Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Apr 2007, 13:32 (Ref:1883379)   #1
Finn
Racer

Finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HSCC, Donington - 15th April

Provisional entry list below,

good grids, should be a great day.

http://www.hscc.org.uk/Donington%20Park%202007.htm
Old 5 Apr 2007, 06:49 (Ref:1883830)   #2
gojo
Rookie

gojo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like another great hscc event,Iwill be trying to pedal my saloon car around as usual.
Have to say the hscc are a pleasure to race with,with some super events lined up for the coming season
looking foward to meeting old friend's etc.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 14:14 (Ref:1889740)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This wasn't on my calendar, but the entry list makes the event very inviting, and I'm now sorely tempted to make the journey. Who else is going?
Old 12 Apr 2007, 14:36 (Ref:1889749)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
should be a great selection of races, and a busy weekend, no doubt there'll be sensible control of Paddock space as is the Norm at Donnington
Old 14 Apr 2007, 17:09 (Ref:1891203)   #5
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
thebullet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ill be there couldn't miss a day with an entry list as big as that!

anyone seen the weather yet hope it is as nice as today
Old 15 Apr 2007, 18:57 (Ref:1892285)   #6
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a very good meeting. Impressive grids and it bodes well for the season. Beautiful weather too.

Allen
Old 15 Apr 2007, 19:38 (Ref:1892339)   #7
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
thebullet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Fantastic day of racing, Great start to the season!
Old 16 Apr 2007, 09:03 (Ref:1892778)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, a summer's day in April. Great atmosphere, catching up with friends, loads of great cars, some not quite ready for the season (plenty of oil and steam about!), and some very good racing. I'll put some pics up later although I'm pretty disappointed with my efforts this time - still should be able to find a few that are approaching presentable!
Old 16 Apr 2007, 11:37 (Ref:1892861)   #9
Teddington Ted
Racer

Teddington Ted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes a good day of racing. Nice to experience Doninton in the warm and dry for once. Thankfully Mark Oldfield's spectacular plume was caused by a loose oil filter so probably not as expensive an incident as it looked.

I enjoyed HRS. Nice to see a few new cars out. Some of the times given for qualifying looked a bit odd although it all shook out in the end.

Are there any guidelines on odd times ? If you are given a time that is obviously completely wrong what should you do ? I suppose most people (maybe me included) would just take the time if it is advantageous and whinge like hell if it isn't.

Thoughts anyone ?
Old 16 Apr 2007, 12:01 (Ref:1892874)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddington Ted
I enjoyed HRS. Nice to see a few new cars out. Some of the times given for qualifying looked a bit odd although it all shook out in the end.

Thoughts anyone ?
I gather it was a bit rough and ready with at least one ten tenther in an FIA car getting nurfed by a hot rodder as he passed the hot rod. It is no surprise that so few FIA cars will come out with HRSR.....
Old 16 Apr 2007, 12:22 (Ref:1892894)   #11
Teddington Ted
Racer

HRS = Historic Roadsports
Old 16 Apr 2007, 12:37 (Ref:1892911)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
oops sorry! I get so confused with the initials! That is for teh non FIA cars rather than the newly named Guards Trophy isnt it?
Old 16 Apr 2007, 13:12 (Ref:1892949)   #13
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yes a good day of racing. Nice to experience Donington in the warm and dry for once. Thankfully Mark Oldfield's spectacular plume was caused by a loose oil filter so probably not as expensive an incident as it looked.

Are there any guidelines on odd times ? If you are given a time that is obviously completely wrong what should you do ? I suppose most people (maybe me included) would just take the time if it is advantageous and whinge like hell if it isn't.

Thoughts anyone ?
Quick walk upstairs and talk to the timekeepers is your first action. Bear in mind the strict deadline if things are so serious that you want to put in a protest. (You would be, I guess, protesting against a start position.) The Chief Timekeeper is actually a Judge of Fact so you would, in effect, be inviting them to re-consider their decision - they cannot be overturned.

Regards

Jim
Old 16 Apr 2007, 14:04 (Ref:1892999)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Pit & Paddock

Right, the usual format, I'll start in and around the pits!

John Rand's Palliser WDB2, with Barry Sewell's Marcos 1800GT in the background, but there's quite a bit more going on in this pic, isn't there?:-

Patrick Walker's Cooper Bristol gets fuelled up:-

Peter Denham's Reynard SF78 trickles into the pits after qualifying:-

I hope he will forgive me, but I'm calling this pic 'Hands-on Hadfield'. Simon adapts a silencer to fit James Murray's Brabham BT36:-
Old 16 Apr 2007, 14:53 (Ref:1893045)   #15
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Thoughts anyone ?
To my knowledge, the problem with 'odd times' is mainly due to faulty or non existant transponders. MST (the timekeepers) do their best, in those circumstances but the size of their teams are now reduced in an effort to contain costs and attempts at manual timing can sometimes give rise to some inaccuracies. If an individual competitor is unhappy about their times, we can always ask the timekeepers to double check but if they can't find any 'just cause' to amend them, we don't have much option but to 'go with what we've got'. Hope that helps?
Old 16 Apr 2007, 15:27 (Ref:1893089)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Pit & Paddock

Neil Glover 'gloves up' in preparation for qualifying for the DBT race in his Lola T300'332. Great helmet, too:-

Mike Wrigley had just 2 troubled laps in qualifying in his T300:-

Alfas awaiting scrutiny, but what has caught my eye is the gentleman in overalls, with shades, long hair and a cigarette, heading towards the camera. It doesn't bear too much scrutiny, but an initial glance transports me back many years - Keke, anybody?:-

39 - Mike Walker's Keift, 52 - John Monson's Lotus 20b, 31 - Kevin Musson's Lotus 18, 19 - Chris Gawne's Lancia Aurelia B20GT, 26, Melvin Floyd's Fiat 124Sport Coupe, 57 - Jonathan Gomm's Lotus Cortina and in the background, 88 - Paul Davis, Lotus 20:-
Old 16 Apr 2007, 15:34 (Ref:1893093)   #17
simon drabble
Veteran

I always thought Fiat 124 Coupe's as being very pretty cars (the Mk1 rather than the Mk2) but never realized that they raced, can you fit the Arbath engine to them?
If the man with eth long hair and fag out of his mouth is who I think it is he will be very flattered with your comparison! He races a Morgan and has an Ace I think and collects Bentleys, nice guy.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 16:06 (Ref:1893118)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Simon Robert's Lotus Esprit:-

Untangle this lot. How many cars (or roll bars!)?

Unusual pitlane partners. Alan Harper's Elan pulls away, whilst Howard Bentham's version awaits attention. Michael Lyon's Merlyn MIIA just reposes!:-

Rebecca Ruff's Porsche 911:-
Old 16 Apr 2007, 16:20 (Ref:1893127)   #19
Teddington Ted
Racer

Paul Conway aka Keke
Old 16 Apr 2007, 16:24 (Ref:1893131)   #20
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Paul Conway aka Keke
I was going to save his blushes by keeping his name off the board - hi sparents might not know he smokes!
Old 16 Apr 2007, 16:43 (Ref:1893156)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Short Demo run!

OK, but do you agree that a quick look gives a passing resemblance to the great Mr Rosberg?

I must admit that I'm still not quite sure what this was all about, but damn glad it happened anyway. At lunchtime, Simon Hadfield took one lucky guy out in Frank Sytner's glorious ex Le Mans Cobra coupe for a couple of demo laps.
'Thumbs up'

With no other cars running, Simon opened her up exiting the pit lane. A sound to die for (well almost!):-

Many of you will know this already, but the gentleman to the right of the photographer, looking on, is Race Director, Grahame White, so official attention at the highest level!:-

Gorgeous beast!
Old 16 Apr 2007, 18:56 (Ref:1893281)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Is it just me, or do Alfas look wrong on Minilites . . .Campagno darling, Campagnolo!!!

and . . .nice Aurelia. very nice. Joes cars got a good looking tail end too!
Old 17 Apr 2007, 14:44 (Ref:1893867)   #23
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA cars and 'hotrods'

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
I gather it was a bit rough and ready with at least one ten tenther in an FIA car getting nurfed by a hot rodder as he passed the hot rod. It is no surprise that so few FIA cars will come out with HRSR.....
Sorry to see Simon's comments. I know the HRSR committee is very keen to stamp out bad driving and has taken steps to rid the series of this plague. A bit disturbed re. the 'hotrod' term! Also, the FIA cars are not always what they appear to be. I understand the dice between one of the Anglias and the 2 Mustangs was incredibly close but clean.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 15:09 (Ref:1893889)   #24
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents
Sorry to see Simon's comments. I know the HRSR committee is very keen to stamp out bad driving and has taken steps to rid the series of this plague. A bit disturbed re. the 'hotrod' term! Also, the FIA cars are not always what they appear to be. I understand the dice between one of the Anglias and the 2 Mustangs was incredibly close but clean.
I think if an Anglia is dicing with Mustangs in the dry at somewhere like Donington it is fair to call them hotrods!!
I am afraid it does seem like a few continue to spoil it for the majority. I wasnt there so cant comment on the minute detail but can tell you that the car which was tapped into a spin is an FIA car as I know it well and was repapered into the new HTP papers a month ago.
It has the potential to be a great series but as more avenues for non FIA cars are shut down it will ineviteably become a hot rod series going down a racing cul de sac!
Old 17 Apr 2007, 15:20 (Ref:1893897)   #25
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But if that is a market that needs catering for, is there anything wrong with it?