Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Nov 2013, 18:32 (Ref:3338249)   #1
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Maldonado thing...

If someone could justify how anyone in F1 could sign him - yet alone a top team - on anything other than money, I'd like to hear it.

Personally I'd now love to see the entire Qauntum deal to break down completely and Lotus to return to the mid-pack, because this is sums up exactly what is wrong with the current business model of F1, and I think that Bernie needs a wake-up call.

Now Nico Hulkenberg, a driver with arguably the best junior racing CV on the F1 grid, who basically dragged his Sauber to ridiculous positions, outfinishing Fernando Alonso (famous for outperforming his car) and even both Mercs on occasion despite having a car that was slower on race pace, will be left to look for a decent drive... ...for the 4th consecutive season.

...compare that to Maldonado, who somehow didn't get a drive-through penalty for speeding in the pit lane this season, but was still caught up in 3 incidents, 2 that were 700% avoidable and 1300% his fault. After having 3 seasons of complete idiocy and somehow a surprising (but deserved) win, despite the credit going as much to the stewards and the fact the race wasn't 1 lap longer than him.

Despite my faulty maths and the fact I am slightly angry, am I not correct?
Old 29 Nov 2013, 19:27 (Ref:3338275)   #2
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's been in F1 for three seasons, one in a very quick car, and scored a career total of 47 points. Hulkenberg scored more than that this season.

It's a travesty that its Pastor and not Nico in a potentially frontrunning Lotus drive.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 20:25 (Ref:3338299)   #3
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by m355y View Post
He's been in F1 for three seasons, one in a very quick car, and scored a career total of 47 points. Hulkenberg scored more than that this season.

It's a travesty that its Pastor and not Nico in a potentially frontrunning Lotus drive.
The Williams car was hardly quick this year or in 2011. More like, worst of the rest, among mid-pack teams.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 20:25 (Ref:3338300)   #4
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
current business model of F1
When has F1 ever not been about money...
Old 29 Nov 2013, 20:28 (Ref:3338303)   #5
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, at least Beryl will be pleased.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3338347)   #6
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Well, at least Beryl will be pleased.
Why? I don't particularly like Maldonado and would have preffered to see Perez or Hulkenburg get the second Lotus seat.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 22:45 (Ref:3338357)   #7
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Why? I don't particularly like Maldonado and would have preffered to see Perez or Hulkenburg get the second Lotus seat.
Sorry Beryl, just assumed he was one of your faves by the way you seemed to have been four square behind him in another thread, no offense intended.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 23:12 (Ref:3338372)   #8
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Sorry Beryl, just assumed he was one of your faves by the way you seemed to have been four square behind him in another thread, no offense intended.
None taken. I've been defending him because IMO his race performances this year have been better (especially in comparison to Bottas) than what has been written by many. I think I'd defend any driver that I don't dislike when they get misrepresented.

That said, while Maldonado is a good driver when he stays out of trouble, I think Sergio and Nico are considerably better and would have made better use of that Lotus seat, so I'm a bit disappointed and not exactly pleased.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3338387)   #9
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Maldonado is a driver with a very worthy turn of speed but he needs people in the team to give him a good whipping and to discipline him and I'm not sure he's had that at Williams as he's the guy bringing gold to a team in a fragile situation. He's also rubbing everyone the wrong way because he's a lout on the track and the way he's been brazenly disparaging his team - particularly recently.

Think of it as Hector Rebaque type of appointment, the guy who joined Brabham as teammate to Piquet back in the day. Maldonado's appointment is not desirable for me - I'd far prefer Nico - but I can be philosophical about it as well. A guy who brings gold to even a team up the grid is just part of this business.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 00:40 (Ref:3338398)   #10
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Read this...

http://www.f1reader.com/#/news/comme...that-bad-88654
Old 30 Nov 2013, 00:59 (Ref:3338402)   #11
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think both Grosjean and Maldonado, whilst not the optimum combo talent wise, will both have something to say in the races in 2014. They might wind up in the gravel trap or with a record that would make Ronnie Biggs blush but they'll be up there.

Or to put it another way, this won't a one car team as it was with Senna and Nakajima nor with Senna and Dumfries, but it will be a two car team. Whilst Maldonado is as obnoxious as Nico has potential, I wouldn't overstate the injustice of this situation either. It's injustice sure but at least injustice within the time honoured traditions of the sport.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 02:16 (Ref:3338418)   #12
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maldonado is like the extreme version of Grosjean. Lots of pace but with a weird headspace that prevents him from using it in an effective way. He's a great villain and makes F1 more exciting by being in it.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 02:19 (Ref:3338419)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
Maldonado is like the extreme version of Grosjean. Lots of pace but with a weird headspace that prevents him from using it in an effective way. He's a great villain and makes F1 more exciting by being in it.
How long will it take him to accuse the Lotus team of fiddling with his car?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 Nov 2013, 03:03 (Ref:3338432)   #14
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Three threads in F1 section discussing Maldonado???
Why not stick with the discussion already in the 2014 grid thread?
Old 30 Nov 2013, 04:02 (Ref:3338446)   #15
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All settled everyone. Pastor is going to replace Kimi at Lotus. Ought to solve a few of Lotus's cash issues anyway.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 09:29 (Ref:3338510)   #16
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
When has F1 ever not been about money...
About the time your signature was current!

Jim
Old 30 Nov 2013, 10:01 (Ref:3338516)   #17
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
If someone could justify how anyone in F1 could sign him - yet alone a top team - on anything other than money, I'd like to hear it.

Personally I'd now love to see the entire Qauntum deal to break down completely and Lotus to return to the mid-pack, because this is sums up exactly what is wrong with the current business model of F1, and I think that Bernie needs a wake-up call.

Now Nico Hulkenberg, a driver with arguably the best junior racing CV on the F1 grid, who basically dragged his Sauber to ridiculous positions, outfinishing Fernando Alonso (famous for outperforming his car) and even both Mercs on occasion despite having a car that was slower on race pace, will be left to look for a decent drive... ...for the 4th consecutive season.

...compare that to Maldonado, who somehow didn't get a drive-through penalty for speeding in the pit lane this season, but was still caught up in 3 incidents, 2 that were 700% avoidable and 1300% his fault. After having 3 seasons of complete idiocy and somehow a surprising (but deserved) win, despite the credit going as much to the stewards and the fact the race wasn't 1 lap longer than him.

Despite my faulty maths and the fact I am slightly angry, am I not correct?
Pastor is a very quick but erratic driver. On his day he can be sublime... evidenced by his race win last year... but put him in a bad car... and his temper seems to get the better of him more often than not... as evidenced by Williams' dark days.

He shouldn't be 'blamed' for being in F1, nor should Lotus be cast as morons for signing him. He is a symptom of the debacle F1 has engineered itself into. It is no longer a 'sport' where the world's fastest drivers compete in the world's fastest cars. Despite many attempts to curtail costs, budgets have mushroomed even larger. What I find most bizarre is that so called 'low budget' teams like Williams, Sauber and Force India have been instrumental in dismissing some of the cost cutting measures and placing themselves in peril and at the mercy of the Maldonados and Sirotkins in a quest to maintain the intrinsic value of their constructor status. It's all rather bizarre.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 10:19 (Ref:3338523)   #18
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What F1 needs is someone in charge who is logical and puts the survival of F1 ahead of their own pockets...
Old 30 Nov 2013, 13:26 (Ref:3338593)   #19
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Three threads in F1 section discussing Maldonado???
Why not stick with the discussion already in the 2014 grid thread?
Fair point, I suppose, but the other two threads are wider discussions that have ended up talking about Maldonado, whereas this one is dedicated to him.

Not that he deserves his own thread. Or indeed an F1 drive.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 15:59 (Ref:3338646)   #20
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Or indeed an F1 drive.
If a team are prepared to sell him a drive for $40M, then you'd have to say he deserves to have it. The broader question is why a top team like Lotus finds itself pimping around to survive.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 16:33 (Ref:3338663)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well they did and that's that.

People say (including some journalists) that he's seriously fast and maybe can shine in 2014. Sure he is, he has to be or even the biggest sum of money wouldn't secure a seat for him. He's a professional driver and that bit must be included in the requirements package.

The whole point is the balance between a driver who has enough money to buy his seat in a team like Lotus and a driver who has enough talent to bring the team to a top level. At the moment, Lotus current situation is to fight to stay alive in F1. After that comes all the other "priorities". Will they be able to grab points with regularity like Kimi did ? Will they be able to have podiums like Kimi had ? Will they be able to finish most of the races ? I'm sure those questions were all left behind somewhere through the failure of the Quantum deal.
Everything will change next season and that's the big bet for most of the teams, but right now, Lotus has left the group of teams that have a strong package to be a title contender. I might be wrong, I really can be and I'll be glad if they prove I'm wrong, but only time will tell.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 17:05 (Ref:3338668)   #22
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Will they be able to grab points with regularity like Kimi did ? Will they be able to have podiums like Kimi had ?
They managed to achieve that this year and it took them to the brink of bankruptcy. If the rewards of success can not overcome the basic costs of operating in F1 then the model is flawed and needs to be changed.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 18:20 (Ref:3338697)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil22 View Post
All settled everyone. Pastor is going to replace Kimi at Lotus. Ought to solve a few of Lotus's crash issues anyway.

Old 30 Nov 2013, 19:10 (Ref:3338718)   #24
davyboy
Veteran

Old 30 Nov 2013, 19:25 (Ref:3338722)   #25
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C'mon guys....he may be bad in many peoples eyes, but I don't think he is "that" bad. There have been far worse.