Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Mar 2004, 12:44 (Ref:917782)   #1
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is the Ferrari only a 'good average' car?

We all sit here week after week saying how dominent Ferrari is and that its a 'one horse race' but in true exam format discuss the following statement:

"The fact that Rubens consistently struggles for podiums would indicate that the Ferrari is no better than the Williams or the Renault.

The only thing causes Ferrari to consistently win is Michael Schumacher. And, he would have the same effect at Williams or Renault causing them to have similar dominance."

Old 24 Mar 2004, 12:52 (Ref:917798)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Rubens shadowed Michael in Australia, and suffered because he picked the wrong tyres in Malaysia.

The Ferrari is still the best car out there at the moment, with Williams not too far behind.

If the Ferrari is a good average car, the rest are below average.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 12:54 (Ref:917804)   #3
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I have hated him over the years one thing has always been evident: this man is incredible...

He does not always do things nicely but he will do anything to win, whether is bends the rules or not. Hearing about him fiddling with his diff and changing his brake balance from corner to corner and lap to lap is indicative of what the other drivers are up against! He is extracting EVERYTHING from that car race in race out. Couple that with the reliability of the Ferrari and that is one big brick wall for everybody else.

Montoya's fastest lap was 0.5 faster than Michaels! Ok, Rubens held him up a bit but still! He wins when he shouldn't and he damn well wins when he should. 72 and counting...

I have no doubt that the Ferrari is not always the fastest car out there but Schuey makes all the difference.

Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:08 (Ref:917838)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I bet the rest of the grid dreams with a good average car like Ferrari !!!!
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:16 (Ref:917850)   #5
tally-bally-ho
Rookie

tally-bally-ho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Michael isn't being challenged because most of the other drivers in F1 are there not because they're any good, but because they can afford a drive.

Yes, I know Michael needed Merc backing to get in at Jordan, but he was so obviously talented that it took about 1 second for him to be recruited into a more competitive situation and the rest is history.

Who is really going to challenge him?
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:17 (Ref:917852)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
.. or even just a bit less
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:18 (Ref:917854)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
..ooops, my post referreed to Bon's one!
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:26 (Ref:917870)   #8
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No-one is as good a package as Schuey. The man is incredible, RB is very very good, but isn't as complete. The Ferrari is the best car and Michael IS the best driver - overall it's a pretty potent combo - understatement of the year!
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:27 (Ref:917873)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The fact that Rubens struggles to get on the podium in some races is mostly because not as good as the other drivers chasing after the podium places. He's an ok driver in a good car and sometimes that isn't enough.

I'm not saying Rubens is **** - just that there are better drivers out there in cars that aren't that much worse than the Ferrari and as a car/driver combination they can outperform Rubens Ferrari.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:31 (Ref:917885)   #10
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just my point Bert - the cars may not be that different - its the simply the driver that causes the dominence.

Here's one to focus the issue.

Would Schuey in the current Williams regularly beat Montoya in the current Ferrari.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:44 (Ref:917914)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce
Would Schuey in the current Williams regularly beat Montoya in the current Ferrari.
You just did it, Hugh. Flame bait !!!!
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:51 (Ref:917926)   #12
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's not flame bait...

Michael Schumacher in last years BA.... ermm ok, I stop here :whistles innocently:
Old 24 Mar 2004, 14:17 (Ref:917965)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Another one of those great unknowns in F1
Old 24 Mar 2004, 14:23 (Ref:917971)   #14
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just my point Bert - the cars may not be that different - its the simply the driver that causes the dominence.

Here's one to focus the issue.

I think he would. No doubt. As someone else mentinoed earlier, Barrichello's performance in the Ferrari shows what the average ferrari car can do. Everything else is Schuy factor. Since Montoya can usually beat Barichello so i would attribute Montoyas progress in the Ferrari slightly higher than Barrichello and about where the Williams is w/ JPM currently driving it. However not as high as Schumachers would be in the Williams.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 14:34 (Ref:917982)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fundamentally disagree.

The whole package has to be right.

Look at Hungary last year as an example.

Schumacher's great, but he's not superhuman.

Combine his skills with the best package - and you have a very hard target to beat.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 14:40 (Ref:917988)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back

The whole package has to be right.

Look at Hungary last year as an example.

Schumacher's great, but he's not superhuman.

Agreed with K-B, add to Hungary... Europe, France, Britain and Germany, where iirc, Michael didn't lead a lap.

Michael is a fantastic driver, but like everyone else, if everything else is not in place, his driving ability can't make up the short comings alone.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 14:56 (Ref:917998)   #17
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Doesn't that just possibly prove the case some more.

If MS has an off day - and the Ferrari isn't that much ahead of the Williams (especially this season) - that could explain why they didn't lead a lap.

My recollection on some of those was that Ferrari did not qualify well and just couldn't claw it back.

BTW - this is not meant to be 'flame bait' - it's a serious comment albeit with a 'tongue in cheek' title.

Maybe Ferrari aren't as far ahead as everyone assumes.

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 24 Mar 2004 at 14:59.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 15:05 (Ref:918001)   #18
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Anyways, Hugh, it takes some courage to argue that Ferrari are just average cars.

Barrichello performed worse than MS due to a wrong tyre strategy, on a track where this kind of mistake was not allowed.
Otherwise we would probably have seen another red walkover.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 15:24 (Ref:918015)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:

If MS has an off day - and the Ferrari isn't that much ahead of the Williams (especially this season) - that could explain why they didn't lead a lap.

My recollection on some of those was that Ferrari did not qualify well and just couldn't claw it back.

Hugh, old buddy, i said that Michael didn't lead a lap

Rubens won Silverstone in very dominant fashion!
Old 24 Mar 2004, 15:49 (Ref:918038)   #20
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that the Ferrari is, overall, a much-better-than-average car. Part of the reason for that is Schuey's work within the team - that's one of the skills that sets him apart. And remember, the days when the Ferrari looked average last year were usually due to the tyre war. Now, I know that the tyres are part of the package and all that, but if Ferrari had had Michelins last year they would have had an easier run to the title.

Having said that, on the days when the Bridgestones are marginal, or when the Ferrari isn't quite right, then Schuey's class means that he can still win and get the best out of it. This consistantly high level is what Rubens struggles to do. I agree that there are better drivers on the grid than Rubens, but he's not bad and I think that on the days when he can't get it together we see what Michael can bring to Ferrari on the track (as well as off it).

So, the point is, the Ferrari is great, partly due to Schuey, but Schuey can also produce that extra something when required.

And, I think that he probably would have won the title in last year's Williams....
Old 24 Mar 2004, 15:53 (Ref:918043)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly.

It's the old thing that always happens.

Schumacher supporters would like us to believe his cars are rubbish and he only wins through sheer brilliance.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 16:06 (Ref:918056)   #22
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in 1994 he was on the pace stuck in 5th gear and set fastest lap chasing Hill - brilliance yes indeed
Old 24 Mar 2004, 16:16 (Ref:918069)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

No one's denying his brilliance, but much of his SUCCESS is down to the car.

He makes better use of it than most others would - but he's still driving the best machinery on the grid.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 16:48 (Ref:918106)   #24
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If his SUCCESS is down to the car - then it is down to him, he has had plenty of input in the development of the Ferrari
Old 24 Mar 2004, 16:57 (Ref:918121)   #25
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When a driver like Schumacher has been with the team for such a long time, there's no hard line between driver and car - they begin to merge, simply because the driver has had so much input to the car over the years.

I think it's a fair comparison to look at Rubens' performances, over the past couple of years. It becomes pretty obvious that the Ferrari F1 2002 was head and shoulders above the rest. In 2003, it was much closer, but I reckon was still a better car hampered at many circuits by the Bridgestone tyres. It's too early to say in 2004, but you still have to view it as better than a "good average" car.

But would Schumi have won his last 4 WDCs in a Williams or McLaren? Yeah, I reckon he probably would.