Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 12 Mar 2008, 14:05 (Ref:2149989)   #1
Platinum
Rookie

Platinum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Kid on the Block

Hi gents,

First of all - great and useful section of 10Ts that has given me some useful information and some good reading (and viewing of some superb photos).

My question (and I know it's not the first) comes in regards to accreditation, or obtaining a 'vest' or 'pass' on a race-by-race basis. I've been asked by a couple of club level series, including Formula Jedi, to take some photos for personal and website use for the drivers in the series (no money involved).

The series co-ordinator I'm sure could lend me some weight as I've already taken some personal use pictures of closed test days, but my question is mainly focused at who do I need to be talking to about getting a pass/vest for specific club events? The first is at Snetterton at the end of this month, but do I talk to the circuit or MSV? In advance or on the day?

My intention is only to cover club level series and as such, I do not want a pass or accreditation for major events like BTCC/GT/F3. I also figured that if I can start at club level, my work *may* and only may be picked up on by someone who wants something more mainstream - therefore giving me a portfolio of work and a media group to assist in getting accredited for bigger events.

Any advice on the 'process' or who I need to talk to, would be greatly appreciated. Keep on snapping!

Old 12 Mar 2008, 16:46 (Ref:2150107)   #2
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK.. There are probably a few on here who are more current that I am on UK stuff, but if you are shooting for a series then I can't see why the organiser(s) of that series cannot sort out your accreditation for you.. Even if it's just on a race-by-race basis..

Make sure your accreditation has you covered on the event third party liability insurance (or else you'll need to buy some)..
Old 12 Mar 2008, 16:47 (Ref:2150108)   #3
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ps.. on closed test days, you definitely ought to have had 3rd party insurance... even if just for peace of mind..
Old 12 Mar 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2150257)   #4
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You need to apply through MSV for the pass before the Monday prior to the event. Contact MSV for the form you will need to complete. You'll need evidence of published work, and proof of Public Liability Insurance (£5M for MSV circuits)

You could try getting the series organiser to supply a letter of reference, but my guess is you'll need them to pull some strings at MSV too

Phil
Old 12 Mar 2008, 21:42 (Ref:2150327)   #5
Platinum
Rookie

Platinum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers Phil - I had a good friend call me tonight who also said that for the effort of getting accredited, it may be worth just sticking to spectator areas at club level motorsports, as some good photos can still be taken from such areas, and I've got the equipment to do a decent job for personal usage.

He also mentioned the insurance requirements, and so I'm thinking for the time being, I'll see if I can a few pieces of work published so I've got a bigger portfolio before worrying too much about being on the 'other side of the fence'.

It's not my living (as 80% of my time is filming / photography for aviation) so I don't think there's any need to rush like everyone to get in the way of folks who make their living from motorsport photography.

Appreciate the info though - as a few photographers I've spoken to have often had conflicting messages or have been unwilling to assist in helping a new guy out.

Matt.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 11:47 (Ref:2151656)   #6
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum
(no money involved).
I wouldn't shout about that too much though
Old 14 Mar 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2151658)   #7
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't some circuits now insist on £2million public liability insurance also?
I have to have that just for some minor horsey events
Old 14 Mar 2008, 18:43 (Ref:2151843)   #8
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey.....a voice from the past......how are things Paul?
Old 14 Mar 2008, 21:25 (Ref:2151959)   #9
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, insurance- help?

What's the beef?
Old 14 Mar 2008, 22:23 (Ref:2152005)   #10
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
Yes, insurance- help?

What's the beef?
The promotors/circuits have to have PLI for any public event - that's a legal requirement - but I believe this doesn't extend to test days/track days etc where there are not likely to be spectators, so you need to have your own. In addition, the circuits want media working in sensitive areas to have their own PLI, so that if they cause an incident, the person(s) affected can claim off the individual, and not off the circuits, so in that way it will not affect their status/costs. Seems only fair really - why should the circuit be penalised for the actions of an individual?
Old 15 Mar 2008, 00:16 (Ref:2152073)   #11
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have £5 million worth of PLI, mainly to satisfy MSV, but it has been asked for at other circuits.
Old 15 Mar 2008, 00:19 (Ref:2152078)   #12
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
OK, real basics here. PLI is... what? and how much is it? and what can you recommend?
Old 15 Mar 2008, 00:28 (Ref:2152083)   #13
Kelvin
Veteran

here is a generalized definition quickly found via google

"The insurance of liability for accidental bodily injury or damage to the property of third parties. Public liability insurance is designed to cover businesses (or individuals) so that if a member of the public sues them as they feel they have suffered a loss then they will be insured"

I cant think of any know incidents where a photgraphers action has caused an accident and or injury, but if your the first it could cost you a lot of money!

I purchased my insurance online, firstly for my camera gear, + optonal PLI.

Last edited by Kelvin; 15 Mar 2008 at 00:30.
Old 15 Mar 2008, 00:43 (Ref:2152093)   #14
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Ok, thanks Kelvin.

Rough cost ideas?
Old 15 Mar 2008, 06:57 (Ref:2152233)   #15
Kelvin
Veteran

I think my premuim is a couple of hundred pounds a year.
Old 15 Mar 2008, 14:50 (Ref:2152543)   #16
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, when I had to provide my own it was about that, with some equipment cover thrown in.

Best to have it, just so appear professional.
Old 15 Mar 2008, 16:11 (Ref:2152610)   #17
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Mine was £176 last time around, including some kit insurance
Old 18 Mar 2008, 01:21 (Ref:2155251)   #18
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Ouch. Poor student, big cash. But I better shell out.

Who do we recommend to go with?