Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Apr 2012, 12:20 (Ref:3053408)   #51
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Prinz Leopold Von Bayern wasnt too shabby either .

The Earl of Dumfries was a bloody quick driver .....
Old 7 Apr 2012, 09:26 (Ref:3054740)   #52
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So as discussed elsewhere we have more adjustments for Long Beach:

Porsche 911 GT3 RSR -> Weight -20kg
= 1200kg (now -45kg from GTE base weight)

Corvette C6.R -> Fuel flow restrictor +6mm
= 38mm (now +6 from GTE base fuel restrictor (E85))

P2 Lola B11 -> Weight -20kg
= 900kg (now same as everyone else)

The Lola adjustment is justified IMHO but the other two are mind boggling once again. I'm a Corvette fan of course but they've been getting so many unnecessary breaks as of late that it's getting a bit ridiculous. They already got a bigger fuel flow restrictor last fall, and on top of that during the winter break they gained another 0,4mm to their already generous air restirctor.

As for Porsche... it's disappointing, they're now easily the lightest car of the top contenders (apart from Aston but that car is sort of a joke alltogether in terms of BoP). They got break last year too and were running at 1220kg (or was it 1225kg) at Long Beach and were somewhat easily on top of the time sheets
Old 7 Apr 2012, 17:16 (Ref:3054939)   #53
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i couldnt agree more, those gt adjustments make no sense. I wonder why they were made? Were porsche and gm lobbying for the changes? It certainly is a head scratcher for me.

Also noticed the Nissan p2 engine wasnt mentioned so i guess it will use the standard aco restrictor.
Old 8 Apr 2012, 03:28 (Ref:3055149)   #54
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
So as discussed elsewhere we have more adjustments for Long Beach:

Porsche 911 GT3 RSR -> Weight -20kg
= 1200kg (now -45kg from GTE base weight)

P2 Lola B11 -> Weight -20kg
= 900kg (now same as everyone else)

The Lola adjustment is justified IMHO but the other two are mind boggling once again. I'm a Corvette fan of course but they've been getting so many unnecessary breaks as of late that it's getting a bit ridiculous. They already got a bigger fuel flow restrictor last fall, and on top of that during the winter break they gained another 0,4mm to their already generous air restirctor.

As for Porsche... it's disappointing, they're now easily the lightest car of the top contenders (apart from Aston but that car is sort of a joke alltogether in terms of BoP). They got break last year too and were running at 1220kg (or was it 1225kg) at Long Beach and were somewhat easily on top of the time sheets
I don't know what races you have been watching. but the current 911 RSR is way off the pace.
Old 8 Apr 2012, 04:19 (Ref:3055158)   #55
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some would argue that it is off the pace because Porsche didn't build a very good car, and that the teams have yet to figure out how to make the new wide-track, higher-front-grip Porsche work.

Waivers aren't going to help much, methinks, as the car isn't down on top speed, it simply can't get through the corners.
Old 8 Apr 2012, 04:24 (Ref:3055159)   #56
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I think it's safe to say that on pure pace, the Ferrari 458 leads the GT2 pecking order. I wouldn't be too surprised if the other runners in the class get some help as things go on.
Old 8 Apr 2012, 05:31 (Ref:3055164)   #57
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Some would argue that it is off the pace because Porsche didn't build a very good car, and that the teams have yet to figure out how to make the new wide-track, higher-front-grip Porsche work.

Waivers aren't going to help much, methinks, as the car isn't down on top speed, it simply can't get through the corners.
Waivers and BOP adjustments are different animals.

Chris
Old 8 Apr 2012, 06:26 (Ref:3055170)   #58
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there one location with all the waivers for the 2012 homologated cars? A quick Google search comes up with nothing.

When did IMSA start using BoP for GT2/E? Has it existed in that class since the inception of the championship?
Old 8 Apr 2012, 07:53 (Ref:3055194)   #59
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

Agreed that the BoP is not going to make much difference.
As for top speed: I cant argue as I have not seen the figures.
Having said all that, whether you agree with the waivers or not, saying that the 911RSR was /is competitive, is just false. It was almost 2 seconds off the pace at Sebring.
Old 8 Apr 2012, 08:23 (Ref:3055208)   #60
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!

And a rear wing mod along with other brakes for a pretty modern GT car . Possibily the rules are biased towards Corvette ?
Old 8 Apr 2012, 11:30 (Ref:3055291)   #61
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
And a rear wing mod along with other brakes for a pretty modern GT car . Possibily the rules are biased towards Corvette ?
Surely not?
Old 8 Apr 2012, 12:20 (Ref:3055315)   #62
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
Is there one location with all the waivers for the 2012 homologated cars? A quick Google search comes up with nothing.

When did IMSA start using BoP for GT2/E? Has it existed in that class since the inception of the championship?
Imsa began this season with the aco rulebook. Any adjustments that were made can be found at imsaracing.net. usually they are pdf documents listed under the competition bulletin section

Edit: The link for what I mentioned above is HERE.

Last edited by joeb; 8 Apr 2012 at 17:29. Reason: adding link
Old 8 Apr 2012, 16:58 (Ref:3055407)   #63
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Imsa began this season with the aco rulebook. Any adjustments that were made can be found at imsaracing.net. usually they are pdf documents listed under the competition bulletin section
Thanks for that joeb, I was having a poke around that site but wasn't quite sure to look.
Old 8 Apr 2012, 17:24 (Ref:3055414)   #64
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rain predicted for Friday.
Old 8 Apr 2012, 17:42 (Ref:3055428)   #65
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:

I was just looking at the adjustments again, and that fuel flow restrictor adjustment is perplexing. I know races can be won or lost in the pits, but how much of a difference will this make? I honestly can't think of a single reason that fuel flow restrictors should be changed for anybody.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 04:06 (Ref:3055619)   #66
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just realised this race is this coming weekend! Awww yeaaaahhhhh
Old 9 Apr 2012, 04:37 (Ref:3055622)   #67
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Looking at Breitling's comment, am I correct in thinking that the main race(s) at Long Beach have never seen rain? That has to be quite a record if that's the case. I mean, I think NASCAR at Las Vegas, and definitely Phoenix, has seen rain delays. And Grand-Am at Miller saw at least one gully-washer while they were there.

I wonder if the fuel flow thing has something to do with what the system pressure parameters are on the Corvette's fuel injection.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 04:53 (Ref:3055625)   #68
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Murphy the Bear hinted that (possibly hinted, depending on one's translation choices) Corvette was kind of pi$$ed off about BMW fuelling faster last year, I think, which might be what we are seeing addressed here.

Or he might have been talking about something else entirely.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 05:18 (Ref:3055630)   #69
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Looking at Breitling's comment, am I correct in thinking that the main race(s) at Long Beach have never seen rain? That has to be quite a record if that's the case. I mean, I think NASCAR at Las Vegas, and definitely Phoenix, has seen rain delays. And Grand-Am at Miller saw at least one gully-washer while they were there.

I wonder if the fuel flow thing has something to do with what the system pressure parameters are on the Corvette's fuel injection.

IIRC, Champ Car is the only group that has raced in the rain, (scattered showers), but not ALMS. Could make for interesting P&Q sessions if it does.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 07:41 (Ref:3055666)   #70
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I was just looking at the adjustments again, and that fuel flow restrictor adjustment is perplexing. I know races can be won or lost in the pits, but how much of a difference will this make? I honestly can't think of a single reason that fuel flow restrictors should be changed for anybody.
Will these mods be carried to Le Mans , or just the ALMS ?
Old 9 Apr 2012, 07:47 (Ref:3055671)   #71
The Badger
Veteran

Whats the word on L5 ..... the teams should be close to setting up shop in LB , so the situation should become clear soon , if their there , or not .
Old 9 Apr 2012, 08:39 (Ref:3055694)   #72
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling24 View Post
IIRC, Champ Car is the only group that has raced in the rain, (scattered showers), but not ALMS. Could make for interesting P&Q sessions if it does.
Don't think so,
this is IMSA's doing, not ACO...ACO is quite stricter when it comes to BoP then IMSA
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 08:56 (Ref:3055699)   #73
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Whats the word on L5 ..... the teams should be close to setting up shop in LB , so the situation should become clear soon , if their there , or not .
According to http://twitter.com/#!/dsceditor/stat...99409093574656 a DSC reader reports that Level 5 workshops are open and the team are packing for Long Beach.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 08:59 (Ref:3055703)   #74
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
Don't think so,
this is IMSA's doing, not ACO...ACO is quite stricter when it comes to BoP then IMSA
True but only partially, last year for example
Old 9 Apr 2012, 14:41 (Ref:3055834)   #75
Breitling24
Veteran

Could be interesting finding a set-up, as no rain predicted for Saturday.