Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 6 Aug 2014, 11:37 (Ref:3441916)   #1351
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
....You can blame the Public School "marm" for the correction, she will cane you if you wish !
Yes please -I can wait until the 6 hours at Spa if you are going to be there!
Old 6 Aug 2014, 20:58 (Ref:3442025)   #1352
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can I switch something across from another thread that isn't relevant there but is still, I hope, interesting and relevant to the Historic fraternity as a whole?

Colin McK, when talking about getting hot under the collar while racing, said:

>>>>>I wear a 3 layer suit + sexy thermal undies. Some guys have 2 layers and nothing else which must help.

FWIW a modern design 3-layer suit is lighter to wear than a 2-layer. As a generalisation, 2-layers tend to be thicker material because there is only one air barrier whereas the 3-layer has two air barriers thus the fabric can be lighter. Added to this is the fact that modern 3-layer suits have a really light interlining that seems to be little more than a flame-retardant support for even more air, and you have a really comfortable, breathable, lightweight suit that will be much easier to wear than the 2-layers which look positively old-fashioned these days.

To close, also remember that your racing overall protects you while its fibres are fluffed up. When it gets old and sad-looking through wear, the air gaps are reduced and so are the protective qualities.

Oh I lied, I am not quite ready to close...underwear is pretty light and good stuff wicks away sweat. It's another layer of FR material and another air barrier and can add to comfort.

Last edited by midgetman; 6 Aug 2014 at 21:03. Reason: Far too much rambling!
Old 6 Aug 2014, 22:37 (Ref:3442050)   #1353
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Yes please -I can wait until the 6 hours at Spa if you are going to be there!
We will be at a wedding that weekend, but she said she will keep the cane and other torture gear with her at all times when she meets you!
Attached Thumbnails
sue.jpg  
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Aug 2014, 22:41 (Ref:3442052)   #1354
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Pardon me Gordon, and Sue, did I really need to use a Delta spelling smiley? It seems irony and humour are lost on the internet both here and elsewhere.
Blimey Tim you do "bite" if I wind you up !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Aug 2014, 07:32 (Ref:3442141)   #1355
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having met Sue once, I'd be happy for her to correct my spelling!!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 7 Aug 2014, 12:59 (Ref:3442204)   #1356
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
On a more serious note, when the Dartford crossing gets rid of the toll booths at the end of September presumably it will work with ANPR cameras,
I would think that there will be a hell of a lot of trouble with dodgy plates just like the congestion nonsense, or is it just me thinking about it ? !!!
Old 7 Aug 2014, 13:56 (Ref:3442220)   #1357
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sure your collection of old number plates is a lot bigger than mine Gordon
Old 8 Aug 2014, 06:28 (Ref:3442392)   #1358
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
On a more serious note
Oooh, have I just had a subtle ticking off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
when the Dartford crossing gets rid of the toll booths at the end of September presumably it will work with ANPR cameras,
I would think that there will be a hell of a lot of trouble with dodgy plates just like the congestion nonsense, or is it just me thinking about it ? !!!
Well it WAS just you thinking about it but it's now about to go viral!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 8 Aug 2014, 09:48 (Ref:3442435)   #1359
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
trouble with dodgy plates just like the congestion nonsense
Don't get me started on the congestion nonsense/dodgy plates/foreign registered vehicles that never get chased for penalty charges!!!! The problem is that we don't have reciprocal agreements to access registration details with all European countries, so they don't bother following it up. Same goes for speeding & other offences including the new road user charge aimed at making foreign trucks pay to use our roads.

Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Just going for a lie down now.
Old 8 Aug 2014, 10:07 (Ref:3442438)   #1360
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
After all the hassel with truck last weekend The Lord has looked down on me here at Nurburgring . I just been given two!!!!! Meal tickets . Think I will have late breakfast with one then an early lunch with the other . Bon apatit
Old 8 Aug 2014, 12:05 (Ref:3442468)   #1361
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Don't get me started on the congestion nonsense/dodgy plates/foreign registered vehicles that never get chased for penalty charges!!!! The problem is that we don't have reciprocal agreements to access registration details with all European countries, so they don't bother following it up. Same goes for speeding & other offences including the new road user charge aimed at making foreign trucks pay to use our roads.

Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Just going for a lie down now.
In the words of Michael Winner, calm down dear! There was a bit on the news other night about the ££££ revenue lost from parking etc fines not paid as the vehicles are on foreign plates. Apparently you can use a vehicle in UK for 6 months on another euro country's plates without having to re-register it here, and during that time get away with loads of stuff.

Mmmm.....
Old 8 Aug 2014, 12:34 (Ref:3442476)   #1362
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
After all the hassel with truck last weekend The Lord has looked down on me here at Nurburgring . I just been given two!!!!! Meal tickets . Think I will have late breakfast with one then an early lunch with the other . Bon apatit
So thats most meals covered then?
Old 8 Aug 2014, 12:38 (Ref:3442478)   #1363
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
In the words of Michael Winner, calm down dear! There was a bit on the news other night about the ££££ revenue lost from parking etc fines not paid as the vehicles are on foreign plates. Apparently you can use a vehicle in UK for 6 months on another euro country's plates without having to re-register it here, and during that time get away with loads of stuff.

Mmmm.....
Its the same over here Mike, trouble is I dont want to tuv the 350, h/lights alone would be 1k!-exhaust2.5k.
But then again I dont want a Brits Motor Wheels type car as a daily.
Old 8 Aug 2014, 13:01 (Ref:3442484)   #1364
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Its the same over here Mike, trouble is I dont want to tuv the 350, h/lights alone would be 1k!-exhaust2.5k.
But then again I dont want a Brits Motor Wheels type car as a daily.
The only problem with that is having to bring it back to the UK for an MOT
Old 8 Aug 2014, 13:41 (Ref:3442491)   #1365
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
After all the hassel with truck last weekend ...
Is the full saga now on line somewhere?

Would it be suitable for Lloyd-Webber to put to music?

Good luck with the food Iain. I assume the 2 tickets are not just some attempt to shift stuff that people don't want to eat?
Old 8 Aug 2014, 16:20 (Ref:3442512)   #1366
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Good luck with the food Iain. I assume the 2 tickets are not just some attempt to shift stuff that people don't want to eat?
If, as I suspect, they are tickets for the circuit hospitality, he will be lucky if he can still walk after two meals!

Proper German food......

Old 8 Aug 2014, 16:33 (Ref:3442516)   #1367
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
If, as I suspect, they are tickets for the circuit hospitality, he will be lucky if he can still walk after two meals!

Proper German food......

I was at Hockenheim for the F2 meeting in 1982. The Paddock Cafe opened at about 6.30am. I was 3rd in the queue. The first ordered a Bratwurst, the second a Beer!! I had some sort of Breakfast that was the German equivalent of Mallory Park's finest which kept me going all day.

It's good to see Delta's French is improving
Old 8 Aug 2014, 17:04 (Ref:3442523)   #1368
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I am ashamed to say that due to being busy with cars I did not get use food tickets . Good job I stole a ham and cheese sandwich from hotel. Been helping friends in the marathon which got red flagged as the weather was awfull . You will be pleased to know that our very own skellly telly did a great job keeping his B on the island . I recon his MGB was the only one that did not need any fine tinning with delta sledge hammer . Well done Simon
Old 8 Aug 2014, 17:20 (Ref:3442526)   #1369
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes, well done that man! What about our other regulars?

And let me guess- the food tickets were only valid today.....

Old 8 Aug 2014, 21:54 (Ref:3442592)   #1370
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am ashamed to say that due to being busy with cars I did not get use food tickets . Good job I stole a ham and cheese sandwich from hotel. Been helping friends in the marathon which got red flagged as the weather was awfull . You will be pleased to know that our very own skellly telly did a great job keeping his B on the island . I recon his MGB was the only one that did not need any fine tinning with delta sledge hammer . Well done Simon
Cheers Iain - never experienced anything quite like that....

I'll sleep well tonight.....flashbacks allowing!!
Old 9 Aug 2014, 02:16 (Ref:3442626)   #1371
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
I was at Hockenheim for the F2 meeting in 1982. The Paddock Cafe opened at about 6.30am. I was 3rd in the queue. The first ordered a Bratwurst, the second a Beer!!
Was the second bloke Finnish by any chance?
Old 9 Aug 2014, 02:19 (Ref:3442627)   #1372
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
.......from hotel.
The "H" word has cropped up a few times this year in posts relating to race weekends.

Unusual I thought.

What's all that about?
Old 9 Aug 2014, 03:52 (Ref:3442642)   #1373
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by skentellytubby View Post
Cheers Iain - never experienced anything quite like that....

I'll sleep well tonight.....flashbacks allowing!!
Well done Simon-would have liked to have been there but an unscheduled trip to Spa put paid to that idea.Shame about the red being shown-makes historic drivers seem like wimps.
Any idea how Chris and Al got on?
Old 9 Aug 2014, 06:51 (Ref:3442657)   #1374
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Well done Simon-would have liked to have been there but an unscheduled trip to Spa put paid to that idea.Shame about the red being shown-makes historic drivers seem like wimps.
Any idea how Chris and Al got on?
Allen hit the barrier at T13 and had to do a lap with hit wheels pointing the wrong way

If Allen can fall off in the wet.....
Old 9 Aug 2014, 19:48 (Ref:3442817)   #1375
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Oh its very eas in those conditions Simon!
Spent a couple of hours with Chris today, got the full info.Well done to Brian and Joe-third in class cant be bad-despite the unscedualled pitstop.I assume what we can hear now is Masters grp c or similar.
Closed Thread