Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 9 Jun 2012, 21:33 (Ref:3088225)   #1651
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Go the Ford!
Old 9 Jun 2012, 22:26 (Ref:3088248)   #1652
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
Mpc were the only ones to test a new radiator set up, they claim it was a success but it was that cold at hamptons I think it was A premature statement.
Possibly, but the races were run in warmer weather at Hampton Downs than Manfeild.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 00:03 (Ref:3088277)   #1653
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Now just to sort those pesky gear boxes, again, some teams having no probs, others heaps. Aparantly the calibration has a lot to do with it, gotta be spot on, if it's not, look out.

Also maybe prep work, as I know at least some of the teams are stripping and rebuilding the gearboxes every round since the first round, and replaced gears etc in them after every event,
but still a gearbox that need a rebuild and replacement parts evey time you use it to be reliable probably isn't what the teams are after.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 01:11 (Ref:3088285)   #1654
Biggy G
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
Also maybe prep work, as I know at least some of the teams are stripping and rebuilding the gearboxes every round since the first round, and replaced gears etc in them after every event,
but still a gearbox that need a rebuild and replacement parts evey time you use it to be reliable probably isn't what the teams are after.
No, not at all, especially when the point of the class is to not have those sorts of things going on between rounds.

Wonder what the differences are though, those that I know of that haven't had to touch them vs. those that are having to pull apart and replace things.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 04:50 (Ref:3088307)   #1655
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
No, not at all, especially when the point of the class is to not have those sorts of things going on between rounds.

Wonder what the differences are though, those that I know of that haven't had to touch them vs. those that are having to pull apart and replace things.

I bet all the teams that haven't had thiers apart for alook inside by now will be doing so after the last round.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 05:09 (Ref:3088310)   #1656
Biggy G
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
I bet all the teams that haven't had thiers apart for alook inside by now will be doing so after the last round.
I don't think anyone hasn't at least had them apart, that wasn't what I was trying to say, what I was saying is that people are pulling them apart, finding nothing much wrong and putting them back together.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 05:47 (Ref:3088314)   #1657
Intrepid
Racer

New Zealand
Intrepid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be interesting to see how many failures of the gear box relate to who has opened them up and done what with them...

I cant help but think maybe, just maybe a bit of the old NZV8 mentality could come into it. Strip it down for a looksee on Monday, see what we can do to make it go better.

Does anyone know of any teams that havent touched anything? And how their gear boxes have held up...

Is temptation getting the better of some teams. If so its unfair to blame the Quaife box. If not, by all means
Old 11 Jun 2012, 00:23 (Ref:3088765)   #1658
BackSeat Driver
Racer

BackSeat Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Rat resiging as CEO from Super Tourers.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 01:13 (Ref:3088775)   #1659
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hmmm, not only that but it would seem that Cherie Brown is no more either:

NEW EVENT MANAGEMENT TEAM

Details
Created on Sunday, 10 June 2012 11:33
V8 Supertourers Managing Director, Mark Petch announced today, that as part of an internal restructure that the company has appointed motor racing event management company, GR8 as their new event managers.

"GR8's principals Gary Lathrope and Rachael Murray, make a great team and we are delighted to have such an experienced motor sports event team on board with us, they combine an excellent understanding of both the sports side of our event and the hands on work that has to go in to making each event a success. We would also like to acknowledge and thank Cherie Brown for all her hard work, and enthusiasm in helping us grow the brand and wish her well in her future endeavours;" said Petch.

V8 Supertourers are in a high growth phase, as we count down to what will be the biggest domestic motor racing event since the glory days of the Wellington street race. "It's fitting that we return to the ancestral home of New Zealand endurance racing, Pukekohe, welcoming a number of prominent overseas drivers to that event, on the weekend of the 27/28th of October next. The racing will be both fast and furious, as will the entertainment line up we have in place for the Saturday evening concert." said Petch.

Tickets will go on sale for the Pukekohe 500 at the end of June.

Pity for Cherie, she is a good person. I won't speculate as to what went on there.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 03:25 (Ref:3088788)   #1660
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSeat Driver View Post
The Rat resiging as CEO from Super Tourers.
Story Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Jun 2012, 04:38 (Ref:3088799)   #1661
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh thats not good. Hope it doesn't affect the series too much. I hope things are all ok in the ST camp??
Old 11 Jun 2012, 05:44 (Ref:3088813)   #1662
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
After doing some further reading i can now see that these changes are in no way bad for the series, its just a simple re-shuffle which is what most businesses are doing right now. Good on the ST guys for being so up front, like they normally are.

Bring on the enduros
Old 12 Jun 2012, 01:14 (Ref:3089330)   #1663
M3 Racing
Rookie

M3 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Mpc were the only ones to test a new radiator set up, they claim it was a success but it was that cold at hamptons I think it was A premature statement.
Hi all. The radiators in the MPC cars were designed, tested and supplied by M3 Racing as Paul Manuell is the NZ PWR agent. We ran all three of our cars with them as well as the MPC cars. There are others with them ready to fit but they ran out of time pre-Hampton.
We haven't heard how the new V8ST supplied radiators got on during the weekend but know that our PWR radiator/oil cooler combo worked great for us and MPC certainly weren't complaining!

Kerry Holland
Old 12 Jun 2012, 06:15 (Ref:3089363)   #1664
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Thats great news M3 Racing. Hopefully thats the 'overheating' monkey off the V8ST backs
Old 12 Jun 2012, 06:29 (Ref:3089366)   #1665
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Good on the ST guys for being so up front, like they normally are.
if that is genuinely the case, NZSTFan, then where is the press release regarding the gearbox issues???
Old 12 Jun 2012, 11:13 (Ref:3089488)   #1666
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Racing View Post
Hi all. The radiators in the MPC cars were designed, tested and supplied by M3 Racing as Paul Manuell is the NZ PWR agent. We ran all three of our cars with them as well as the MPC cars. There are others with them ready to fit but they ran out of time pre-Hampton.
We haven't heard how the new V8ST supplied radiators got on during the weekend but know that our PWR radiator/oil cooler combo worked great for us and MPC certainly weren't complaining!

Kerry Holland
When are you testing the hollinger?
Old 12 Jun 2012, 23:21 (Ref:3089875)   #1667
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this was just on speedstuff:
http://www.speedstuff.co.nz/v8supert...rbox-solution/
Old 13 Jun 2012, 07:27 (Ref:3089946)   #1668
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbutler View Post
Yeah I guess that is one of the problems of a large capacity, you get big torque no matter what your horsepower. Power is a function of torque and revs anyway but you get more torque earlier with a long stroke although less power as max. revs won't be as high.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 20:41 (Ref:3090369)   #1669
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
lets hope this fixes the problem i.e the change of steel for internal components. I think with the quaife being a true sequential as opposed to the box used in the current supercar is a significant differentiator for the ST class. Although in saying that, if i could make one change, it would be to have longer gearsticks much like what we see in supercars. It just makes the whole in-car visual so much more appealing.

On another note, i remember when the series first got off the ground and it was said that everything was controlled right down to the gearknob. But i noticed on some youtube footage of Gaunts car that his gearknob is black, not white, and does indeed look slightly diffferent to the 'older' cars. Just an observation, and no doubt a pointless one
Old 13 Jun 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3090431)   #1670
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that MP suggests that V8SC teams are servicing their Hollingers every second round or in some cases mid-meeting...
Kind of feels like the idea of a full season bulletproof box is a tougher creature to capture than first thought.. Also gives a fairly good understanding of why you’d try something different to the Hollinger.

Given that Quaife themselves say they worked closely with V8ST, you’d think they’re pretty keen to make sure their product is fit for purpose (and the fact that they’re willing to make modifications is probably evidence of that).
Old 14 Jun 2012, 08:01 (Ref:3090551)   #1671
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:
lets hope this fixes the problem i.e the change of steel for internal components. I think with the quaife being a true sequential as opposed to the box used in the current supercar is a significant differentiator for the ST class. Although in saying that, if i could make one change, it would be to have longer gearsticks much like what we see in supercars. It just makes the whole in-car visual so much more appealing.

On another note, i remember when the series first got off the ground and it was said that everything was controlled right down to the gearknob. But i noticed on some youtube footage of Gaunts car that his gearknob is black, not white, and does indeed look slightly diffferent to the 'older' cars. Just an observation, and no doubt a pointless one
The current box in super cars is a true sequential.

I agree about all the anodizing etc that has gone on to make stuff look pretty, control part fit it.
Old 15 Jun 2012, 01:51 (Ref:3091206)   #1672
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
The current box in super cars is a true sequential.

I agree about all the anodizing etc that has gone on to make stuff look pretty, control part fit it.
Are you sure its a true sequential? i thought it was a converted H-pattern.

I do realise however that the COTF uses a true sequential
Old 15 Jun 2012, 02:06 (Ref:3091209)   #1673
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Are you sure its a true sequential? i thought it was a converted H-pattern.

I do realise however that the COTF uses a true sequential

posted 6th June on HD thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane GTA View Post
The current Holinger RD6S is a sequential box, there may have been some confusion with the older H6S sequential conversion.
Old 15 Jun 2012, 02:27 (Ref:3091214)   #1674
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Ok fair enough, thanks for the clarification Joe
Old 15 Jun 2012, 13:56 (Ref:3091468)   #1675
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
are the NZST faster then V8's SC's? , if not, when..... would like to see them both race