Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 25 Oct 2012, 03:36 (Ref:3157296)   #1026
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
knighty your insight is always appreciated.
Old 25 Oct 2012, 05:55 (Ref:3157311)   #1027
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks Knightly!
You also got mentioned anonymously on Mulsanne Corner
Old 26 Oct 2012, 12:49 (Ref:3157975)   #1028
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66 View Post
I've never expecting something else from Piech...
No surprise face here either. I think VAG-F1 rumours are always started by F1 media so that they'd have something to write about until the inevitable umpteenth official denial comes.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 14:50 (Ref:3158042)   #1029
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you for the information Knighty. That must have been one interesting lecture. I think Piech's strategy is a wise one. It will only push the technology for each brand even further. I can see the rivalry becoming quite intense come June 2014. Should make for a very entertaining race. Just so long as Porsche wins.

Old 28 Oct 2012, 06:27 (Ref:3158826)   #1030
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
No surprise face here either. I think VAG-F1 rumours are always started by F1 media so that they'd have something to write about until the inevitable umpteenth official denial comes.
Hadn't you heard?! Every single manufacturer in the entire world is joining/quitting F1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Thank you for the information Knighty. That must have been one interesting lecture. I think Piech's strategy is a wise one. It will only push the technology for each brand even further. I can see the rivalry becoming quite intense come June 2014. Should make for a very entertaining race. Just so long as Porsche wins.

The only crime is Peugeot won't be there. Imagine 4 factories going at it... Alas.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 12:59 (Ref:3158978)   #1031
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
The only crime is Peugeot won't be there. Imagine 4 factories going at it... Alas.
That really would have been great to see.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 00:12 (Ref:3159271)   #1032
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What woulda been really cool is we'd have had two diesels and two gas cars; and the Audis with AWD and Toyota strictly RWD. What a sight.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 19:37 (Ref:3159722)   #1033
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
What woulda been really cool is we'd have had two diesels and two gas cars; and the Audis with AWD and Toyota strictly RWD. What a sight.
Plenty of variety to stimulate interest can only be a good for the sport, shame it didn't happen.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 20:23 (Ref:3159742)   #1034
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I agree.

AWD racing cars are awesome to watch. There's a U.S. series, the SCCA Pirelli World Challenge (I honestly have no idea if it's known or not, so sorry if I sound like I'm insulting your awareness of auto racing...I just assume it's a little niche series no one cares about if I like it ), with AWD Volvo S60s in it. I watch just to see them take off out of the corners with the beefy Cadillac making it up on the straights...variety's great in racing at all levels!
Old 29 Oct 2012, 20:48 (Ref:3159750)   #1035
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the SCCA World Challenge is a fascinating series... though perhaps not as prestigious as the alternatives here in the US.... shame the Mustangs are made so slow for that series. One of the last events I volunteered for them the Mustang drivers protested the rules by not racing.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 08:39 (Ref:3165404)   #1036
EgoSprint
Rookie

Spain
Spain
EgoSprint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That is not quite right:

I'm director and editor in chief of Autoblog in its spanish edition. Some months ago, in the press road test of the new Audi A3 in Majorca, some senior managers of Audi told us that:

- The prospect of seen Audi versus Porsche in Le Mans is "very low"
- If Audi leaves LM, they will keep racing in other form
- They said that "there are only three main world racing events: WRC, F1 and Le Mans; since Porsche will be in Le Mans, and Volkswagen in WRC, let you imagine".
- After that, we published that Audi "may join F1"

Anyway... after the words of Ulrich Baretzky, there are no doubts that Audi will keep themselves on Le Mans...
Old 12 Nov 2012, 09:42 (Ref:3165422)   #1037
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It amuses me that people are taking it as signed and sealed that Audi will stay because VAG and Audi suits are saying so. How often do bosses of any organisation, particularly sporting ones, lie about even the blatantly obvious? All the time. As an example, say Vettel signed for Ferrari next year, and everybody knew, how long would Red Bull and Ferrari keep up the pretence that it was all media imagined rubbish and they know nothing about it? Months most likely. There is a fair chance they will both be at Le Mans, especially if 2014 is a development year for Porsche, but I don't see them competing long term, and I wouldn't be suprised at all if Audi concentrated on Touring Cars, GT cars, DTM and all their other stuff without ever sharing tarmac with a Porsche protortype.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 09:56 (Ref:3165428)   #1038
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoSprint View Post
That is not quite right:

I'm director and editor in chief of Autoblog in its spanish edition. Some months ago, in the press road test of the new Audi A3 in Majorca, some senior managers of Audi told us that:

- The prospect of seen Audi versus Porsche in Le Mans is "very low"
- If Audi leaves LM, they will keep racing in other form
- They said that "there are only three main world racing events: WRC, F1 and Le Mans; since Porsche will be in Le Mans, and Volkswagen in WRC, let you imagine".
- After that, we published that Audi "may join F1"

Anyway... after the words of Ulrich Baretzky, there are no doubts that Audi will keep themselves on Le Mans...
What Pandamasque's said seems pretty reasonable; at least, if precedent's any indicator. I'm amazed the major motorsport press isn't yet covering F1 drivers' bowel movements, and attempting to pass it off as 'news'.
The quality of content provided by such outlets has been on a steady decline as far as I can remember.

As an aside, your suggestions seem based on some pretty tenuous internal speculation.
You've somehow reasoned if ~A, B, -> C, without any firm basis for such (particularly when there are, despite popular belief, other options).

Regardless of whether events transpire in similar fashion as predicted, context is important.
It's hard to place a great deal of merit on off-hand comments made by regional (consumer) product/sales managers, which concern global motorsport ventures and significant expense.

Speculation's fine, to an extent. Just don't expect it to be considered otherwise sans any reasonable credence.

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 12 Nov 2012 at 10:01.
Old 8 Dec 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3176577)   #1039
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oliver Runschke ‏says on twitter that Porsche have confirmed the LMP1 will be entered in 2014 WEC by Weissach based works team, roll out will take place mid 2013.

https://twitter.com/oliver_runschke

Not really a surprise or anything new but good to see a potential confirmation.
Old 8 Dec 2012, 17:59 (Ref:3176580)   #1040
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Oliver Runschke ‏says on twitter that Porsche have confirmed the LMP1 will be entered in 2014 WEC by Weissach based works team, roll out will take place mid 2013.

https://twitter.com/oliver_runschke

Not really a surprise or anything new but good to see a potential confirmation.
Good news.
Mid 2013!?, has the time table been moved forward a bit? Last time it was in the end of 2013, so perhaps we could see a test race at the final WEC race?
Old 8 Dec 2012, 18:14 (Ref:3176588)   #1041
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
EI has an article up in French confirming too! This is exciting, full WEC so we'll all get to see it.
http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-14766.html
Old 8 Dec 2012, 20:09 (Ref:3176636)   #1042
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All the new Porsche info in one place here:

http://www.planetlemans.com/2012/12/...ns+Newsfeed%29

Interesting that they have promoted Jean-Karl Vernay up the ranks. I didn't know he had been racing Porsches this year. If he pops up at Le Mans next year I wouldn't be surprised. Perhaps one for a P1 seat in the long-term.
Old 8 Dec 2012, 20:14 (Ref:3176641)   #1043
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
full WEC so...
Like that was really a question mark?
Old 8 Dec 2012, 20:31 (Ref:3176644)   #1044
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Like that was really a question mark?
True. However after hearing so many false rumours and announcements in sportscars the past 5 years one can forgive me for being a little skeptical until things are spelled out. 2014 will be a mega year in LMP1, imagine if Peugeot had stuck around too?
Old 8 Dec 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3176668)   #1045
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Porsche normally do what they say they will do .
Old 9 Dec 2012, 12:31 (Ref:3176773)   #1046
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are the chances American Patrick Long gets a factory ride in 2014?

An American hasn't finished on the overall podium in what, 10 years?
Old 9 Dec 2012, 13:02 (Ref:3176782)   #1047
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
What are the chances American Patrick Long gets a factory ride in 2014?

An American hasn't finished on the overall podium in what, 10 years?
Im sure he is already destined for the P project .
Old 9 Dec 2012, 13:22 (Ref:3176790)   #1048
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Gary Watkins:
Quote:
It is understood that approximately 200 people are working on the P1 project.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104769
Old 9 Dec 2012, 13:36 (Ref:3176796)   #1049
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Im sure he is already destined for the P project .
I feel possibly the opposite way, where by quite a lot of existing Porsche drivers will be passed over in favour of new blood.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 14:01 (Ref:3176805)   #1050
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Roll out in 2013 could easily mean car on the ground, starting testing. It doesn't necessarily mean races entered, as you would think they would do some months of testing before racing. Though races in 2013 would be nice, if the car is ready.