Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 12 Apr 2011, 17:22 (Ref:2862501)   #1
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ALMS Round 2: The Grand Prix of Long Beach

Well the race is only 4 days away so I thought I would start a race thread. Race will be live streamed, and (nearly) replayed on ESPN2 the next day.

The entries in the LMP ranks are a bit thin, but the walls of Long Beach usually create some good action.

Schedule

Entry List

Timing & Scoring

Live Video ALMS

Live Video ESPN3
Old 12 Apr 2011, 17:47 (Ref:2862516)   #2
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gotta love the scheduling again, 7AM start for practice - "clean up the streets for Indy boys!"

Despite the somewhat lacking entry list, Long Beach has always been one of the season's highlights for me. Being the only real sprint race in the ACO family makes it a bit special as well - even though the schedule (and calendar) seems to claim that the race distance has been extended from 1h40min to 2 hours.

Now, I SERIOUSLY hope mr. Atherton has stopped his PR-march and listened the fans for a second - the quality of international stream must improve. I don't think I can stand another night of freeze & scream!!

Should probably check if the old proxy for ESPN3 still works.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 18:07 (Ref:2862527)   #3
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
Danny_GT2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How come the 2 LMP classes have been separated again?? Would be better to have a unified LMP class especially with only 4 LMP's in total, 2 in each class!
Old 12 Apr 2011, 18:50 (Ref:2862548)   #4
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_GT2 View Post
How come the 2 LMP classes have been separated again?? Would be better to have a unified LMP class especially with only 4 LMP's in total, 2 in each class!
The ALMS decided to follow the ACO regs more closely for this season. Don't squander too much time trying to figure out management decisions made by IMSA/ALMS, it will give you headaches!
Old 12 Apr 2011, 19:00 (Ref:2862557)   #5
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
Danny_GT2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The ALMS decided to follow the ACO regs more closely for this season. Don't squander too much time trying to figure out management decisions made by IMSA/ALMS, it will give you headaches!
Too late now I need some asprin !
Old 12 Apr 2011, 22:47 (Ref:2862669)   #6
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In real terms they haven't been split - 2010 LMP2 spec cars run in LMP1 (see Dyson), but 2011 spec LMP2 cars are a different beast & in the same performance bracket as Prototype challenge.

You could argue that P2 & challenge should be merged, but as there is only 1 team in P2 then it doesn't really matter.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 00:34 (Ref:2862701)   #7
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
"Somehwat lacking entry list" .... that's a very nice way of putting it. Having not enough cars for a proper podium in the two lead classes is nothing short of shameful.. if it wasn't for the GT class we could already stick a fork into the ALMS...
Old 13 Apr 2011, 01:40 (Ref:2862713)   #8
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
LMP is pathetic, without LMPC is would be even worse. Such a shame though, as much as I love the GT war at the moment, we really need some healthy numbers in LMP1 and LMP2 to even things out.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 14:20 (Ref:2862902)   #9
vancecooley
Rookie

United States
United States
vancecooley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
LMP is pathetic, without LMPC is would be even worse. Such a shame though, as much as I love the GT war at the moment, we really need some healthy numbers in LMP1 and LMP2 to even things out.
Agreed. Again, I don't understand why they went with ACO regs this year instead of combining the classes like last year. That Aston Martin/HPD duel was pretty remarkable last year. The AM would drive away down that long front straight but would have the Highcroft guys on it's tail before the lap was halfway done. Great balancing and it makes no sense not to put the two classes together again. I expect an AM rout this weekend.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 14:33 (Ref:2862906)   #10
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If nothing else, at least we can enjoy the scream of V12 Lola Aston on the echoing streets again. One of the last opportunities for that I'm afraid.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 18:57 (Ref:2862995)   #11
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!

The ALMS Spotter Guide for Long Beach is now available to download at www.spotterguides. In addition to the number changes across the board, I have added lots of new helmets (thanks to ALMS) and also new liveries for Dyson and Magnus Racing.

With a smaller field than Long Beach and one that does not work so well in the grid, we have some space this round to expand information to include circuit diagram, fastest lap and ALMS timetable.

Thanks for everyone who downloaded the Sebring Spotter Guide, well into five figures. Thanks!

You can download the guide at www.spotterguides.com
Old 13 Apr 2011, 23:49 (Ref:2863092)   #12
lolaaston
Rookie

New Zealand
Te Anau
lolaaston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least we still get to hear the sound of the cytosport Lola Aston!!!!!!
Old 14 Apr 2011, 13:39 (Ref:2863276)   #13
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
This is a condensed weekend with the only practice session before qualifying starting in a little over 24 hours. And on that note I would like to remind everybody that there is still time to enter the Fantasy Racing Challenge for this round
Old 14 Apr 2011, 14:54 (Ref:2863308)   #14
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Unfortunately, I'm getting a "Server Not Found" message whenever I click on that first link, and the second link goes to the GT1 Spotter's Guide.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 15:18 (Ref:2863314)   #15
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Unfortunately, I'm getting a "Server Not Found" message whenever I click on that first link, and the second link goes to the GT1 Spotter's Guide.
If you go to www.spotterguides.com and scroll down you can see the ALMS guide for Long Beach.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 15:32 (Ref:2863324)   #16
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
This is a condensed weekend with the only practice session before qualifying starting in a little over 24 hours. And on that note I would like to remind everybody that there is still time to enter the Fantasy Racing Challenge for this round

Thanks for the reminder, just submitted
Old 14 Apr 2011, 17:47 (Ref:2863378)   #17
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Thanks, Joeb.

BTW, do we have anything firm on the race duration, given that it's been 100min in the past, but is listed as 2hrs on the ALMS site?
Old 14 Apr 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2863381)   #18
Deleted
Veteran

Yes, the duration has been extended to two hours.

2011: 4:30 - 6:30 p.m. TEQUILA PATRÓN AMERICAN LE MANS SERIES RACE (120 minutes)
2010: 4:40 p.m. - 6:20 p.m. TEQUILA PATRÓN AMERICAN LE MANS SERIES RACE (100 minutes)
Old 14 Apr 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2863389)   #19
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
I do find it somewhat sad that the series finally gets a longer race time, and a dismal field for the show
Old 14 Apr 2011, 19:06 (Ref:2863400)   #20
Porsche917K
Racer

United States
Napa, CA
Porsche917K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the only race within my reach to actually go see, and the field has definitely made me rethink missing work to go. Last year was great fun and that Aston is almost worth going to see on it's sound alone. Stupid grid.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 19:39 (Ref:2863421)   #21
pdxracefan
Racer

United States
Oregon
pdxracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For us unfortunate souls whose ISP does not support ESPN3, anyone know of an alternative proxy?
Old 14 Apr 2011, 19:50 (Ref:2863425)   #22
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
^^^
Check your PM's.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 21:47 (Ref:2863478)   #23
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Regardless of the lack luster LMP classes, I am looking forward to seeing the race and the GT battle on the streets of LB. What a venue!

Any changes to the circuit or business as usual?
Old 15 Apr 2011, 08:18 (Ref:2863605)   #24
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have I got my sums right and the race starts at 00:15 in the UK?

(ALMS website says 7.15pm EDT)
Old 15 Apr 2011, 09:23 (Ref:2863631)   #25
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Have I got my sums right and the race starts at 00:15 in the UK?

(ALMS website says 7.15pm EDT)
Damn I'd clearly got my sums wrong. Can't say I'll be staying up for it with work on Sunday. Shame the Motors TV deal didn't come through in time as I could have just sky+d it.