Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Apr 2014, 03:15 (Ref:3398603)   #476
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
I also like having the GTS cars running with the GT/GTA classes.
Lots of cool cars and great racing. What's not to like?

Maybe Jeff Lepper....but that is just me.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 15:37 (Ref:3398808)   #477
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Thank goodness the track is on the East side of Birmingham! Lots of rain coming, but they should get the 1st race in before it hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E7PsVIXpeg
Old 27 Apr 2014, 15:56 (Ref:3398816)   #478
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pirelli World Challenge--the best thirty-minute sprint series in North America.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 16:04 (Ref:3398819)   #479
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
Does anybody know what happened to Hedlund (Mike)? He qualified, but didn't run in Race 1 or 2, and hasn't been on Twitter.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 16:32 (Ref:3398828)   #480
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Well that was a little silly from Lazarro. Couldn't see Palmer going past so he didn't need to run up the curb so high.

Edit: Good race though, not seen yesterday's yet.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 16:35 (Ref:3398830)   #481
JoeMaters
Racer

JoeMaters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great race, specially that end lol.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 16:37 (Ref:3398831)   #482
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
What.....a......race!!!!!
Old 27 Apr 2014, 16:38 (Ref:3398832)   #483
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both races this weekend were pretty good, granted I would like to see them speed up the caution periods.

The best thing is that the series is only going to get better with Acura and Bentley joining later in the season.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 16:52 (Ref:3398841)   #484
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty good racing in both race 1 and 2

Much better then the Long Beach race
Old 27 Apr 2014, 16:52 (Ref:3398842)   #485
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
That might be the best, non-artificial ending to a sportscar race so far this year.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 17:35 (Ref:3398855)   #486
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stream worked for 30 minutes and then it shut off. Couldn't get back on. Gave up and watched timing and scoring. Those GTS drivers need to figure out how to race. Again, it was another shortened race. Would be nice to get some more green flag time as the GT cars are great but only seeing them for such a short period is disappointing. Since these GT3 cars run races up to 24 hours in Europe, why cant PWC start doing 6 or 12 hour races? I'd love to camp out for a 24hr PWC race.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 17:44 (Ref:3398861)   #487
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
Stream worked for 30 minutes and then it shut off. Couldn't get back on. Gave up and watched timing and scoring. Those GTS drivers need to figure out how to race. Again, it was another shortened race. Would be nice to get some more green flag time as the GT cars are great but only seeing them for such a short period is disappointing. Since these GT3 cars run races up to 24 hours in Europe, why cant PWC start doing 6 or 12 hour races? I'd love to camp out for a 24hr PWC race.
The complaint is getting as old as the "bring prototypes to PWC" chant....

This is Pirelli World Challenge! It is a GT sprint race series, period. The shear amount of money a team needs to run a 6 hour race versus a 1 hour race is incredible. Also, most teams don't have enough staff to run a a basic pit crew.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 17:45 (Ref:3398862)   #488
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
That might be the best, non-artificial ending to a sportscar race so far this year.
Agreed!^^

The camera work to find the other on-track battles in other classes was superb. Great race to watch.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3398890)   #489
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To expand on a PointDSM's point: the directing was superb.there was almost always good action on screen and the director caught all the really important moves. Even when there were four good battles (lead and second in each class) I felt like I could follow everything important about all four contests.
A shame to see Lazarro crack under pressure but great to see an Audi beat a Ferrari
Old 27 Apr 2014, 19:09 (Ref:3398894)   #490
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where can the series get better at this point? I think standing starts is not the best thing for the PWC series.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 19:16 (Ref:3398896)   #491
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Where can the series get better at this point? I think standing starts is not the best thing for the PWC series.
Could this be down to relative inexperience in standing starts? I imagine if they stick with it (for certain tracks maybe), it won't be such a big problem.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 19:36 (Ref:3398900)   #492
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Could this be down to relative inexperience in standing starts? I imagine if they stick with it (for certain tracks maybe), it won't be such a big problem.
I just don't think it suits GT3 cars very well. Standing starts are great for open wheel single seaters though.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 20:05 (Ref:3398904)   #493
ttdriver2009
Racer

It makes sense. PWC is just a sprint series. It's just a shame to see GT3 cars not utilized to their full potential. I really like these cars but just don't understand why there is not an endurance series in the states for these cars? Maybe a separate PWC enduro series? Use the existing cars but if you want to run the endurance races you can, in it's own championship. The Blancpain North American Endurance Series Presented by Pirelli World Challenge, would be a great series.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 21:44 (Ref:3398945)   #494
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
At the moment, there are probably somewhere between 20 and 30 GT3 (and semi-GT3) cars in the States. Whilst I'm sure many of us would agree with the sentiment, these things won't happen overnight. After those races at Barber, each a fantastic example of multi-class GT racing, can't you/we just enjoy what we have for now.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 23:04 (Ref:3398968)   #495
ttdriver2009
Racer

I see that the PWC TC race today was cancelled at Barber. Didn't they cancel a GT race at St. Pete? Why do they keep cancelling races? Doesn't that cost the teams money?
Old 27 Apr 2014, 23:40 (Ref:3398984)   #496
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
Erm, no it wasn't. Ended after the scheduled 50 minutes.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 23:56 (Ref:3398991)   #497
Maelochs
Veteran

@ttdriver2009: In both cases the races were cancelled because sever weather made racing impossible. Thunderstorms, water flowing across the track, tornado warnings ...

However much it costs teams not to race, it costs them a whole lot more to rebuild wrecked cars.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 01:36 (Ref:3399012)   #498
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched both races on youtube a bit after they were held, top work PWC for getting them up so fast.

-Can people just stop suggesting prototypes need to be added? This series is far and away better as it is than if it were made into some sort of ALMS wannabe, please, it's over, ALMS is gone.

-Same with wanting this to become an endurance series or add endurance races, the series isn't meant to be anything other than sprint races and with the structure it uses it's also cheap, hence the pretty good grids the series has gotten for nearly it's entire history. If it ain't broke don't mess with it!

Now for the race, can't say enough of how entertaining these races have been! As has been said already the directing of the streams is absolutely brilliant, there's no focus on just the GT leaders but on almost all battles between all cars. Only thing I've not enjoyed is K-Pax being a tad rubbish (McLaren fanatic right here) but I guess they've got to get up to speed with the car. Standing starts? Might be worth doing away with them if the fields continue to grow, the crash at the start of the Sunday race looks like it wouldn't have been avoided if it was a standing or rolling start.

Either way, great stuff and again I'm looking forward to the next round.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 04:04 (Ref:3399038)   #499
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yea I really want to see kpax and the mclaren's up front, seeing them struggle with launching isn't fun.i sure miss seeing those volvo's quick launch.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 06:46 (Ref:3399065)   #500
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
People like prototypes. They probably want them in this series to have an elms type feel to it. That and they could set a trend. But then itd be weird since lmp's are geared more toward endurance not the sprint races that WC is doing. GT3's are more than enough, itd be good to get more teams involved and that would elevate the series with some high profile names joining.