Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Sep 2003, 10:00 (Ref:722852)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
VX Racing consider Vectra for 2004

Autosport are reporting that VX Racing will evaluate a switch to the Vectra for the 2004 BTCC.

They aim to conduct back to back test with the Astra and Vectra before making a decision for next season.

A switch to a new car could provide a chink of light to the other factory teams who have struggled to find a consistent answer to the Astra's domination, as a new car often throws another variable into the mix.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 10:50 (Ref:722907)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Re: VX Racing consider Vectra for 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
a new car often throws another variable into the mix.
In this case the fact that the Vectra is the size of a house.

How does that seem like a good idea? Everyone else is using smaller cars so Vauxhall decide to use a family bus. Still, I suppose it's only a few rule changes away from being back to the good old super touring days.....
Old 18 Sep 2003, 11:37 (Ref:722949)   #3
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think they've been pushed into trying to make a decision by the fact that a new shape astra is out mid way through next year and it wouldn't make sense to be promoting the wrong car.

there was talk that they could switch to the vectra months ago, guess its official now.

if they go with the vectra could create quite an open year as they develop it.

Last edited by Neil Adams; 18 Sep 2003 at 11:39.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 12:41 (Ref:722994)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Does the Astra (or it's soon to be released replacement) meet ETCC regs? I suspect it probably doesn't although the Vectra certainly should. Can't honest see them building another BTC-T spec car.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 12:44 (Ref:722998)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
If they use the Vectra that frees up some more Astras for use by Independent teams - good news surely?
Old 18 Sep 2003, 12:57 (Ref:723017)   #6
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
redshoes

I was wondering the same thing, whether VX go for an ETCC spec Vectra with an eye to the future and viewing 2004 as a development year, as it's likely that any major new comers (and their future opposition) will enter with an ETCC reg car.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 13:45 (Ref:723059)   #7
ADnet
Racer

ADnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with the vectra, wouldn't they bang a V6 engine in it thus giving it more power anyways???
"Look at that.... You couldn't kill that vauxhall with a stick - Not a stright Panel left on it!" "Just dragging the remains of the vauxhall down the pit lane - He's turned it into a paperweight" "Can i have a new vauxhall please this ones had it!" <SN 1999>
Old 18 Sep 2003, 15:17 (Ref:723137)   #8
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
V6 doesn't guarantee more power - see MG.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 15:20 (Ref:723141)   #9
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and it could go in the Astra anyway?
Old 18 Sep 2003, 15:22 (Ref:723145)   #10
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Exactly. If it fits anyway.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 16:05 (Ref:723171)   #11
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
I was wondering the same thing, whether VX go for an ETCC spec Vectra with an eye to the future and viewing 2004 as a development year, as it's likely that any major new comers (and their future opposition) will enter with an ETCC reg car.

Such as BMW's, Alfas, Audi's or SEAT's. If any of those makes were to enter then it'd be with a family sized saloon - I can see what Vauxhall are aiming for.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 16:15 (Ref:723180)   #12
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
emmm, the Vectra...didn't do well in the 90's and I wasnt that sad to see it go. But I guess Vauxhall want to push the new Vectra back into racing to increase sales...etc etc But it would be nice to see it out on track. We will all have to wait and see.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 16:21 (Ref:723191)   #13
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this could very well be a step towards the BTCC adopting ETCC regs, which I feel will make total sense, rather than the current setup of different regs in different countries!
Old 18 Sep 2003, 17:33 (Ref:723257)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I think the faster we move over to ETCC regs the better. Let's face it, it IS going to happen sooner or later, let's get it over with so as to avoid too much politics and fall outs due to the ballast necessary to slow the BTCC cars down.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 19:11 (Ref:723363)   #15
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The think that crossed my mine when I read that at lunch time was that they said they are going to do back to back tests of an Astra and the Vectra why go to all the cost of building when car when they are not going to race it....
Old 18 Sep 2003, 21:06 (Ref:723501)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hardly an even footing is it? Testing a car with 3 years of racing and devlopment behind it against a brand new car that's never been raced.

I'm no expert in engineering, can engineers tell straight away from a car whether it has any potential or not ?
Old 19 Sep 2003, 02:36 (Ref:723694)   #17
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heck, it's great to see Vauxhall racing a 4dr saloon again!!
Go Vectra! OTOH, why not race the brand new unreleased Astra? Surely, that will get people's attention, tease them and perhaps cause some excitement???
Old 19 Sep 2003, 11:51 (Ref:724082)   #18
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i could well be wrong, but didn't they develop the astra in secret in 00, could that be the case here? they've allready got a racing vectra which they've been developing this year?

either that or its a case of chinese whispers with the story, and what they're actually trying to decide is whether to go with astra in btcc regs or the vectra in etcc regs.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 12:41 (Ref:724153)   #19
Peter B

Quote:
Originally posted by btcc-thunder
i think they've been pushed into trying to make a decision by the fact that a new shape astra is out mid way through next year and it wouldn't make sense to be promoting the wrong car.

there was talk that they could switch to the vectra months ago, guess its official now.

if they go with the vectra could create quite an open year as they develop it.
The new Astras for next year are just the 3 and 5 door hatches. I think the current coupe body style continues until 2005, so if they were to stick with the Astra coupe they would still be promoting a current car.

Old 19 Sep 2003, 13:08 (Ref:724180)   #20
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter B
The new Astras for next year are just the 3 and 5 door hatches. I think the current coupe body style continues until 2005, so if they were to stick with the Astra coupe they would still be promoting a current car.
I'd guess that the Astra models they'd want to be heavily promoting though would be the big-selling models- ie the all-new 3/5 door hatches, rather than the coupe in it's last year of production-

Last edited by KA; 19 Sep 2003 at 13:10.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 14:18 (Ref:724263)   #21
KPC
Racer

England
Well below that pie in the sky
KPC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SPARK Msport
emmm, the Vectra...didn't do well in the 90's and I wasnt that sad to see it go.
That Vectra was as much the same spec of the current Vectra as it was the same spec of the Cavalier. The Vectra came along and wasn't it a shambles. Recalls left right and centre, always seen at the side of the road with an RAC van. By all accounts the new Vectra is a sound car, if pig ugly. I think the designer was given a block of clay but couldn't be ars*d that day.

Nevertheless, interesting that they are introducing such a big car, just after VLR downsize because of SIZE problems. But then again, size is an illusion these days. The Civic is a hatchback. Hatchbacks are small, we all know that. But you park a saloon up against one and you'll see that the hatchback is actually built to a bigger scale. Also, let us not forget how we scoffed when the Volvo Estates were wheeled out.... and there was a surprise.

Top teams and cars come and go in the BTCC just as they do in F1 and every other motorsport. Vauxhall have had a good crack of the whip and are now being caught on the development front by the other teams. Give them a new spec car to compete against the Honda and they'll be no competition for a year or two. But racing is also about selling cars, otherwise the Cavalier would no doubt still be raced... if it ain't broken, don't fix it being the attitude.

Perhaps VXR should give the Corsa a go?
Old 19 Sep 2003, 15:18 (Ref:724329)   #22
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
It may well end up as a marketing decision, as undoubtedly it is from this budget that the funds for VX racing originate from.

On that basis you have to say Vauxhall have little to gain from so heavily promoting a model at the end of it's cycle, when their other marketing emphasis is on the new Vectra.

What they will have to emulate though is the consistency of the Astra, as it has been a performer at every type of track, whereas it's arguable that the MG's (for example) have suffered from an overall inconsistent performance over a season and mix of tracks.
Old 20 Sep 2003, 02:33 (Ref:724778)   #23
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By '04, the Vauxhall will be in it's 2nd or 3rd year of production? Meanwhile, 3/5 dr Astra will be brand new. heck, it wouldn't even have been launched? Has a manufacturer ever raced a car that isn't even available yet?? If not, why haven't they done that before?
Old 20 Sep 2003, 06:16 (Ref:724826)   #24
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Because the rules dictate a certain number of road cars have been built/sold before it is eligable to race?
Old 20 Sep 2003, 09:07 (Ref:724873)   #25
ADnet
Racer

ADnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yep exactly
"Look at that.... You couldn't kill that vauxhall with a stick - Not a stright Panel left on it!" "Just dragging the remains of the vauxhall down the pit lane - He's turned it into a paperweight" "Can i have a new vauxhall please this ones had it!" <SN 1999>