Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Apr 2012, 00:08 (Ref:3058672)   #101
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Qual stream http://www.alms.com/camera/television-broadcast
Old 14 Apr 2012, 00:39 (Ref:3058682)   #102
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung View Post
Looks like Henzler and his Falken tires set the fastest lap in practice. Somebody is going to praying for rain.
I would be interested in seeing Falken win overallon a rainy day ...
Old 14 Apr 2012, 00:42 (Ref:3058685)   #103
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What are they abandoning quali for? Why not run all classes and then set the grid by class, but according to their times?
Old 14 Apr 2012, 00:49 (Ref:3058686)   #104
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
What are they abandoning quali for? Why not run all classes and then set the grid by class, but according to their times?
Same reason they don't have a title sponsor or a good media package.... incompetence and lack of caring about fans.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 00:49 (Ref:3058687)   #105
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Wholeheartedly agree - genuinely don't see ALMS covering themselves in glory today.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 00:54 (Ref:3058689)   #106
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Wholeheartedly agree - genuinely don't see ALMS covering themselves in glory today.
On the broadcast they said it was abandoned because it was declared a dry session and they can't change it into a wet one halfway through. So they stopped it for bureaucratic reasons

...and someone on ESPN3 hasn't realized that their mic is still open
Old 14 Apr 2012, 02:42 (Ref:3058714)   #107
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
There isn't a good solution here.

If you do the time breakdown by class, the guys in the lower classes will harp on the FACT that they turned faster times, and demand to know why they're being put to the back anyway.

And it's not like the fans are going to get a better show. If they set things by class, the GT, LMPC, LMP2, and LMP1 runners don't really have a reason to go out and risk their cars and drivers in those conditions, because they'll be starting up front anyway. If you set things based on overall times, the guys still wouldn't have gone out, because it was getting wetter, so they were guaranteed to set slower times than the GTCs.

And if several of the cars incurred real damage by being told that they had to go out and qualify in those worsening conditions, that could reduce the grid and punish the fans on race day with a smaller field.

Also, with this many classes, I wouldn't want a hugely mixed up starting grid on a street circuit. I would probably be relatively okay with it, if it was just two classes, and they were both either GTs or both LMPs. With the speed differentials in play with the classes we have though, I just don't want that much potential for desperate divebomb maneuvers right off the bat, from LMP drivers who are determined to lose as little time as possible getting to the front.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 03:20 (Ref:3058728)   #108
fanta4
Racer

United States
AKA fanta
fanta4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the cancellation of qualifying, it looks Black Swan got a lucky break, as they wouldn't have made qualifying anyway.

What ****es me off is the shuffling of the GTC grid. It was an enjoyable qualifying, no way hampered by the weather. This shuffling completely diminishes the racing we got to see during their session.

I see the starting grid is still not set, so hopefully the ALMS will get their heads together and start the GTC field as they qualified.

Old 14 Apr 2012, 03:23 (Ref:3058729)   #109
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
There isn't a good solution here.

If you do the time breakdown by class, the guys in the lower classes will harp on the FACT that they turned faster times, and demand to know why they're being put to the back anyway.

And it's not like the fans are going to get a better show. If they set things by class, the GT, LMPC, LMP2, and LMP1 runners don't really have a reason to go out and risk their cars and drivers in those conditions, because they'll be starting up front anyway. If you set things based on overall times, the guys still wouldn't have gone out, because it was getting wetter, so they were guaranteed to set slower times than the GTCs.

And if several of the cars incurred real damage by being told that they had to go out and qualify in those worsening conditions, that could reduce the grid and punish the fans on race day with a smaller field.

Also, with this many classes, I wouldn't want a hugely mixed up starting grid on a street circuit. I would probably be relatively okay with it, if it was just two classes, and they were both either GTs or both LMPs. With the speed differentials in play with the classes we have though, I just don't want that much potential for desperate divebomb maneuvers right off the bat, from LMP drivers who are determined to lose as little time as possible getting to the front.
I actually did not have any problems with doing this way especially on a street circuit. We don't need to see anything torn up that will not be able to make the grid at Laguna. We should still have a really good race tomorrow and I am really looking forward to that.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 08:07 (Ref:3058786)   #110
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Glad I didn't try to stay up and watch qualifying!

Good luck to all the teams today. Talk about a voyage into the unknown.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 12:26 (Ref:3058911)   #111
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Provisional Grid
Old 14 Apr 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3058978)   #112
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung View Post
That's a kick in the groin for Valiante, Cumming and the rest of the #11 team, but not sure if there was another sensible thing to do for the starting grid as a whole. Guess they could've let GTC stand and put them behind everyone else, but whatever. At least they made it the same for everyone.

To the race itself; mostly green street circuit, very little dry track time and a somewhat jumbled grid...going to be an interesting first half hour, to say the least.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 16:43 (Ref:3059017)   #113
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looking forward to this tonight. Can someone much more intelligent than me tell me what time this starts for either UK/Europe?

Lotus looks great!
Old 14 Apr 2012, 18:03 (Ref:3059059)   #114
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Looking forward to this tonight. Can someone much more intelligent than me tell me what time this starts for either UK/Europe?

Lotus looks great!
It's at 1930 EDT in the states... so 0030 (UK) or 0130 (Cont Europe) very early Sunday morning
Old 14 Apr 2012, 18:23 (Ref:3059071)   #115
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_44 View Post
It's at 1930 EDT in the states... so 0030 (UK) or 0130 (Cont Europe) very early Sunday morning
Thanks that was what I was thinking. The ALMS website had their countdown clock completely wrong but have sorted it out now.

I'll watch the race tomorrow then!
Old 14 Apr 2012, 18:36 (Ref:3059079)   #116
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Thanks that was what I was thinking. The ALMS website had their countdown clock completely wrong but have sorted it out now.

I'll watch the race tomorrow then!
Today's race is tomorrow
Old 14 Apr 2012, 23:23 (Ref:3059181)   #117
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I saw that...you think that they could at least get that right...

Stream/coverage/grid walk underway.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 23:49 (Ref:3059192)   #118
haribo
Racer

haribo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMPC is a sick joke
Old 14 Apr 2012, 23:55 (Ref:3059197)   #119
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Dyson car looks very nice.

Muscle Milk would look better as a coupe.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 23:59 (Ref:3059199)   #120
Koppie
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent, UK
Koppie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The lack of dry running in the practice sessions doesn't help and there's probably quite a few drivers still learning the track but there has certainly been a lot of silly errors early on.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 00:00 (Ref:3059200)   #121
haribo
Racer

haribo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I might have to quit and watch this later. There have been so many commercial breaks and in-program adverts in this first half an hour that I've hardly seen any action and can't get with the flow.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 00:12 (Ref:3059205)   #122
Koppie
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent, UK
Koppie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love that cam showing Hindy and Shaw in the commentary booth, you can see them getting frustrated with the amount of commercial breaks aswell.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 00:23 (Ref:3059208)   #123
Francesco
Racer

Italy
Lecco, Italy
Francesco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what an ugly coverage... they have some good battles, especially in GT but the amount of commercials and other bs is killing the show
Old 15 Apr 2012, 00:33 (Ref:3059210)   #124
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is Van Overbeek allowed to do the entire race? (i know the anwser but...). They need this.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 00:41 (Ref:3059213)   #125
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reason for caution?