Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Nov 2013, 15:10 (Ref:3338637)   #1
Chazmando
Rookie

England
Chazmando should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bahrain night race

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25155294

The 2014 Bahrain GP will be raced under floodlights, with an Abu-Dhabi timescale (Late afternoon-nightfall).

They are trialing the floodlights at the WEC event.

Any thoughts guys?
Old 30 Nov 2013, 15:25 (Ref:3338640)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For a start its an hour ahead of Abu Dhabi. Secondly,I doubt that it will make any difference to the event although there may be the possibility that it'll be too damp or cold for the tyres.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 15:53 (Ref:3338645)   #3
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It could have a lotsa lights turned on during the race,but I'm not sure about the practice and the qualifying.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 21:16 (Ref:3338741)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The WEC Race ran with less than 50% of the lighting o, so that the drivers still had to use their headlights.

With the lights on Full I think it'll look very much like the Qatar MotoGP, great on the helicopter shots showing the Oasis of light - excuse the pun.

But when it comes down to actual racing and race cameras I doubt it'll make a huge difference.
Old 1 Dec 2013, 05:32 (Ref:3338817)   #5
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't understand the point of this change. The daytime Bahrain GP looks just fine as is on TV. What's the reason?
Old 1 Dec 2013, 15:02 (Ref:3338902)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would think a better tv time slot for the western audience.
Old 1 Dec 2013, 16:16 (Ref:3338924)   #7
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better for fans at the event too as it should be considerably cooler compared to the daytime slot.
Old 1 Dec 2013, 16:20 (Ref:3338925)   #8
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Think it's just to celebrate 10 years since the first Bahrain GP. That's what they're saying.

Despite the lights only being on at 50%, the WEC drivers said you could drive the track without headlights on.

Not sure if I liked it with the sportscars. Floodlights are unnecessary. But it might look quite cool for the F1 race.
Old 1 Dec 2013, 17:24 (Ref:3338948)   #9
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
I don't understand the point of this change. The daytime Bahrain GP looks just fine as is on TV. What's the reason?
Its so the empty grandstands won't be seen on TV.
Old 1 Dec 2013, 17:34 (Ref:3338951)   #10
cerdic
Rookie

cerdic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gawd, not another one. I really don't get the 'spectacle' that night races are supposed to be. They always look cold, hard, garish and glare-y to me!
Old 1 Dec 2013, 17:52 (Ref:3338956)   #11
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
It's a good job that F1 doesn't care about PR because if the sport wasn't already seen as greedy, elitist, out of touch and frankly bad for the environment already, making yet another venue floodlight the circuit so that the race is a better time for TV viewers in Europe is the final insult!

Particularly as FOM has little interest in the races in Europe and can't wait to replace them with ever more far flung venues.
Old 1 Dec 2013, 21:09 (Ref:3339016)   #12
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's nothing to do with viewers in Europe, I'm sure. The race only starts an hour earlier than usual for the European viewers. That's not a problem.
Old 8 Dec 2013, 11:38 (Ref:3341563)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
It's nothing to do with viewers in Europe, I'm sure. The race only starts an hour earlier than usual for the European viewers. That's not a problem.
Sounds like a bit of a gimmick, in order to spice up a rather dull race.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 10:45 (Ref:3341909)   #14
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
People like to forget that funnily enough despite being in one of the dullest locations possible the Bahrain Grand Prix layout puts on some of the best racing and non-DRS overtaking in F1.