounds good, but it's too logical and popular for the bosses to consider.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 18:15 (Ref:723300)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Bon, you are saying you like qualifying the way it is?
No I don´t like it. I only think they won't change it all, because it seemed to work the way they wanted to...
Old 18 Sep 2003, 18:18 (Ref:723304)   #13
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
Yeah right! Minardi have amassed 30pts. in their F1 history!! If they get a pt in a season it would be a success.unless some rich guy comes and spends millions on the team
Yeah right- don't take it out of context. As you well know I was referring to suggested new points system for qually. That could or would ironically give Minardi more points than they can only dream about. It would not take millions how much is 1.5 litres of fuel?
Old 18 Sep 2003, 19:02 (Ref:723355)   #14
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooooh, good topic, I've been thinking about this one for a while...

Dear Santa:
For Christmas this year, please tell the FIA to pull their collective head out of their and enact these rule changes:

Race Procedures:
Change points to 12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1
Keep qualies the same, but allow refueling before the race.

Aerodynamics:
Flat endplates, limited in size
Center-mount rear wings
Max # of elements: 1 Front, 2 rear

Mechanicals:
Remove 2 grooves from front tires, 1 from rear
Mandate mechanical throttle and gearchange linkages
(clutch design is free)
Increase max track width by 60cm
Ban traction control

Please oh please, I've been a good boy this year...

Last edited by shiny side up!; 18 Sep 2003 at 19:03.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 19:29 (Ref:723392)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DOn't get your hopes up, people.
The FIA isn't exactly blessed with common sense and respect to the fans....
Old 18 Sep 2003, 19:30 (Ref:723394)   #16
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give us back the more exciting Saturday qualis.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 21:17 (Ref:723511)   #17
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
*keep current points but have a point for pole and a point for most place made in a race
*increase wings size
*reduce tank size (more fuel stops)
*longer races (the cars can handle it these days)
Old 19 Sep 2003, 02:22 (Ref:723685)   #18
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Go back to proper slicks to increase grip & allow more overtaking under breaking.

Keep the points system for the top 8 only. You don't want to reward mediocrity.
The 3 point gap between 1st & 2nd is a good idea.
I think there needs to be a bigger gap than 2 points.

Keep the 1 lap shootout, but let the teams top up the cars with fuel afterwards.
I'm getting tired of the "who's running light/heavy" discussions.
Most teams use the same strategies now anyway.
And it's too hard to tell when someone has done a great lap or just running light.

The main priority must be to increase overtaking in F1 whatever that may be.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 02:52 (Ref:723698)   #19
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
But on a serious note.....

How about giving extra points whenever someone says something controversial or bags another driver.

To increase competition within teams, the driver who is beaten by his team mate has to be his butler for the week.

If you get beaten in pool without getting a ball in you have to do a lap of the table right? Well how about if you fail to complete a lap of the race you must do the same thing!

At pit stops the driver must have to get out of the car & refuel himself. Then go & wait in line, pay the cashier & drive off. Bonus points given if he buys a pie & eats it.

Introduce a bonus "Jos point" if you can take out the leader of a race.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 06:50 (Ref:723776)   #20
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I could write a list of manual gearboxes, launch control, etc etc, but I'll try to be realistic...

- No Launch Control or Automatic Gears - Already taken care of by the FIA
- No change to the point system, but if there has to be, then 11-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 would be a good system.
- One point for most places made up during the race, that'd give people starting at the back a good chance.
- No rolling starts
- One engine per weekend
- 1 Lap shootout on Saturday, normal one hour session on Friday
- F3000 race on Sunday morning
- Extend free testing from 2hrs over the weekend to 4.
- Steal brakes - there is no reason to have carbon brakes over steal, as they are more expensive, and detrimental to racing.

From 2005 onward:
- All teams allowed to submit a third car during qualifying. The top six of these additional qualifiers would be allowed to start from the back of the grid (in order of their laptimes), and race, but not be eligible for points.
- Greater limits on wing elements
- 18 race season with greater testing restrictions.

From 2006 onward:
- Slick tyres
- Low noses (ie. front wing must be mounted directly to the nose, without support structures and so-forth)
- Wider track cars, back to 1997 widths

Well that'll do for now.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 07:41 (Ref:723825)   #21
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Points system: 1 point (or 0,5 if someone reckons it's too much) for Friday provisional pole (the only way to create an interst about friday quals)
Tyres deregulation: slicks and no limit in widht
(aerodynamics will provide a natural one, i guess)
Old 19 Sep 2003, 07:49 (Ref:723832)   #22
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
- Steal brakes - there is no reason to have carbon brakes over steal, as they are more expensive, and detrimental to racing.

When racing at Spa, the teams could hire some guys from Schaerbeek to steal some brakes. would take them less than 3 minutes.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 07:55 (Ref:723843)   #23
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
26 Identical spec cars,so we can actually see who the BEST driver.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 08:57 (Ref:723889)   #24
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeeeeeeeeeees. No.

For me?? A ban on all electrical power sources (batteries, dynamos, solar panels) and slicks.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 08:57 (Ref:723892)   #25
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*friday quals - old style - 12 laps
*saturday - as it is now, but allow refuelling before the race

*points 12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1

*ban all driver aids

*leave refueling

*bring back the slicks and reduce aero add-ons

*ban radio!!!