Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 13 Feb 2009, 13:58 (Ref:2396868)   #1
Claypole
Rookie

United Kingdom
Boston
Claypole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any tips?

Having just completed my first year sprinting in the NSCC, I am looking forward to my first hill climb at Harewood. Does anyone have any tips specific to hillclimbing or the venue that would help a newbie like myself?
Thanks in anticipation,
Claypole
Old 13 Feb 2009, 14:18 (Ref:2396888)   #2
CNHSS1
Rookie

United Kingdom
shrewsbury, shropshire
CNHSS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
only done the venue 3 or 4 times myself, but its a cracker! obviously walk the hill and watch a fair few runs to get the hang of the place. if its really wet, watch the paddock grass as its a slippery as hell! ive had racer, tow car and trailer stuck before now! usually slick organisation with a paddock marshal calling you for the runs. plenty of time in the queue to warm the engine.
not sure of the names, but the slight uphill rise from the hairpin is deceptive, normally need to scrub a bit of speed on the up part as the cars light over the crest and tends to lock if you get on the anchors after the rise. rests OK until the final corner as its a quick entry but dead easy to cock up and spin or delve into the gravel traps. worth watching a few cars round there in practice too imho.
enjoy, its a great venue
Old 13 Feb 2009, 15:50 (Ref:2396934)   #3
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole
Having just completed my first year sprinting in the NSCC, I am looking forward to my first hill climb at Harewood. Does anyone have any tips specific to hillclimbing or the venue that would help a newbie like myself?
Thanks in anticipation,
Claypole
1) Check the HSA website as there might be a "Drive-it" article and photos available on-line.
2) Check out You-Tube as there are lots of in-car footage from harewood.

Finally you could always get a copy of that wonderful book by ...................
Old 13 Feb 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2397053)   #4
Claypole
Rookie

United Kingdom
Boston
Thanks both, I haven't yet walked a track before racing it as I have never had time, arriving from Lincolnshire leaves me with too much to do when i get there. That said, I will be only 15 mins away from harewood in the morning, so, I will be walking it.
There are two venues I have always wante to try, Harewood and Cadwell, I live only a few miles from Cadwell but have not yet tried it.
Cheers Claypole
Old 13 Feb 2009, 22:03 (Ref:2397144)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On that note, then, my tip is to make sure you do arrive in time to walk it. Too often I've had to scramble to a driver who said "I didn't realize it turned right there". It's not a blind rally stage, there's no substitute for knowing exactly where it goes and which bits you can safely use.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 23:17 (Ref:2397187)   #6
LCM
Rookie

LCM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Harewood is great hill and the organisation is very slick

As a general tip: learn the hill before you drive it! Walking it is fine, but I find multiple viewing of an in-car video to be the best preparation as you get the appropriate viewpoint and gradually build up a visual memory which comes back to you as you start to drive the hill yourself.

As a specific Harewood tip: remember that the hill is ALWAYS slippery first thing in the morning but the grip builds up during the day.
Old 14 Feb 2009, 14:57 (Ref:2397452)   #7
AndyMil
Racer

England
On a hill in Yorkshire!
AndyMil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't arrive at Quarry (last corner) too fast, it tightens and steepens as you go through, and from a marshals point of view this is where most drivers lose time, depends what car you have.

corners go; long 90 right, right after dip,left, hairpin right, 90 left over brow, long 90 right, kink left, tight 90+right, long hairpin left opens, long hairpin right tightens.

When are you coming up?
Old 14 Feb 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2397464)   #8
Claypole
Rookie

United Kingdom
Boston
Thanks for your replies,
Woolley, my personal rule is to treat the first practice run as a sighter, add in the walk round and I'll try to give you nothing to do.
Andymil, the climb is the 6th June, I'm waiting for entry forms, and I drive a 1968 Bond Equipe, with a 1500 spit engine, albeit slightly modified and without interior. Rubbish handling but a challenge to drive smoothly. Call it a Herald with added lightness.
http://www.gosprinting.co.uk/picture...s/IMG_3281.htm

It does not like the wet, LCM
Claypole
Old 15 Feb 2009, 14:50 (Ref:2397840)   #9
AndyMil
Racer

England
On a hill in Yorkshire!
AndyMil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yay, we'll be there then, I'll keep an eye out for you, My mate had a Bond about 20 years ago.

CNHSS, you should have no probs now, we had a tarmac road laid in the bottom paddock last year, and the trailer field has had drainage laid over the winter.
Old 16 Feb 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2398437)   #10
CNHSS1
Rookie

United Kingdom
shrewsbury, shropshire
CNHSS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMil
CNHSS, you should have no probs now, we had a tarmac road laid in the bottom paddock last year, and the trailer field has had drainage laid over the winter.
Wow! now i said the organisation was slick, but my own little road?! now that is slick
Old 26 Feb 2009, 15:07 (Ref:2404672)   #11
Skydragon
Rookie

Skydragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'm also doing my first ever year of Hillclimbs at Harewood (Orange Caterham Seven) and will keep an eye open for you.

Have a look at these video clips on this page as they give a reasonable overview of the track layout etc.

http://rogerford.org.uk/Caterhams/HHS-22-July-2004.html

See you on 6th June
Old 26 Feb 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2404867)   #12
Claypole
Rookie

United Kingdom
Boston
Thanks Skydragon, those vids are great, they seem much clearer than the youtube stuff, that last bend gives me the heebies, herald based suspension and not breaking in a straight line, could be entertaining.

Will look out for you too, although I will be easy to spot I imagine, what with being the only Bond there and all that. The oldest car and probably the slowest, but also the most fun.
Cheers Claypole

Good luck in your first season and I will be looking for hints when I meet you.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2404952)   #13
Copperbottom
Veteran

Copperbottom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Have you got Google Earth? Find it on there (postcode) and at least you'll have some idea of what it looks like ;-) EDit:Just found it; look for Harewood speed hillclimb.

Last edited by Copperbottom; 26 Feb 2009 at 22:30.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 14:09 (Ref:2405434)   #14
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
HSA Website

Follow this link:

http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/trackguides.asp

Then select Harewood for a Drive-It straight out of Speedscene.