Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 May 2009, 16:38 (Ref:2461033)   #1
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferrari LMP1 ?

Due to the recent measure of the FIA on the budget ceiling, Ferrari ponders leaving the F1. So did we will have a LMP 1 on track for 2011?
Old 12 May 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2461034)   #2
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope not, keep there petulant moaning away from Sportscars please.
Old 12 May 2009, 16:43 (Ref:2461040)   #3
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No, but possibly Maserati.
Old 12 May 2009, 16:52 (Ref:2461048)   #4
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with you, I see a Maserati in faster than the Ferrari, on LMP1. But one thing is certain if they leave F1 Ferrari has to appear somewhere, where is it?
Old 12 May 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2461049)   #5
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I am sure it is just posturing, but as I said in the Lola thread it would be nice if the big teams told Max and Bernie where to stick it and moved over to sportscars!
Old 12 May 2009, 17:29 (Ref:2461070)   #6
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
I agree with you, I see a Maserati in faster than the Ferrari, on LMP1. But one thing is certain if they leave F1 Ferrari has to appear somewhere, where is it?
I could see a semi-works team, with a Ferrari powerplant and a LMP built bu Dallara or something like that (hehehehe... how about luchinni? LOL), but for a FIAT full programe, i would bet on alfa romeo.

Personaly, i think that Ferrari would go to the future GT World Championship, but, continuing in F1.
Old 12 May 2009, 17:48 (Ref:2461091)   #7
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
World Grand Prix championship or something like that. If there's a massive walkout of manufacturers as has been suggested, IMO their most likely destination is a breakaway open-wheel series, not sportscars.
Old 12 May 2009, 17:58 (Ref:2461102)   #8
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
in the back of a Riley DP! But I think Grand-Am has their max # of engine manufacturers already......
Old 12 May 2009, 18:06 (Ref:2461112)   #9
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
Hope not, keep there petulant moaning away from Sportscars please.
Why? We already get the rules changed to please Audi and Aston Martin, amongst others.
Old 12 May 2009, 18:06 (Ref:2461113)   #10
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
in the back of a Riley DP! But I think Grand-Am has their max # of engine manufacturers already......
I don't think there is a maximum number as far as the engines go.

As for the topic at hand: Apart from that one weekend in June sportscar racing is not even a blip on the radar as far as prestige and mainstream awareness go. So I really can't see Le Mans as a substitute for Ferrari's F1 programme.
Old 12 May 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2461145)   #11
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post

As for the topic at hand: Apart from that one weekend in June sportscar racing is not even a blip on the radar as far as prestige and mainstream awareness go. So I really can't see Le Mans as a substitute for Ferrari's F1 programme.
I don't believe at all that Ferrari is actually considering leaving F1, just posturing...

But having said that, wouldn't you think that a full factory Ferrari entry in a sportscar series, with perhaps one Mssr. Schumacher would do a great deal in increase the mainstream awareness?
Old 12 May 2009, 19:36 (Ref:2461164)   #12
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post

Hmm, as much as I dislike Ferrari's politicin', I think a move to LM Prototype Sports Cars could benefit the sport. I also believe that if Ferrari moved over (entirely) they would bring with them their tifosi and an instant awareness of the Sport and, to some extent, a certain amount of prestige to/for the un-initiated. I think it would be a winning aquisition for Sports Car racing. But I highly doubt it will happen!

L.P.
Old 12 May 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2461175)   #13
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I cant see them walking at all ..... its just a threat , and a strong one at that . But Le Mans is still unfinished business for Toyota .
Old 12 May 2009, 20:26 (Ref:2461201)   #14
AX lover
Racer

Netherlands
AX lover should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They talk the talk, but don't walk the walk...
It will be impossible for them to transform a multimillion F1 team into another kind of racing thing in such a short period of time. There are just too many existing contracts with sponsors etc. And what about all the personel?
Old 12 May 2009, 20:35 (Ref:2461205)   #15
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If Ferrari enter sportscars and ditch Formula One, they immediately boost LM's profile and reduce F1's. In doing so, more attraction will be drawn to sportscars, and more manufacturers will be interested - the incentives for Audi and Peugeot to beat a prestigious, sporty brand like Ferrari would be huge.

Possibly, we could create something similar to Group C.

These rumours do have something behind them; we all know Motezemolo is starting the 24 hours, and it's very interesting that Stefano Demenocali is there too.

Hmmmmmmm.
Old 12 May 2009, 20:51 (Ref:2461216)   #16
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The current format of sportscar racing is neither viewer- nor TV-friendly. If Ferrari were to go there as their new main racing programme, it would probably mean a format closer to Can-Am or what F1 is now than the current 4 class endurance races. So we would probably end up with 90 minute single class racing, at least apart from Le Mans. Probably as a paralell series to the LMS, rather than a transformation of it.
The more manufacturers, the bigger the pressure towards more marketable formats, remember the switch to the 480km distances at the end of the 80s.
Old 12 May 2009, 22:07 (Ref:2461274)   #17
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75164

Maybe a bit ouf of context but "In recent months, the Japanese manufacturer has been linked with a return to Le Mans", interesting that Autosport still mentioned this.
Old 12 May 2009, 22:13 (Ref:2461277)   #18
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOSPORT
In recent months, the Japanese manufacturer has been linked with a return to Le Mans – having last raced there in 1999. The company is believed to feel it has unfinished business at the French classic, having failed to win with its GT-One car.
Coincidentally, Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo is to be the official starter at this year's Le Mans race amid suggestions he too could be seeing sportscars as the future for his team's racing programme.
We're not clutching at straws!
Old 12 May 2009, 22:14 (Ref:2461279)   #19
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
These rumours do have something behind them; we all know Motezemolo is starting the 24 hours, and it's very interesting that Stefano Demenocali is there too.
It was probably decided long time ago, since there are actually Ferraris on the gird too, but the timing of the announcement at the same time with the WMSC decisions two weeks ago was probably not coincidental.
Old 13 May 2009, 00:21 (Ref:2461345)   #20
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I cant see Ferrari leaving F1, I can see them definitely continuing in GT2, there all in probability be a replacement for the 430 GTC, Guiseppe Risi has said this will be the last year of the 430. As for prototype racing, as much as I would love for it to happen I cant see it happening unless a very wealthy gentleman comes to Ferrari with a big bag of money then it will happen just like the 333 project.

Maserati+Vitaphone+LMP?= its just a thought.
Old 13 May 2009, 06:16 (Ref:2461409)   #21
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 2011 LMP2 rules, which I think are a fantastic idea BTW, will be pushing for GT2 engines in prototype chassis. So I'd say its pretty likely that we will see a Ferrari in P2 at least, with or without factory support.
Old 13 May 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2461490)   #22
Petrol Head
Rookie

England
North London
Petrol Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would not be surprised if Ferrari starting talking about a full on assault on Le Mans, but the cynic in me suggests this would just be a sort of blackmail towards the FIA to make them realise they are serious about leaving F1. Think they did a similar thing with IndyCar once??

Anyway, hope i'm wrong as it would be mega to see them in P1 - its about time Schumi did some racing again ;-)
Old 13 May 2009, 19:13 (Ref:2461893)   #23
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I'd love to see a Ferrari back in top flight GTs, but please, NOT in LMP? All we'd have is court room wrangling. It's getting bad enough with Spa, thanks...
Old 13 May 2009, 20:14 (Ref:2461942)   #24
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
I would not be surprised if Ferrari starting talking about a full on assault on Le Mans, but the cynic in me suggests this would just be a sort of blackmail towards the FIA to make them realise they are serious about leaving F1.
If Blackmail is what it takes to get Ferrari in LMP1 then I'm all for it!

I think it'll be great if they come to prototype racing and with the long rumoured Porsche LMP1 probably appearing as well, then we can roll back the years to the 1970's!
Old 13 May 2009, 21:22 (Ref:2461997)   #25
deggis
Veteran

Finland
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75288