Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 10 Dec 2010, 20:38 (Ref:2802672)   #501
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
@Acid09: thanks for that comment, we can also count on our diehard Audi basher...
So you think this is a good looking car? You got to be kidding me...

The fin isn't the biggest problem in my book, it's the overal DPish look and the less than sleek nose. It might be quick, we have to see, but it is butt ugly. And that has nothing to do with me not liking Audi too much, I still think the R8 is one of the most beautiful LMPs ever built.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 20:40 (Ref:2802673)   #502
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I thought the R15+ was the most hideous thing Audi ever designed but I stand corrected...yikes!

Looks like the 908/X's ugly sister..
Ah yes, the 908/X is such a thing of beauty...oh wait, what car are you looking at? I agree with you about the R8, fwiw. They don't make them like they used to.

The fin makes all things that bear it look silly. This car does look like a platypus...like a sith lord platypus from the evil empire at Ingolstadt. I can hear Dr Ulrich now: "come my little egg-laying aquatic mammal, you have controlled your fear (and won Le Mans). Now, release your anger!"
Old 10 Dec 2010, 20:42 (Ref:2802678)   #503
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359 View Post
OK, so here's a question. The rear fenders, there is a large extension in front of it where the turbo intake would usually be, but instead it's just closed bodywork. What would be housed in there?

Nothing. It's aero driven.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 20:44 (Ref:2802679)   #504
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Neat detail with the rear wing mount being singular and the load actually going through the endplates.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2802680)   #505
fiend540
Racer

United States
East Aurora NY
fiend540 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
So you think this is a good looking car? You got to be kidding me...

The fin isn't the biggest problem in my book, it's the overal DPish look and the less than sleek nose. It might be quick, we have to see, but it is butt ugly. And that has nothing to do with me not liking Audi too much, I still think the R8 is one of the most beautiful LMPs ever built.

I don't think it's a bad looking car, certainly not the best but it's not ugly nor do I think it looks much like DP other than the wind screen angle. I see it a design that looks this way mostly because of the current rule package, and I am willing to bet the new Pug will be similarly less attractive than previous cars for this same reason. This is the first car really designed around the fin as opposed to slapping one on an existing car, we will see how much it dictates the design of the Aston and the Pug soon I hope.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 20:50 (Ref:2802681)   #506
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359 View Post
OK, so here's a question. The rear fenders, there is a large extension in front of it where the turbo intake would usually be, but instead it's just closed bodywork. What would be housed in there?
I would guess it's aerodynamic: air flowing over (instead of on the sides) a shape accelerates creating low pressure and thus lift. That's always been one of the main factors affecting front fender design on sportscars. That was the thinking behind the Lister LMP's front fender shape, or behind blunt rear fenders like those on the Pescarolo or ARX-01. And I'm sure I've seen rear fenders like those of the Audi before on a drawing.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 21:08 (Ref:2802687)   #507
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I just say, I rather like it.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 21:12 (Ref:2802689)   #508
Tom87
Racer

England
Tom87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well seeing as we have precious little technical data to discuss... I think it's the ultimate expression of function over form! Not what you would call pretty by any means, but incredibly purposeful.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 21:16 (Ref:2802692)   #509
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
holy carp- (avoiding sensor maybe)
that looks the business- and if Audi can hangit together like the R10-r12-r15 whatever then this thing is going to be awesome
the front wheel pontoons/covers seem plain massive though
i would think the r15+ would be the base with a bubble canopy, and a tail fin - but this is a whole new piece of kit.
3.7Lv6 - that's a change...i wonder iwth so much pug carried over to the latest challenger if it will indeed up for the challenge of the Audi.
i know the rules say a 2 seat cock pit, but that is pushing the realm of the 2nd seat by a long way...
did all of you see the autoblog article...http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/10/a...oof-epic-leds/
Old 10 Dec 2010, 21:17 (Ref:2802693)   #510
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Looks nothing like a DP, see the relative size of it compared to the person from Audi in one of the pictures. The cabin is almost as low as the front fenders. that's why the mirrors are outboard. DP's don't look like that at all. If you think they do you need your eyes checked. This isn't a 'beauty contest', it's a 'win LeMans contest' and it looks like Audi has something going here, interesting to see how low the rear wing is and the end plates go so high up, is that new in the regs?
Old 10 Dec 2010, 21:18 (Ref:2802694)   #511
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting that the rear wing sticks out past the bodywork.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 21:23 (Ref:2802699)   #512
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Interesting that the rear wing sticks out past the bodywork.
That is also the case with the R15+.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 21:26 (Ref:2802702)   #513
Laurent
Rookie

France
20 km away from Paris (France)
Laurent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R18-R15 comparison...
Old 10 Dec 2010, 21:34 (Ref:2802703)   #514
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
Thanks a lot. Amazing how low the rear wing is mounted compared to the R15+:
http://www.86400.fr/images/stories/T...udi_R18_01.jpg
Old 10 Dec 2010, 21:38 (Ref:2802705)   #515
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm starting to think that the R18 has gotten too complex!?
The R8 was genius because of the simplicity just to the bone fast (good engine and so on).
The R10 was also a genius car, but because of the complex Diesel it had some problems, and disadvantages.
The R15 was a mess. Way too complex.
The R15+ was the R15 just more simple aerodynamics.
With the R18 it seems that Audi has gone to the complex again, and I'm afraid it's not fast enough for Le Mans.

Too add to this point, the Peugeot 908 was a very simple car when it came to aerodynamics. The 908 worked perfectly except the more complex parts of the engine and suspension.

If Peugeot keep the simple style, we are going to have a very interesting Le Mans with two different philosophies.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 21:44 (Ref:2802709)   #516
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I'm starting to think that the R18 has gotten too complex!?
I don't agree with that observation. The aero of the R18 is very sophisticated: all the body parts are extremely low (partially thanks to the exhaust in the middle of the engine) and the car looks extremely slippery. I think that design philosophy is justified because the aero has to compensate for the power reduction.

BTW I just read that the R18 has a 6 speed gearbox.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 21:49 (Ref:2802710)   #517
fiend540
Racer

United States
East Aurora NY
fiend540 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL at judging the speed of this car based off of the initial release pics. The more I look at the car the more I start to like it, the only part that blows is the fin and that will be the eyesore on every car this year. That front end is just mean looking, without being wierd like the original r15!
Old 10 Dec 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2802711)   #518
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
Surely the "secret" they are keeping till june is an f-duct with that fin placement.
Nope - think hybrid.
From the release:
The Audi R18 has been designed for progressive electrification, which Audi Sport is planning to drive forward step by step. "But efficiency is always the crucial factor for us,” says Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich. "No matter which form of energy recovery we may choose the key aspect for Audi – in motorsport as well as on the production side of the house – is that it provides a true advantage.”
Old 10 Dec 2010, 21:52 (Ref:2802712)   #519
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
I don't agree with that observation. The aero of the R18 is very sophisticated: all the body parts are extremely low (partially thanks to the exhaust in the middle of the engine) and the car looks extremely slippery. I think that design philosophy is justified because the aero has to compensate for the power reduction.

BTW I just read that the R18 has a 6 speed gearbox.
Complex/sophisticated... Same/Same in this case?
My point is that a lot of aerodynamic parts hasn't been very successful at Le Mans ever.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 21:57 (Ref:2802717)   #520
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at this photo (http://www.86400.fr/images/stories/T...udi_R18_01.jpg), the driver in the R18 sits on the right hand side.

That's a first on an Audi prototype.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 22:04 (Ref:2802725)   #521
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Wasn't it always left hand drive? Now it's right hand drive, maybe the switch is thanks to the roof? But why? I think the aero looks rather simple. The fact that the rear of the car is pretty darn low is a good thing. Look at it from behind and tell me you don't see Toyota GT-One AKA TS020! I think so at least, I also think they should keep the car black, or the all carbon fiber finish it's in. Noticed also that the front wing or nose is lower than it was on the R15. I think the whole car looks lower, and at least the fin is incorporated into the body, it's nicely done in my eyes.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 22:16 (Ref:2802732)   #522
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thinking of the great looking R8, R10 and R15 racing machines, perhaps it's just me but yet I'm a little bit disappointed, the stylish design is gone and the new one is looking more like a chunky bulldog... and the ugly fin finishes me off...

Old 10 Dec 2010, 22:24 (Ref:2802740)   #523
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real DMN View Post
Can I just say, I rather like it.
I'm with you, depending on what livery it turns up with, first time out. The black certainly makes it look mean, and helps disguise that fin, although all of those release shots are with the car having that gloomy background.
After all is said and done, results on the track are what matters, and I think that Audi will have taken what they have learned from the shortcomings of the R15, and come up with a winner with the R18. It's a shame that the car won't be at Sebring,
Old 10 Dec 2010, 22:29 (Ref:2802742)   #524
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Only thing I don't like is that the cockpit's windshield looks like a bubble. And it seems that Audi have decided that the R18 should be RHD, the first for an Audi LMP, not counting the Bentley GTPs. It seems to have all kinds of R15 and R8-esque ideas. However, the R8 ideals (compact engine, more even weight distribution, etc) are mostly under the skin.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 22:46 (Ref:2802745)   #525
yamato
Racer

yamato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Only thing I don't like is that the cockpit's windshield looks like a bubble. And it seems that Audi have decided that the R18 should be RHD, the first for an Audi LMP, not counting the Bentley GTPs. It seems to have all kinds of R15 and R8-esque ideas. However, the R8 ideals (compact engine, more even weight distribution, etc) are mostly under the skin.
My guess is that there is an advantage to having RHD at LM for driver changes. I can't quite figure it, but I'm sure that it is there.