Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Feb 2003, 19:11 (Ref:506794)   #1
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BRDC and Avon Tyres Initiative for volunteer marshals

And who says we marshals are not thought of, fromm www.f3-gt.com

Quote:
BRDC AND AVON TYRES INITIATIVE FOR VOLUNTER MARSHALS

Wednesday 12 February 2003 - As part of an intended series of initiatives to provide assistance to the volunteer marshals in British motorsport, the BRDC and AVON Tyres have together created a road tyre price incentive for all marshals working at rounds of the 2003 BRDC British F3/GT series.

All participating marshals will be able to purchase road tyres for their personal cars, plus those of their immediate families, at a special VIP price. In addition, at each round of the F3/GT series a Marshals Draw will take place with the winner receiving an AVON voucher entitling the holder to a further 35% discount off the VIP price. All tyres purchased in this way will also be provided with free fitting and balancing at the on-circuit AVON race support centre.

Speaking on behalf of the BRDC, Dave Scott said; “the club has always appreciated the dedicated contribution these unpaid marshals bring to our sport, quite simply without them we would find it difficult to run the championships. We hope therefore that this incentive with the support of AVON is just one way of showing our appreciation”.

Further BRDC marshal initiatives are planned and will be announced during the course of the season.

ENDS
Old 14 Feb 2003, 20:35 (Ref:506882)   #2
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats really good news. I think I will go out and buy a car to celebrate. I can probably get it cheaper if i accept old tyres knowing I can get new ones cheap.
Seriously though it is good to see people showing their appreciation in such a practical way. Maybe if i marshal at AMOC they will ... No I guess I'll get a Mondeo.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 21:00 (Ref:506914)   #3
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well i suppose its handy if u happen to need new tyres and your at the circuit, or you want to build a tyre wall in your back garden
Old 15 Feb 2003, 00:12 (Ref:507172)   #4
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a good idea. The tyres are good and the service from the Avon tyres crew is excellent.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 10:29 (Ref:507411)   #5
Muppet
Racer

Muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's great news but how do we get our cars to the Avon race support centre? (only joking!) ;-)

There's potentially other things in the pipeline which may be interesting.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 10:59 (Ref:507437)   #6
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'll be ok "muppet" you should have a perm car pass! which works fine for most circuits, however at Brands Hatch it means you park in Essex!
Old 15 Feb 2003, 18:35 (Ref:507780)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wahaaaay! We've been noticed. Well done Avon/BRDC.

Muppet does have a point, though. How do we get our cars to the Avon fitting service during the day? Often there isn't enough lunch break to get yourself there, let alone the car, and at Donington for instance I'd be surprised if there were suddenly enough marshals to allow stand down times. I hope that doesn't sound negative - it's not meant to be - I'm really impressed at this move, and I hope someone will genuinely organise the logistics. Also if you do an F3/GT meeting at the start of the year, but your tyres wear out at the end, will you still be ablr to get them without having to travel to the other end of the country?
Old 15 Feb 2003, 18:55 (Ref:507803)   #8
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it has my vote

I guess if you can get it fitted on site then they must send out the vouchers beforehand, with the sign on details perhaps. But no garage has that kind of variety of tyres possible, so you can bet that it'll probably be a voucher at a participating fitting centre. Though i could do with a pair of slicks!!
Old 16 Feb 2003, 05:15 (Ref:508308)   #9
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What sort of times are we talking about here?

I just want to know how much time I will lose in the on-circuit AVON race support centre? Are we talking V8 supercars or more towards F1 times???

Seriously, both organisations should be heartily commended for thisgreat initiative. Here in Australia we can travel enormous distances to attend race meetings and any help with replacing the rubber inevitably lost along the way would be greatly appreciated.

Hop ethe idea catches on over here.....Bob!!! how about doing a deal for our officials through your T Marts......I can have my car at one tomorrow!!!
Old 16 Feb 2003, 11:07 (Ref:508423)   #10
Andy Metcalf
Racer

England
Kings Lynn, Norfolk UK
Andy Metcalf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe this idea could be repeate elsewhere. Sponsors could give us volunteers some sort reward for donating our free time. Depending on the sponsor of course. Could be amusing.

"Tomorrow, is what you make it"
Old 16 Feb 2003, 11:23 (Ref:508437)   #11
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm very pleased and not surprised. The BRDC has always done better for marshals (and grass roots motorsport in general) than was always recognised.

Jim
Old 16 Feb 2003, 23:29 (Ref:509003)   #12
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Dead Chuffed, exactly the kind of practical appreciation we've been asking for for years. Top marks Avon/BRDC
Old 17 Feb 2003, 13:25 (Ref:509482)   #13
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Well Done Avon!
Now, can't we get someone to come on board to provide marshals with something that can be used more on a (Race) day to (Race) day basis?
What about ELF subsidising our fuel costs - even a voucher for a fiver would be appreciated!
Or, Mars, Walkers, Coke or a local sandwich supplier donating our lunch packs?
What about the Circuits themselves offering little gestures - Croft gives each marshal a lunch voucher at two day events, Mondello Park is subsidising Marshals Ferry costs for the BTCC

Avon should be congratulated for recognising the work of the Marshals
Any more ideas?

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 17 Feb 2003 at 13:26.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 13:30 (Ref:509488)   #14
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a start, and a good one, that's for sure. Getting companies to recognise what we do takes time, hopefully this initiative will spur other series sponsors to help.

What does need to be done is for Avon/BRDC to advise us HOW we can take advantage of this offer.
Old 18 Feb 2003, 12:12 (Ref:510432)   #15
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now I just need them to make tyres in my size
(Only Bridgestone do 175/55/17s - not cheap!)

Appreciate the gesture though.
Old 18 Feb 2003, 13:31 (Ref:510495)   #16
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
What on earth is that for Pipsqueak, 175 is quite a narrow section, and the 55 and 17" must make the tyre look a bit strange and tall!
Old 19 Feb 2003, 08:32 (Ref:511365)   #17
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
Quote:
Originally posted by spanner
What on earth is that for Pipsqueak, 175 is quite a narrow section, and the 55 and 17" must make the tyre look a bit strange and tall!
A V*uxh*ll VX220. They narrowed the front wheels to make the handling more neutral, otherwise I'd be spinning off into hedges every other day.

Not doing a great job mind, as I half-spun it yesterday morning just pulling out of my road - the crew at the ambulance station opposite thought it was very funny

The 175/55/17 tyre size is a bug-bear amongst owners. You can't change down to a 16" wheel 'cos you'll foul the brakes and the profile would get too tall. Can't go up in width else you start to foul the suspension uprights.
Still, it handles better than 99.5% of cars on the roads, it just comes at a price when you have to change tyres
Old 19 Feb 2003, 13:16 (Ref:511551)   #18
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Should have bought an Elise!
Old 19 Feb 2003, 13:18 (Ref:511553)   #19
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
Quote:
Originally posted by Teletubby
Should have bought an Elise!
touche!
Old 19 Feb 2003, 13:43 (Ref:511578)   #20
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bet you've not heard that one before!
Old 20 Feb 2003, 09:42 (Ref:512257)   #21
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slightly back on topic, Apart from the GP a few years ago has there been another exaples of marshalls being sponsored?

it seems that every thing else in the sport has gone that way maybe we should...
Old 20 Feb 2003, 12:47 (Ref:512354)   #22
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Some orange overalls have "Remguard" or Dedicated Micro's" emblazoned on the back. This was a sponsorship from a guy called Mike Newton from Cheshire (I Think) Mike is a long time supporter of the Marshals and is a driver too! (Champ Of Oulton FF's and more recently enduro stuff abroad)

The MG CC usually give us a hat or something, and there are some marshals who secure individual sponsorship (Usually the cost of their overalls) from local companies or their place of work. Apart from that, I can't think of anything else!
Old 20 Feb 2003, 16:45 (Ref:512505)   #23
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by scorch
Slightly back on topic, Apart from the GP a few years ago has there been another exaples of marshalls being sponsored?

it seems that every thing else in the sport has gone that way maybe we should...
You should try BMP bike racing, there you get both sponsored overalls (eventually) and either a sponsored packed lunch or £5 towards it. I don't understand why the BMP car packages aren't run in a similar way.

However, the best club to work for from every angle possible: professionalism, programme execution, care of marshals and racing package is Bemsee. My one regret is that I can only do so few of their meetings because of geographical problems i.e. they're down there and I'm up here.

Old 21 Feb 2003, 13:38 (Ref:513407)   #24
shbrdc
Rookie

shbrdc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your refer to "BMP Bike Racing" - the marshalling for British Superbike has been under the auspicies of RACESAFE since 1996 (BMP became the promoter in 2000), an organisation co-founded by myself, along with Mike Blakey. You are correct in that all marshals receive overalls and either £5 sunsistence or a packed lunch, plus are on the championships permanent pass system. There is a one-off memebership fee. At all BSB rounds as part of the promoter-circuit agreement - a secure area (normally within the paddock - with showers, toilets & power)is provided. This has been achieved through improving relations with circuits and a lack of committees and other red tape. The organisation of BSB is actually under the BRDC and yet the perception I often read is that BRDC doesnt really have much to do with race organisation & marshals, well, to the contrary the BRDC Marshals Club and its 2 wheel eqivalent RACESAFE are alive & kicking. Across 2 & 4 wheels BRDC has spent over £9000 on marshals training YTD, there is the AVON initiative & I hope much more to come. Its the best kept secret but BRDC straddles car & bike racing and to be frank the car side is behind in terms of marshals welfare. BRDC support marshals and I would like to make more progress and seek ideas and a good open dialougue and relationship with all in orange (and black!!!).

Have a great & safe year and please keep in touch via our two marshals organisations:

BRDC Marshals Club (pam.dearn@brdc.co.uk)
RACESAFE (racesafemike@aol.com) - Mike Blakey.

Regards

Stuart Higgs
Director of Racing
BRDC