Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Mar 2014, 23:27 (Ref:3382837)   #201
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
What was all the comment about Turner being slightly outside the rules at Sebring? Heard several loaded comments aimed in their direction, got the impression they were maybe still using some of the aids that are supposed to be restricted in GTD?
I thought their wing placement was out of sorts, or something.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 23:27 (Ref:3382838)   #202
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
What was all the comment about Turner being slightly outside the rules at Sebring? Heard several loaded comments aimed in their direction, got the impression they were maybe still using some of the aids that are supposed to be restricted in GTD?
I haven't heard anyone say they were outside the rules. I just think the BOP is heavily in the Z4's favor. Until it got dark their fastest race lap was nearly 1 second clear of anyone else in the class. They went slower at night and even with the banged up front end, I don't think anyone believes they were pushing at 100%.

It's all in the game...

-mike
Old 21 Mar 2014, 23:36 (Ref:3382841)   #203
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Gotcha; just saw a few comments, didn't think much of them until I listened to MWM and their cryptic "the car seemed veeery familiar [to Marcus Paltalla]" comment, made me curious.

Good to see them also adopting a proper GT3 spec for an interesting circuit.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 00:09 (Ref:3382850)   #204
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do not expect Turner back in TUSCCAR anytime soon.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 22 Mar 2014, 00:51 (Ref:3382858)   #205
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Turner was a Grand-Am stalwart. And... they qualy'd on pole at Sebring. Why are they so eager to bail?
Old 22 Mar 2014, 01:10 (Ref:3382860)   #206
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
Turner was a Grand-Am stalwart. And... they qualy'd on pole at Sebring. Why are they so eager to bail?
Da lalana pays most of turners bills, and also the one paying for Astons gtlm at daytona.so if anything I think it has to do with him,for some reason he also decided not to do the ctcs race at the last moment.

With pwc grids getting bigger and the possibility of more gtd teams jumping over,I wonder if they can make races longer like maybe 2 hours.if not there the chance thay can also be caution fests.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 02:46 (Ref:3382869)   #207
Cheyne
Racer

United States
Warrenton, VA
Cheyne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Da lalana pays most of turners bills, and also the one paying for Astons gtlm at daytona.so if anything I think it has to do with him,for some reason he also decided not to do the ctcs race at the last moment.

With pwc grids getting bigger and the possibility of more gtd teams jumping over,I wonder if they can make races longer like maybe 2 hours.if not there the chance thay can also be caution fests.
I doubt they would go more than 1 hour. It would require pit stops and extra crew. While not a problem for some teams it would be a hardship for smaller teams. Especially in GTS. I know in the few races I did we only took 2 guys, my wife and daughter to the track. I choose WCGT over Grand Am Cup at the time due to no pit stops.

Cheyne
Old 22 Mar 2014, 02:49 (Ref:3382870)   #208
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Cheaper to run their Z4 GT3 in PWC. An increase in TV coverage, fair officiating, and similar racing. They can also take their Conti entries into PWC too.

Maybe they come back IF TUSCAR gets their **** straight, but...who knows.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 22 Mar 2014, 03:00 (Ref:3382873)   #209
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Erm, an INCREASE in TV coverage? How?
Old 22 Mar 2014, 03:48 (Ref:3382885)   #210
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Erm, an INCREASE in TV coverage? How?
You go from a *chance* at 25% coverage at *some* races streaming on imsa.com to a *chance* at 50% coverage at *all* races on NBC Sports.

But honestly, I don't think TV coverage has much of a factor in their decision making process.

-mike
Old 22 Mar 2014, 13:35 (Ref:3383002)   #211
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
A lot of GA stalwarts - especially on the CTSCC side of the paddock - are very unhappy with the way things have been run last year and even more so in the new season.

That also tells me that screaming "NASCRAP" is a gross oversimplification of the situation. These people were just fine with a NASCAR owned and controlled series for the better part of a decade, but things have really taken a turn for the worse since the IMSA/ALMS guys were brought in.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 18:48 (Ref:3383074)   #212
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the past Turner has run programs in WC and Grand-Am. Could just be Dalla Lana is looking for more track time, and St. Pete is within driving distance from the Turner shop.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 00:18 (Ref:3383169)   #213
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6 View Post
In the past Turner has run programs in WC and Grand-Am. Could just be Dalla Lana is looking for more track time, and St. Pete is within driving distance from the Turner shop.
There you go, and the next TUSC race for GTD is not until May.

Also it seems the Vita4one entry will be out although it's still on the entry list (no surprise really if it disappears).

Still leaves 50+ provisional entries, way too much for a street course, prepare for another yellow fest...
Old 23 Mar 2014, 00:26 (Ref:3383170)   #214
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post

Still leaves 50+ provisional entries, way too much for a street course, prepare for another yellow fest...

This is a completely different series, with a different mindset for officiating and race control, different drivers, the majority of which have raced there plenty of times.

Please.....don't jump to conclusions.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 02:35 (Ref:3383185)   #215
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Front page story on the Vaughan Citizen this week (local newspaper; Vaughan is the municipality north of Toronto where Ferrari of Ontario lives) about the Remo Ferri Competizione/Ferrari of Ontario WC team. Old news that they're entering, but nice exposure even if in a local rag.

Interesting comments in the story though - Mr. Ferri strongly believes that there is much better bang for the TV coverage buck in WC as compared with TUSCC. Recall that there have been connections with AIM autosport (in Grand Am) and the ALMS (R. Ferri Competizione fielded a GT2 Ferrari with Risi Competizione some years back; last I saw it was parked in the garage at the dealership).

Remo Ferri is no fool, having built a very successful set of dealerships (Ferrari, Maserati, BMW, Mini, FIAT) so it's interesting he's gone in this direction, I think. And nice for us here in Ontario, a local WC team to root for.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 06:25 (Ref:3383206)   #216
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
This is a completely different series, with a different mindset for officiating and race control, different drivers, the majority of which have raced there plenty of times.

Please.....don't jump to conclusions.
They've had some horrible yellow fest in the past as well, though. Especially at St.Pete. Not having pitstops to sort out makes the individual yellows a good deal shorter, but that's set off by having too many cars on a tight street circuit.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 17:24 (Ref:3383340)   #217
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Looks as if another GT3 entry is on its way in the form of Taggart Autosport, which ran a pair of Lotus Exige's in the GTS class. The team is now upgrading to the GT-A class with a Porsche GT3 R.

http://sportscar365.com/gt/world-cha...che-911-gt3-r/

Old 23 Mar 2014, 19:37 (Ref:3383383)   #218
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Apparently three cars are about to pull out, though should still be an epic entry no matter which.

Guessing one is Vita4One.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 04:27 (Ref:3383509)   #219
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
They've been doing a few no shows lately (Bathurst..), pretty poor form for a multiple championship winning team of their calibre. Back in the Maserati days it would've been unthinkable.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 11:03 (Ref:3383572)   #220
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Ah, can understand the logic - pay the entry fee in the hope of trying to find a customer/partner. Did you ever see the BES Spa 24 lists when they released them at the start of the season? About 50% of the listed cars were replaced by the race.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 21:33 (Ref:3383790)   #221
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
They've been doing a few no shows lately (Bathurst..), pretty poor form for a multiple championship winning team of their calibre. Back in the Maserati days it would've been unthinkable.
Back in the Maserati days they had sponsorship from Vitaphone and at least a certain amount of factory support from FIAT too. It's sad, but I think they're doing the best they can to drum up investment.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 12:40 (Ref:3384117)   #222
IndyMeister
Racer

IndyMeister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Sad but true.

Technically it might be the same team (even though the name has been altered) but I assume the 2006 champion squad was quite different to the one of 2013. I am talking about emplyees not the drivers or team principal ...
Old 25 Mar 2014, 16:50 (Ref:3384244)   #223
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
Front page story on the Vaughan Citizen this week (local newspaper; Vaughan is the municipality north of Toronto where Ferrari of Ontario lives) about the Remo Ferri Competizione/Ferrari of Ontario WC team. Old news that they're entering, but nice exposure even if in a local rag.

Interesting comments in the story though - Mr. Ferri strongly believes that there is much better bang for the TV coverage buck in WC as compared with TUSCC. Recall that there have been connections with AIM autosport (in Grand Am) and the ALMS (R. Ferri Competizione fielded a GT2 Ferrari with Risi Competizione some years back; last I saw it was parked in the garage at the dealership).

Remo Ferri is no fool, having built a very successful set of dealerships (Ferrari, Maserati, BMW, Mini, FIAT) so it's interesting he's gone in this direction, I think. And nice for us here in Ontario, a local WC team to root for.
Ah, found the story online if anyone's interested:
http://www.yorkregion.com/news-story...llenge-series/

The exact quote regarding TV exposure was, er, short but to the point:

“I believe we are going to get a lot more exposure (than with the Grand-AM series),” Mr. Ferri said.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 18:20 (Ref:3384277)   #224
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMeister View Post
Sad but true.

Technically it might be the same team (even though the name has been altered) but I assume the 2006 champion squad was quite different to the one of 2013. I am talking about emplyees not the drivers or team principal ...

Indeed. There was an employee exodus at the end of one season-I forget which year that was
Old 25 Mar 2014, 22:02 (Ref:3384371)   #225
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I interviewed Remo Ferri at the Daytona 24 in 2013 and he is quite an individual. Certainly no fool, and he has a fantastically interesting history. I'm pleased to see their addition to the series...2014 is looking like a real break-through year. Can't wait!