Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Apr 2014, 11:35 (Ref:3399152)   #501
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with the "stop trying to change this series" comments. What they are doing is obviously working. I personally really like the class make up, with the GT cars being more aspirational machines and the GTS cars being attainable sporty cars (and some Kias ).

The races were quite good. Especially have to compliment Nick Mancuso, he did a great job, especially in the first race where he responded well to the pressure he was getting and made a few nice moves to keep his spot.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 19:10 (Ref:3399333)   #502
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Erm, no it wasn't. Ended after the scheduled 50 minutes.
About 20 of those 50, were cars running around behind the pace car. If that's racing, then the 5 hours at Sebring under yellow were too.

I love the series and it could really take off and finally put IMSA out of business but at this point, it doesn't seem to be happening. I look at it as a terrible endurance series being run into the ground (IMSA) and a sprint series (PWC) that has the golden opportunity to become the top sportscar series in the states. Yet PWC seems to be playing second fiddle to IndyCar, streams that kind of work and races being cancelled.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 19:42 (Ref:3399348)   #503
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Youtube stream was flawless, and the single PWC race that was cancelled was the Touring Car classes...
Old 28 Apr 2014, 22:47 (Ref:3399414)   #504
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
About 20 of those 50, were cars running around behind the pace car. If that's racing, then the 5 hours at Sebring under yellow were too.

I love the series and it could really take off and finally put IMSA out of business but at this point, it doesn't seem to be happening. I look at it as a terrible endurance series being run into the ground (IMSA) and a sprint series (PWC) that has the golden opportunity to become the top sportscar series in the states. Yet PWC seems to be playing second fiddle to IndyCar, streams that kind of work and races being cancelled.
Shortened means not run to its full distance.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 00:15 (Ref:3399439)   #505
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
I agree with the "stop trying to change this series" comments. What they are doing is obviously working. I personally really like the class make up, with the GT cars being more aspirational machines and the GTS cars being attainable sporty cars (and some Kias ).
I actually kind of like the Kias. They remind me (just a little bit) of the Citroen SM.
I love the livery too, It looks just like the boxes that factory Kia repair parts are packaged in.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 00:20 (Ref:3399441)   #506
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Where can the series get better at this point? I think standing starts is not the best thing for the PWC series.
I agree.
The standing starts are kind of cool. But it is not really worth the accidents that it often causes.

Overall though, the series is awesome!
Old 29 Apr 2014, 00:33 (Ref:3399444)   #507
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
Yet PWC seems to be playing second fiddle to IndyCar, streams that kind of work and races being cancelled.
It's growing, but it's not at the level where it can be a headliner yet, I'd imagine that's still a few years off at least (That's if some big name teams come over from TUSC). Their streaming also does need improving, but even compared to how is was for St. Pete it's improved quite a bit in both stability and presentation.

I also hope they aren't trying to compete with the TUSC as I would rather have them develop their own identity rather than the "TUSC replacement".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaro Zukovsky View Post
and the single PWC race that was cancelled was the Touring Car classes...
The opening GT round was also cancelled. Can't say I fault them for either one though as you can't have them out there in severe weather and track time is limited when sharing with other series'.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 05:00 (Ref:3399492)   #508
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
I must have missed the memo somewhere, but what became of that TRG Aston Program for Drissi?

I watched it run at Long Beach draped in a Spider Man livery, and I assumed it would contend the remainder of the season. A one off program?

Also, what ever happened with that Taggart Autosport entry (911 GT3 R)? I faintly remember them crashing out at St. Pete. I wonder if that caused them to withdraw from the remainder of the season because of the damage.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 10:29 (Ref:3399600)   #509
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Up until this weekend I was opposed, but now I am convinced---PWC needs to get rid of standing starts. Otherwise i think the series is excellent in every way, but those standing starts have been disastrous, and have the potential to be a lot more disastrous.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 10:51 (Ref:3399609)   #510
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the old PWC specific GTs they worked, the cars were designed for it but with the GT3s it's better off they go to rolling starts imo.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 12:05 (Ref:3399634)   #511
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
I actually kind of like the Kias. They remind me (just a little bit) of the Citroen SM.
I love the livery too, It looks just like the boxes that factory Kia repair parts are packaged in.
I actually think they look pretty good, but it's too easy to poke a little fun at them for being kinda out of place.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 13:24 (Ref:3399664)   #512
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Photos from Pirelli World Challenge at Barber Motorsports Park

So I somehow stumbled onto a cool feature of Google Photos....

I uploaded photos to Google Photos to facilitate haring them with the lads & lassies in the Ten-Tenths chatroom. I usually upload to Facebook, but not everyone can view them there.

A series of photos taken w/ the auto-shutter were uploaded and the fine servers at Google made this little bit of goodness. AUTOMATICALLY!

Needless to say, I'll be uploading photos to Google Photos henceforth.

Here are the full galleries of the IndyCar/MRTI/PWC weekend at Barber Motorsports Park, for anyone who is interested.

Friday: http://bit.ly/1ikLuNG
Saturday: http://bit.ly/1fHU6Jr
Sunday: http://bit.ly/1fHXqEv

Last edited by mythoughtsareracing; 29 Apr 2014 at 13:32. Reason: Misspelling in title
Old 29 Apr 2014, 13:34 (Ref:3399670)   #513
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
With the old PWC specific GTs they worked, the cars were designed for it but with the GT3s it's better off they go to rolling starts imo.
Are there other series that use a standing start with GT3's, or is this the only one?
Old 29 Apr 2014, 13:47 (Ref:3399675)   #514
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Far as I can tell it's the only one, don't think Australian GT does it.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 14:13 (Ref:3399684)   #515
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I love the standing starts ... I am much less fond of the resulting caution periods and reduced fields.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 16:00 (Ref:3399708)   #516
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
-Can people just stop suggesting prototypes need to be added? This series is far and away better as it is than if it were made into some sort of ALMS wannabe, please, it's over, ALMS is gone.
Yep.

Quote:

-Same with wanting this to become an endurance series or add endurance races, the series isn't meant to be anything other than sprint races and with the structure it uses it's also cheap, hence the pretty good grids the series has gotten for nearly it's entire history. If it ain't broke don't mess with it!
Double yep.

I've started avoiding all of the TUSC threads because of the constant negativity and armchair quarter-backing. Can we please get off of what PWC is/isn't does/doesn't include, and simply enjoy the quality of racing? Enjoy it for what it is: A great series with competitive racing and great GT cars.

Best chance to get PWC to a headlining status would be to get GT / GTS so oversubscribed they have to run separate races, so it could be a TC/GTS/GT triple-header weekend. That does remove some sponsor benefit for GTS teams not being in "the main event".

The standing start issue definitely has some merit...I've never really been a huge fan if only because of the propensity to breed yellows, but it does mix up the starting order into turn 1 more often than not.
They do an excellent job on yellow flags / locals and get things cleared as quickly as they can when they do happen.

And if anyone thinks it's an issue with the GT/GTS cars on at the same time, you'd all have had a stroke when it was GT/GTS/TC at the same time.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 16:22 (Ref:3399717)   #517
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Did any of the 10-10s community members go to Barber? Curious to find out their experience, haven't seen the PWC races yet but the pics really show a great road course and how stunning a big field of mixed GT/bigger touring cars look at one of those!
Old 29 Apr 2014, 20:00 (Ref:3399814)   #518
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Did any of the 10-10s community members go to Barber? Curious to find out their experience, haven't seen the PWC races yet but the pics really show a great road course and how stunning a big field of mixed GT/bigger touring cars look at one of those!
I didn't go. I was thinking about going the IMSA race at Watkins Glen but due to the tiny response I got about attending that race, I don't know if I'm going to go. I do have the opportunity to be in the SLC area for the PWC there. Can I get some feedback on that track and when PWC runs there? With this series becoming viral, I'd like to see one and if I can arrange it with a work trip, I'm there. With all of the PWC interest, I'd like to hear from the ones that have gone and what Miller is like.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 14:23 (Ref:3400017)   #519
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has there been any word on the Acura / Real Time entry for GT?
Old 30 Apr 2014, 14:40 (Ref:3400027)   #520
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Hi, MTAR! Those photos are great

Would you agree to upload some of them to Wikimedia Commons with a free licence? That way we could use them in Wikipedia, and more people would have the chance to enjoy them.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 15:03 (Ref:3400034)   #521
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
Has there been any word on the Acura / Real Time entry for GT?
Debut scheduled for Detroit: http://www.world-challenge.com/news/...rand-prix.html
Old 30 Apr 2014, 21:50 (Ref:3400164)   #522
Coach Ep
Veteran

Entry list for Detroit Belle Isle GP is up: http://www.world-challenge.com/image...nd-Prix-v6.pdf

The new Acura is there, Taggart's Porsche is back and another Viper (an older model) is added in GT-A for Louis-Philippe Montour (never heard of the guy before), no extra Lambo or Aston Martin. Together with the GTS entries the total is 50 - another crowded street race in the making!

P.S. I'm leaving the touring car rounds at Mosport out - after all it's the Sportscar & GT section...
Old 1 May 2014, 00:55 (Ref:3400195)   #523
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Entry list for Detroit Belle Isle GP is up: http://www.world-challenge.com/image...nd-Prix-v6.pdf

The new Acura is there, Taggart's Porsche is back and another Viper (an older model) is added in GT-A for Louis-Philippe Montour (never heard of the guy before), no extra Lambo or Aston Martin. Together with the GTS entries the total is 50 - another crowded street race in the making!

P.S. I'm leaving the touring car rounds at Mosport out - after all it's the Sportscar & GT section...
Montour has raced in PWC before... 2 years ago, IIRC. Porsche Cup, too, as well as some other GT and open wheel. Canadian lad.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 1 May 2014, 02:01 (Ref:3400201)   #524
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Looks like he has done very well in the Viper Cup as well. He's a damn veteran compared to Gaston Kirby!
Old 1 May 2014, 02:04 (Ref:3400203)   #525
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It was everything you'd imagine it would be.