Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Apr 2005, 20:06 (Ref:1284100)   #1
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big green cat is back?

lmsr.net posts that jaguar would be coming back to sports or GT racing...what do you guys think?
Old 21 Apr 2005, 20:27 (Ref:1284117)   #2
Jeffrey-Lee
Racer

Jeffrey-Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes please!

LMSR was right about the Porkers, hope this one solidifies as well.

Last edited by Jeffrey-Lee; 21 Apr 2005 at 20:27.
Old 21 Apr 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1284125)   #3
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, doubt it. Aston Martin and Jaguar are both Ford-companies. Don't see Ford allowing both companies to run races, especially not in the same class.
Old 21 Apr 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1284141)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't see it, Ford's profits are down 40% (see The Times today) and Jaguar isn't doing too well. Although Ford is slowly learning that Jaguar isn't suited to being a large scale producer. Eventually this could mean a Le Mans return, but more water under the bridge is needed.

Still, speaking generally, would it be good? It depends how the go about it. A racing GT car with the (new?) XK8 would be too similar too the DB9. I guess they could GT2 it, but Jaguar should compete for overall honours which rules out both GT classes. A nice LMP chassis with a development of the V8 would be good. LMP2 would make me sick, especially if they base it on a lesser engine (or diesel!).

Oh, while green would be nice it isn't essential - which is what those Ford boys got wrong last time. It isn't about the styling it is about the content. The reat content, the real need to be at Le Mans. In fact it would be nice if it wasn't green to get away from the pitiful and pointless program they styled last time.

Last edited by Adam43; 21 Apr 2005 at 21:06.
Old 21 Apr 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1284184)   #5
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi
Hmm, doubt it. Aston Martin and Jaguar are both Ford-companies. Don't see Ford allowing both companies to run races, especially not in the same class.
And why not?
Old 21 Apr 2005, 22:27 (Ref:1284203)   #6
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi
Works fine for Citroen and Peugeot in WRC, and Maserati and Ferrari in GT-racing (ok, those are split up a little now, but it was before as well).
Old 21 Apr 2005, 22:41 (Ref:1284212)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If this is ture then it is Mega news, and I am not sure about this one. lmsr.net say that they stand behind it 110%. Let wait for offical confirmation before we all get too excited.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 01:20 (Ref:1284259)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey-Lee
LMSR was right about the Porkers
FWIW, dailysportscar had reported on Porsche last July - and Andrew Cotton had hinted about it prior...

You can do worse than follow what the Cottons have to say when it comes to sportscars, that's for sure.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Apr 2005, 05:39 (Ref:1284307)   #9
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Not talking about Infocourse. com, Virages.com, PlanetLeMans.com...

Last edited by Fab; 22 Apr 2005 at 05:43.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 07:23 (Ref:1284338)   #10
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
We mustnt forget the Aston is funded by Prodrive. If the venture is succesful for both Ford and Prodrive there is no reason that they wont do a similar thing with Jaguar - maybe in GT2

Make a lot of sense for Ford as they get Jaguar racing for little cost and Prodrive make the money by selling the 'works' cars to customers
Old 22 Apr 2005, 07:58 (Ref:1284357)   #11
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If someone comes along to Ford and offers to do the prep and design, like the Prodrive/Aston set up, then I am sure Ford would look at it.

Porsche coming back may just be the spur to move things along and there does seem to be plenty of LMP1/2 designs floating around looking for backing.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 08:35 (Ref:1284378)   #12
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another avenue for Jaguar is to do DTM by adopting the turn-key Zytek DTM car, as most development costs have already been met. I would prefer a sportscar, but DTM has media coverage second only to F1. This would probably interest Jaguar more in the short term i feel. However, Jaguar + Le Mans is legendary, and Ford will ignore the fact at its peril.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 08:41 (Ref:1284383)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That DTM project would be the wrong direction for Jaguar, IMHO. As with the F1 project it would have nothing to do with the road cars and just be a hollow marketing exercise. Jaguar have some great toruing cars in the past (see Nordic avatar!), but a MG cast off is not what they need.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 08:53 (Ref:1284388)   #14
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with you that its not what Jaguar need, but unfortunately it may be what Ford need. A relatively inexpensive way to go racing to promote one of its flagship marques. Believe me, i too would much rather a sportscar, but the American market already has Trans-Am where Jags do well, but the european market has nothing as yet. And as i said before, the DTM Media coverage is excellent. Sentimentaly i couldn't agree with you more, but a huge corporation like Ford is only interested in the bottom line. ( dollars ).
Old 22 Apr 2005, 09:04 (Ref:1284392)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It is better to not promote them in racing then. Concentrate on making quality cars, not just rebodied Mondeos, and concentrate on the new XK8 and maybe a new smaller (relative term) sportscar?
Old 22 Apr 2005, 09:05 (Ref:1284393)   #16
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think if Ford are going to pick up the DTM MG program and use it for Jag it would be a mistake, much better use it for Volvo.

Failing a full blown LMP1 program I would rather it went into WTCC, The DTM is full of overblown hype, costs heaps of money and is in danger of collapse should the numbers of teams contine to fall. Opel going, Audi clearly have a choice to make in the future, to contine in the DTM or go full time to the LMES/ALMS, I doubt it can afford both and Merc are hardly in the best of health at the moment.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 10:15 (Ref:1284442)   #17
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Either of you 2 guys at silverstone 2 weeks ago ? Watching those monsters come out of woodcote was something else. Thats how i like to see a Jag. That and the Silk Cut Le mans cars of course.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1284451)   #18
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We all hope the return of Jaguar in Sports cars. For my part I'll wait for official news.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1284471)   #19
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sounds like the next Prodrive project to me (but I hope it's a full blown LMP1 assault!)..........

Slightly off topic: Jonathan Palmer was trying to get a race series sanctioned for his Jaguar JP1's. Has anyone heard any more on this?
Old 22 Apr 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1284607)   #20
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a thought, but why couldn't Prodrive build a prototype for Jaguar (or anyone else for that matter)? They certainly have the technical ability and are already forming a relationship with Ford and Aston Martin with the DBR9.

But I agree, no need to get too excited yet.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 15:46 (Ref:1284651)   #21
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Is one of the Courage's not being run as a "Ford" with some funds from Ford France?

It wouldn't be much of a stretch to paint the thing green and call it a Jag.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 16:04 (Ref:1284664)   #22
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Just a thought, but why couldn't Prodrive build a prototype for Jaguar (or anyone else for that matter)? They certainly have the technical ability and are already forming a relationship with Ford and Aston Martin with the DBR9.

Actually all Prodrive would have to do would be re-body-ing the AM DBR9 to the upcoming Jaguar XK.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1285233)   #23
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen

I belive Prodrives relationship with Subaru actually started when they approached them with a Group C design/proposal, but Subaru chose the WRC route.

Any Jaguar return, like Porsche, has to be in the prototype ranks fighting for overall wins.

As for the DTM route, that would be a disater on a par with the F1 team, not least because the series is hugely expensive and is on the brink of collapse almost yearly. It also has little profile outside of central Europe were huge marketing budgets help boost crowds.

Last edited by JAG; 23 Apr 2005 at 17:36.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1285953)   #24
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the DTM seems to have more star drivers than manufacturer interest. Could all start getting good again if the DTM goes over to privateer teams and lets some manufacturers have a go at sportscar racing instead.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 17:08 (Ref:1285996)   #25
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The DTM can never be a privateers series as the manufactuers fund almost everything the series has to offer!