Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Dec 2013, 20:49 (Ref:3345651)   #51
mjkh
Rookie

mjkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't understand how someone could rank Romain ahead of Kimi. Romain had a few good races in the latter part of the season, but that's not really enough. After all the season starts in March...

I think both Bottas and Perez did OK this season. They both were in similar situations... first season in a new team (as a race driver) and under performing cars. Bottas needs to be a bit tougher in the races though.

For me the biggest surprise was Kimi going back to Ferrari.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 20:50 (Ref:3345653)   #52
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Bottas scored more points than Maldonado reached higher grid placing (3rd vs 13th) and was almost equal in terms of fastest times over the season in his rookie year. He also out qualified Maldonado 11:8 although Maldonado was higher when they both finished.

I don't regard those stats as showing Bottas was outperformed by his team mate.
When they both finished, it was 9-5 to Maldonado (and well deserved, if you weren't paying attention), which is the most important stat for back of the grid teams. Points are a nearly useless measure for teammates racing for back of the grid teams and qualifying isn't races.

That said, I wouldn't put either Bottas or Maldonado anywhere near my top 10.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 21:00 (Ref:3345658)   #53
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
When they both finished, it was 9-5 to Maldonado (and well deserved, if you weren't paying attention), which is the most important stat for back of the grid teams. Points are a nearly useless measure for teammates racing for back of the grid teams and qualifying isn't races.

Don't forget Bottas was a rookie this year who kept his nose clean and I have not heard a bad word about him anywhere, I won't mention his team mates reputation.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 00:31 (Ref:3345731)   #54
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Wnut. In France and indeed Belgium spectators bring their dogs to the events. I suspect that's what Ayse was getting at.

Ok to be positive about 2013, we saw that no matter how good any paticular driver is Max Chilton was the most consistent finisher.
Thanks Peter, guess there will be some very relieved canines with the advent of turbos in 2014!
Old 19 Dec 2013, 02:03 (Ref:3345753)   #55
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The surprise for me is that people are actually interested in this crap. For me the only interest is seeing which manager we can pillory at any given weekend.

Let us not forget, once upon a time racing was er, racing, now it's look after the tyres, radio messages and DRS.

We have really lost the plot.

Bring back REAL F1!
Old 19 Dec 2013, 02:26 (Ref:3345757)   #56
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anyone catch Eddie Irvine's take on things? Seems he agrees with many of us.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 08:09 (Ref:3345827)   #57
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post

I pay enough attention and as we've said, stats are far from the whole story. Even 9-5, the 'seasoned' (ha, ha ) professional against the rookie - not really that much to write home about. I know you insist on defending the guy and I admire your determination, but I'm not about to change my mind. If he turns it on in a straight fight with Romain next season - then I'll be impressed - but I'm not holding my breath.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkh View Post
For me the biggest surprise was Kimi going back to Ferrari.
Probably so, but one would expect that to be substantially financially motivated. Personally I'd doubt that Raikkonen will be in F1 in 2015 - I think his 'interest' will wane again.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 19 Dec 2013 at 08:15.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 08:46 (Ref:3345832)   #58
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Who brings their Dog to the races? of the drivers, none other than Lewis Hamilton.

talk about having a Ruff Year.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 14:00 (Ref:3345917)   #59
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Anyone catch Eddie Irvine's take on things? Seems he agrees with many of us.
Yes Peter I read his comments, it's starting to become farcical, I am hoping that the dbl points decision gets reversed..
Old 19 Dec 2013, 20:47 (Ref:3346086)   #60
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah read some excerpts as well. particularly liked the part about getting drunk-dialed by Kimi on occasion!
Old 21 Dec 2013, 22:33 (Ref:3346799)   #61
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Yes Peter I read his comments, it's starting to become farcical, I am hoping that the dbl points decision gets reversed..
I may be odd man out, but the double points thing doesn't bother me. If they want to spice things up for the mass market through the sporting rules, fine by me. Just don't dumb down the engineering.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 08:49 (Ref:3346852)   #62
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Concurring with what most others have said. The biggest surprise was how bad Mclaren were and then scapegoating one of the drivers! Although they must actually have rated him to bend over backwards to park him somewhere else!

Close second, Kimi back to Maranello...

Next that anyone seriously thought New JerseySwas really happening but then we all thought the same about Austin....

Massa out qualifying Alonso as often as he did. ..

Vettel winning his 4th in a row.

Sauber having such a shocking start after 2 very good seasons.

Max Chilton gettung a gp drive.