Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Jul 2014, 01:31 (Ref:3430118)   #701
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No it's the older style viper
Old 7 Jul 2014, 00:47 (Ref:3431204)   #702
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems to me that when SCCA is running with a series like Indycar or NASCAR, they have to live with the schedule that they are given. PWC doesn't seem to have the following where they can dictate the schedule to their liking. I would also think that if another series ended up getting their race or session cut short or cancelled because PWC had a 20 or 30 minute cleanup, they would not be happy. I understand the diversity of the field but there are other series' that offer diversity and they have to live with the schedule too.

At WG the Continental race started off with a long yellow and it would not be fair for the other races after that race had to suffer because if the caution periods were tacked onto the end of the race.

A solution would be for PWC to be the last race of the day at around 3pm and that would leave 2 hours to get through a 50 minute race. Another solution would be for PWC to be the headliner race for the weekend and then they can call the shots (I still think that is difficult because it looks like you need support races to fill the dead time on the track and if you continually take advantage of them, they will go elsewhere). One more solution would be for a longer PWC race so they have more green flag time. Maybe make them like a Continental race where they are 2-1/2 hours long.

PWC looks like they are stuck with what they got. Great series, great diversity in two classes but not enough of a following to make it the headline of the weekend. Maybe that will change for 2015.
Old 7 Jul 2014, 01:29 (Ref:3431209)   #703
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good article on DSC, interview with PWC CEO: http://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=35461

Some of the key points:
Quote:
One of the unique perspectives that Scott has is who his customer really is. The ALMS had the “For the Fans” motto, but that’s not the case here. He’s quite clear when he says his customers are the competitors in the paddock.
Quote:
Part of the growth of the series for the future includes some stand-alone events, which may include endurance format races. “We’re in negotiations now with some premier tracks in North America for events where we will be the series at the track. We want to bring the entire series and showcase what we have. The plans are still being sorted, but our thoughts are that our usual sprint race on Saturday, followed by an endurance race on Sunday might be a good showcase. What we need to sort is exactly how these races will take place. Our customers are interested, so we need to look into it. We need to be careful though, as pit stops can add to the equipment costs associated with racing and we need to be sure that we don’t excessively don’t add to the cost to compete."
Old 7 Jul 2014, 01:40 (Ref:3431212)   #704
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
Good article on DSC, interview with PWC CEO: http://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=35461

Some of the key points:
Honesty is awesome! Love this series more and more...
Old 7 Jul 2014, 17:56 (Ref:3431506)   #705
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Hopefully PWC draws enough this year that the next time its officials sit down with track owners, they can work out issues like this---in PWC's favor.
PWC: We demand top billing and schedule flexibility.

Track: You run sprints races and support the headliner. Sorry.

PWC: We read on the internet people say we are big time. Give in or we won't race.

Track: Don't call us. We'll call you.

PWC:
Old 7 Jul 2014, 18:02 (Ref:3431509)   #706
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good one, DeezPutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailysportscar
One of the unique perspectives that Scott has is who his customer really is. The ALMS had the “For the Fans” motto, but that’s not the case here. He’s quite clear when he says his customers are the competitors in the paddock.
Isn't that kinda the SRO way of doing things?
Old 7 Jul 2014, 21:34 (Ref:3431563)   #707
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Yep, it is, it's also the way GT Tour, British GT, Blancpain Endurance and Sprint, GT Open, GT Asia, ELMS (now) and various other series work. Arguably GT Masters is the GT championship of the world closest to being Pro, but that still follows the model for most of the grid.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 02:37 (Ref:3431630)   #708
ttdriver2009
Racer

I was talking to someone from IMSA at WG and he told me that IMSA has three sets of customers. The competitors, partners (sponsors) and the fans. If one goes away, then they won't have a series. I wonder if PWC is concentrating on the competitors right now to build that up and then they can start looking into the sponsors and fans as customers too. I'm a bit confused because they were advertising that the series celebrated it's 25th anniversary and you'd think by now, they would have all of that in place 10 to 15 years ago. Again, I'll have to find out when I go to one of their races.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 04:04 (Ref:3431641)   #709
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
I was talking to someone from IMSA at WG and he told me that IMSA has three sets of customers. The competitors, partners (sponsors) and the fans. If one goes away, then they won't have a series. I wonder if PWC is concentrating on the competitors right now to build that up and then they can start looking into the sponsors and fans as customers too. I'm a bit confused because they were advertising that the series celebrated it's 25th anniversary and you'd think by now, they would have all of that in place 10 to 15 years ago. Again, I'll have to find out when I go to one of their races.
Take a look at the bottom of the home page for the PIRELLI (title sponsor) World Challenge. BRM watch company, Recaro, Eibach, etc, etc. Seems like they have their sponsors, competitors, fans, and the momentum building.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 8 Jul 2014, 08:25 (Ref:3431689)   #710
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling24 View Post
Take a look at the bottom of the home page for the PIRELLI (title sponsor) World Challenge. BRM watch company, Recaro, Eibach, etc, etc.
So? Near-dead series like Trans-Am have loads of small sponsors as well
http://www.gotransam.com/partners/

Last edited by Deleted; 8 Jul 2014 at 08:31.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 18:52 (Ref:3431885)   #711
ttdriver2009
Racer

From looking around, I wonder if SCCA Pro Racing could do a complete weekend with their series' (like what IMSA is doing).
-GT,GT-A and GTS for two 50 minute sprint races
-TC,TCA,TCB for two 40 minute sprints
-Trans-Am for a 100 minute race
-MX-5 Cup two 45 minute sprints
-F1600/2000 two 30 minute sprints
-Atlantics two 30 minute sprints

If Trans-Am can do a 100 minute race, I would think that the GT-GT-A and GTS cars could do that too. Maybe a 50 minute sprint on Saturday and a 100 minute enduro on Sunday. This way, SCCA Pro controls the weekend (like what IMSA did at WG). If they need to change the schedule, they can. Maybe have the GT,GT-A,GTS 50 minute sprint be at the end of the day on Saturday and if the race needs to be stopped to clean up an accident, then they stop the clock and cars to clean it up. That way they can still give the fans 50 minutes of racing.

As for tracks, you have places like Lime Rock, VIR, NJMP, Mid-Ohio, Road America, Barber, Sonoma, Miller, Canadian Tire Motorsports Park, Laguna Seca. All natural terrain and tracks that NASCAR doesn't control. With all of the momentum of PWC, this would just give the fan double the choices of races to go to (when you count IMSA and SCCA Pro). IMSA can do the endurance events and SCCA can handle the sprints. Looks to me that SCCA could do this.

Since I have never been to a PWC event or any SCCA Pro, I don't know if this would be something that would bring out the fans or not. Then, does SCCA Pro have all of the manufacturer and sponsor displays (like IMSA has) to keep you busy during the times where you just want to walk around.

http://www.sccaproracing.com/
Old 8 Jul 2014, 20:25 (Ref:3431911)   #712
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
So? Near-dead series like Trans-Am have loads of small sponsors as well
http://www.gotransam.com/partners/
So you're comparing a "near-dead" series to one that is growing? One that is "near-dead" to one that has manufacturer interest? Yeah, OK. How do you know how "small" PWC sponsorships are? You talking company size? Cost of sponsorship? You know how much money each is putting in?
My reply was to a comment that apparently was saying that PWC hasn't enough fans or sponsors, etc. Obviously TA does not.

Last edited by Breitling24; 8 Jul 2014 at 20:36.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 9 Jul 2014, 12:14 (Ref:3432135)   #713
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
From looking around, I wonder if SCCA Pro Racing could do a complete weekend with their series'
Sure they could, but it would likely be a big money loser. It'd pretty much have to be a track rental- nobody's paying a sanction fee for that lineup right now- and despite the PWC fervor on this forum, they'd have trouble filling a phonebooth with people purely attending as spectators and not as team members.

Quote:
As for tracks, you have places like Lime Rock, VIR, NJMP, Mid-Ohio, Road America, Barber, Sonoma, Miller, Canadian Tire Motorsports Park, Laguna Seca. All natural terrain and tracks that NASCAR doesn't control.
There are several tracks on your list that NASCAR may not control, but over which they do exert significant influence.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 12:48 (Ref:3432149)   #714
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
Sure they could, but it would likely be a big money loser. It'd pretty much have to be a track rental- nobody's paying a sanction fee for that lineup right now- and despite the PWC fervor on this forum, they'd have trouble filling a phonebooth with people purely attending as spectators and not as team members.

There are several tracks on your list that NASCAR may not control, but over which they do exert significant influence.
Correct on all points. People need to calm down and just enjoy PWC for what it is and not what they think it is or should be.

The irony is if every series went and did what this board complains about every series would be the same then we would decry that.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 13:02 (Ref:3432156)   #715
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Good post sir, it's enjoyable; let's enjoy it!
Old 9 Jul 2014, 14:17 (Ref:3432193)   #716
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezPutz View Post
The irony is if every series went and did what this board complains about every series would be the same then we would decry that.
Most of the series already are exactly the same with GT3 formula dominating 90% of the sportscar series, either as sole class or headliner. I cannot distinguish any of the current SRO or national series or even things like IGTO, they are all the same and as confusing as the spec single seater ladder to F1. GT3 coming to North America isn't exactly helping in that

So doing whatever we wished wouldn't change the mindset that much

Last edited by Deleted; 9 Jul 2014 at 14:27.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 16:42 (Ref:3432215)   #717
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"The irony is if every series went and did what this board complains about ..."

They are already doing what we complain about ... that's why we are complaining.

PWC seems to have a working formula.We shall see if and how the proposed enduros work out.

Some people think "Blancpain USA" would be a real hit---cars people recognize, close racing, long enough events for things to develop but short enough that people can commit to watching the whole race.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 19:28 (Ref:3432248)   #718
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
PWC could limit cost of refueling for the 'desired' enduros (yes please!) by doing that a la Zolder and Dubai 24 hours in a separate refueling area with 4-6 regular pomps instead of the more expensive, individual pit box devices.

Any of the US tracks have such an area?
Old 9 Jul 2014, 19:48 (Ref:3432258)   #719
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
PWC could limit cost of refueling for the 'desired' enduros (yes please!) by doing that a la Zolder and Dubai 24 hours in a separate refueling area with 4-6 regular pomps instead of the more expensive, individual pit box devices.

Any of the US tracks have such an area?
I think that only works in a 24hour race when things can play out over a relatively long time... in the 3 hour races, pit windows tend to be much less separated, so cars that couldn't find a free pump when coming in would be at a massive handicap.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 20:59 (Ref:3432282)   #720
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
The refueling equipment is a miniscule cost in an endurance race. The current season runs 850 minutes of race time. One single 6 hour race will add 360 minutes to that figure and a 10 hour race will add 600 minutes to that figure.

Not to mention the investment in pit equipment (fast air guns for tire changes are expensive, most PWC teams use slower and cheaper guns) which would only be required for a handful of events is not a good use of money.

You're looking at more then doubling a season budget by just adding a single 6 Hour race to the schedule. It's the dumbest idea I've heard for the PWC series and as soon as the teams do the math they'll give it a big middle finger.

If SCCA Pro Racing wants to run/sanction some endurance races with GT3 cars I'd be all for it and totally support them (but probably not with my wallet), but the current Pirelli World Challenge series is no place for it.

-mike
Old 9 Jul 2014, 23:26 (Ref:3432321)   #721
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Just watching the Road America race back; what a circuit and event: nice to see the other marques being involved, the McLarens and Porsches featuring well and finally seeing GT3s on the sort of US track they belong on.

Great drives by Skeen, Thorne and Bergmeister, fantastic 4, 5 or 6 car battles early on between the Ferrari, Audis, McLarens and Bergmeister's Porsche.

Looking forward to the next rounds, I can't see much that needs to change!

Last edited by Rodger Davies; 9 Jul 2014 at 23:36.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 23:56 (Ref:3432327)   #722
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
It's great to have another person see the light that is PWC. The only thing we need is to get a bit more cars in the series to have GT/GTA race separate from GTS (both classes are awesome),
Old 9 Jul 2014, 23:58 (Ref:3432328)   #723
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
The refueling equipment is a miniscule cost in an endurance race. The current season runs 850 minutes of race time. One single 6 hour race will add 360 minutes to that figure and a 10 hour race will add 600 minutes to that figure.

Not to mention the investment in pit equipment (fast air guns for tire changes are expensive, most PWC teams use slower and cheaper guns) which would only be required for a handful of events is not a good use of money.

You're looking at more then doubling a season budget by just adding a single 6 Hour race to the schedule. It's the dumbest idea I've heard for the PWC series and as soon as the teams do the math they'll give it a big middle finger.

If SCCA Pro Racing wants to run/sanction some endurance races with GT3 cars I'd be all for it and totally support them (but probably not with my wallet), but the current Pirelli World Challenge series is no place for it.

-mike
Impossible to argue against your reason Mike. I think everyone here simply wants SCCA Pro Racing to sanction a GT3 enduro, nothing more than that. Having a GT3 6 hour race at Laguna Seca would be on par with Bathurst...or as close as NA can really get.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 01:16 (Ref:3432335)   #724
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
It's great to have another person see the light that is PWC. The only thing we need is to get a bit more cars in the series to have GT/GTA race separate from GTS (both classes are awesome),
I'm not looking forward to the splitting of the classes, and I'm kinda surprised so many people seem to be, since so many people insist that the multi-class aspect is one of the great things about sportscar racing.

I get that if the grid gets any bigger they will pretty much have to split the classes at places like St. Pete and Long Beach though.

I just can't help but feel like adding a few GT cars won't be able to add anywhere near as much excitement as we will lose by cutting the GTS cars out. Hope I'm wrong though.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 01:39 (Ref:3432341)   #725
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
When GTS runs on its own..what is the real purpose for Trans Am to exist? Think about it...

I think we would need about 10 more GT/GTA cars for the split to happen.