Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Apr 2014, 20:15 (Ref:3394087)   #426
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
So long as the series keeps the current format there is no reason costs should increase. GT3 is an homologated category so teaks aren't going to be making wild mods, and the sprint-race format allows for a minimum of crew and gear.

With a sped tire (and a good one) and homologated chassis, body, and engines, there isn't a lot ot be gained by spending mega-bucks.

I hope.

That's what they said about DP but look at Ganassi! Hyperbaric chambers for the drivers at Daytona for example. There's always a way to spend money to go faster. All good rules and specing can do is limit the effect of the money. In PWC it's Cadillac at the moment.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 20:20 (Ref:3394090)   #427
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
If adding endurance races is unrealistic, could we see a companion prototype series to PWC?

Keep it sprint-based, allow P1 if there is sufficient interest, or otherwise P2 - PC - CN... fields might be heavy on the CN kind of cars, but if you got MMPR, Dyson, Level 5 and perhaps ESM and 8STAR on board that could make for an interesting product.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 20:46 (Ref:3394099)   #428
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
If adding endurance races is unrealistic, could we see a companion prototype series to PWC?

Keep it sprint-based, allow P1 if there is sufficient interest, or otherwise P2 - PC - CN... fields might be heavy on the CN kind of cars, but if you got MMPR, Dyson, Level 5 and perhaps ESM and 8STAR on board that could make for an interesting product.
I honestly think prototypes are even less likely, either as an additional class in the PWC races or even as a stand alone race/class. It's just not in the DNA and they're going through a lot of growing pains with just the influx of GT3 cars, new teams, and increased media attention. The PWC series isn't trying to replicate or takeover for IMSA/Tudor, it's simply trying to be the best GT sprint racing in North America which is why I think they have a damn good shot at doing it.

And frankly, team owners and drivers want that. It's not so important as to the exact type of racing as long as the series shows respect for the teams and their combined product (both the teams and series are producing the product). Give em that, a fair shot to compete, some intelligent and consistent decision making and people will want to race. Add into that the fact that the PWC GT season budget is about 1/4 of a GTD or LMPC budget, and well...

I know it's not perfect for fans who want their old ALMS or Rolex endurance racing back. But for most of the teams, they really just want to race and feel like they have a chance to compete.

-mike
Old 17 Apr 2014, 23:02 (Ref:3394139)   #429
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
What is it with everyone and wanting to bring in Prototypes to this series? I've heard that idea more than I'd like to, and it makes no sense what so ever in regards to the series. The PWC is just fine without them, and they bring nothing but a bad rep and a tribe of bitter fans with them. Keep them where they belong in TUSCC. Sure, the whopping 4 P2 cars may bring over 50,000+ additional fans to PWC, but the rapid rate at which this series is expanding is attracting a large enough fanbase to the point where it wont matter.

Pirelli World Challenge is a GT only operation and it will stay that way until the end of the world, or until nascar gets scared and buys out the series.

Last edited by Nick Woodbury; 17 Apr 2014 at 23:10.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 00:03 (Ref:3394153)   #430
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Mike - Are their serious talks about having GT (and GTA) run in their own race? We will be reaching some serious car counts in the near future.

While I LOVE PWC so far this season, the size of the field is getting to be a bit much with GT and GTS.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 00:07 (Ref:3394155)   #431
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
Mike - Are their serious talks about having GT (and GTA) run in their own race? We will be reaching some serious car counts in the near future.

While I LOVE PWC so far this season, the size of the field is getting to be a bit much with GT and GTS.
This.

IMO, the only redeeming quality of having the field combined is every so often seeing the GTS Mustang with the big Yo! MTV Raps decal on it.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 01:17 (Ref:3394167)   #432
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post

Yes, there was even talk of this at St. Pete before we had the first race. Personally, I don't think we should do it this year as I feel it's unfair for the guys who signed up to run in GTS w/ GT the whole year (same way I'd feel ripped off if I signed up for the season in LMPC or GTD and they split the races). It just isn't cool.

However, I really wouldn't be surprised if we see a split GT/GTS race before the end of the year as an experiment.

The only way to make it really work is to have 30+ GT cars at every round and I'm not sure if that's feasible in the first season. IMO, as Tudor Long Beach showed a race with only 20 cars on a street course is simply boring... just imagine 20 cars on track at say Road America...

There were also serious talks at Long Beach about doing away with the standing starts. Some drivers/teams think it's not worth the risk and that it's sort of a gimmick. It even got so far as a vote in the drivers meeting....

I'm curious what fans of the series think of the standing starts. Obviously it's more entertaining than a rolling start, but would a rolling start which reduced the chances of a big crash detract enough from the race?

-mike
Old 18 Apr 2014, 01:25 (Ref:3394171)   #433
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Rolling starts for sure.

The standing stars were cool back in the day, but the GT3 machinery really isn't designed for it, imo.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 01:33 (Ref:3394172)   #434
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes, the standing starts make me cringe. The races would be better without them.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 01:42 (Ref:3394176)   #435
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
To me standing starts are an open-wheel (and kart) thing. Now that Volvo is out of PWC, the standing starts just aren't worth it for a minor cool-factor.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 02:28 (Ref:3394183)   #436
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that having a rolling start would be best.
The standing start is cool, but with such short races, it would be good to limit the risk for cautions.
At Long beach, I think that the race might have gone caution free if not for the confused state of traffic following the start.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 02:32 (Ref:3394185)   #437
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
I honestly think prototypes are even less likely, either as an additional class in the PWC races or even as a stand alone race/class. It's just not in the DNA and they're going through a lot of growing pains with just the influx of GT3 cars, new teams, and increased media attention. The PWC series isn't trying to replicate or takeover for IMSA/Tudor, it's simply trying to be the best GT sprint racing in North America which is why I think they have a damn good shot at doing it.

And frankly, team owners and drivers want that. It's not so important as to the exact type of racing as long as the series shows respect for the teams and their combined product (both the teams and series are producing the product). Give em that, a fair shot to compete, some intelligent and consistent decision making and people will want to race. Add into that the fact that the PWC GT season budget is about 1/4 of a GTD or LMPC budget, and well...

I know it's not perfect for fans who want their old ALMS or Rolex endurance racing back. But for most of the teams, they really just want to race and feel like they have a chance to compete.

-mike
+1 ^ This is what many fans want as well.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 13:16 (Ref:3394414)   #438
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A P class in PWC would be bad. This would take away the coverage of the GT cars. The reason why I like the BES, is because the GT3 cars get plenty of coverage.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 13:26 (Ref:3394426)   #439
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A P co-series would be ok like the old days Can-Am - Trans-Am. Otherwise there's not enough room or track time to add to the existing series in it's format as a support. It is getting near to good enough to be a stand-alone.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 13:43 (Ref:3394436)   #440
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am one of those "bitter" prototype lovers and even I can see that PWC is better as a GT3 series.

I love multi-class racing, but I also love seeing a whole field of cars competing for the overall win. PWC offers multi-class racing now, though it way get big enough to be GT-only next season (here's hoping.) Either way it provides great racing which is really what it's all about.

Particularly in a short race, the added classes aren't essential if there are enough serious contenders and all the cars are pretty close in performance---there will still be lots of action.

As for prototypes--how long has it been since an North American series has managed to put together a healthy grid of prototypes? Rolex managed it, but the cars were so ... whatever (no need to stir That pot) that no one bothered to watch.

ALMS did okay through about 2009 with its combined classes and such, but it pretty much withered quickly, and LMPCs are cool cars but (IMO) shouldn't be in a top-tier series.

I like the prototypes better than the GTs but I like good racing better than either, so let's keep PWC as a good racing series, and not wish it to become a clone of ... a couple failed series.
Old 20 Apr 2014, 13:23 (Ref:3395641)   #441
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I agree that there really is no problem at the moment with the series, it's exploding because of what it is so why is everyone suggesting changes to it?

Classes were a little cramped at the street circuits bit it will be less noticeable as they come to more road tracks. First season of BES was all the better for the GT4 cars and this is reminding me very fondly of that.

That said, glad to hear that someone is looking at sanctioning an endurance race for these cars.

If I was to make a request, it would be higher quality streaming, but that's the sort of thing that will come as the series grows, I'm sure.
Old 20 Apr 2014, 13:41 (Ref:3395661)   #442
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
From the commentary it seems they are aware of what isn't working in the US, and make a point to specify how things are different/preferable in PWC.
Old 20 Apr 2014, 18:31 (Ref:3395899)   #443
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
1969MGCGTdriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I like the prototypes better than the GTs but I like good racing better than either, so let's keep PWC as a good racing series, and not wish it to become a clone of ... a couple failed series.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 10:50 (Ref:3396611)   #444
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Now when they improved the streaming video I no longer can watch it on my iPad? So much for improvments
Old 22 Apr 2014, 14:36 (Ref:3396738)   #445
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb View Post
Now when they improved the streaming video I no longer can watch it on my iPad? So much for improvments
They have pretty much all the races on youtube within a day or two under the Pirelli World Challenge account, including those from years past.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WorldChallengeTV
Old 22 Apr 2014, 17:18 (Ref:3396820)   #446
ttdriver2009
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb View Post
I thought that too. I had to fire up the PC to watch the race live.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 20:22 (Ref:3396905)   #447
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, live...my bad.

Not sure why they don't just stream right to Youtube.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 21:04 (Ref:3396928)   #448
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Their TV package on NBCSN is bad. Too many commercials. 2:50 left, "we'll take a quick break"? Glad they have it streamed online!
Old 23 Apr 2014, 00:43 (Ref:3397007)   #449
Cheyne
Racer

United States
Warrenton, VA
Cheyne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The live stream isn't what the series wants you to watch. It is nice they put it up, but they would prefer we watch the NBCSC or MAVTV broadcasts where they are paying to have it up hence the crappy feed and website for the stream. No incentive to do better if it takes away from what they want people to watch.

Cheyne
Old 23 Apr 2014, 14:30 (Ref:3397262)   #450
ttdriver2009
Racer

The TV production was not that great. Lots of commercials and not a too much racing. I guess it's hard when the first 20 minutes of the race was run under caution. Why can't RLM do PWC? Seems they could do a much better job.

As for that GTS class, are those just GT4 cars?