Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Dec 2013, 20:24 (Ref:3342859)   #1
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 12th team

The FIA has opened the entry process for a 12th team, which could join in 2015 or 2016.

Teams have time to express interest until January 3, the final decision will be made on February 28.

Source: http://www.fia.com/news/call-expression-interest

Now I hope that we get some serious candidates.
Old 11 Dec 2013, 21:32 (Ref:3342879)   #2
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontlieue View Post
The FIA has opened the entry process for a 12th team, which could join in 2015 or 2016.

Teams have time to express interest until January 3, the final decision will be made on February 28.

Source: http://www.fia.com/news/call-expression-interest

Now I hope that we get some serious candidates.
Who has the money? After watching how difficult the last teams found it I don't see manny takers. I suspect it would be easier and less costly to buy an existing team.
Old 11 Dec 2013, 21:37 (Ref:3342884)   #3
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
US$130,000 application fee,not a bad little earner..
Old 11 Dec 2013, 21:39 (Ref:3342888)   #4
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Who has the money? After watching how difficult the last teams found it I don't see manny takers. I suspect it would be easier and less costly to buy an existing team.
Yup, the usual $1 doesn't seem so bad compared to the costs and uncertainties of launching a new team, ask Peter Windsor, bet he wishes he bought an existing team.
Is STR still on the market, or have they fallen in love with driver development again?
Old 11 Dec 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3342917)   #5
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Yup, the usual $1 doesn't seem so bad compared to the costs and uncertainties of launching a new team, ask Peter Windsor, bet he wishes he bought an existing team.
Is STR still on the market, or have they fallen in love with driver development again?
Outside of the big teams I would suspect every team could be sold.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 09:53 (Ref:3343082)   #6
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were rumours about a new US team, but I heard they want to buy Lotus or Sauber, not founding a new team.

I think there will be no team who will be selected. ART perhaps when the budget cap will really happen but I think there will be no new team in 2015, unfortunately
Old 12 Dec 2013, 10:28 (Ref:3343086)   #7
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why are they looking for only 1 team when 2 are needed to bring the grid up to its capacity of 26 cars?
Old 12 Dec 2013, 10:36 (Ref:3343090)   #8
doug911
Racer

United Kingdom
York
doug911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps the budget cap will attract Dave Richards again?
Old 12 Dec 2013, 10:40 (Ref:3343093)   #9
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seems every rich guy in the world interested in motorsport is heading to Formula E and every manufacturer is entering in WEC and GT racing. Who has the interest and money to enter an F1 team now? Especially without a truly guaranteed budget cap.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 10:44 (Ref:3343097)   #10
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl View Post
Why are they looking for only 1 team when 2 are needed to bring the grid up to its capacity of 26 cars?

With the latest rumours regarding Marussia now being even more significantly fuelled by the Chilton deal with AON it may not be a case of getting it to 24 but instead keeping it at 22.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 12:16 (Ref:3343128)   #11
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Seems every rich guy in the world interested in motorsport is heading to Formula E and every manufacturer is entering in WEC and GT racing. Who has the interest and money to enter an F1 team now? Especially without a truly guaranteed budget cap.
Formula E is brand new without entrenched incumbents. GT racing allows even new players to get some action since all cars are restricted/upgraded to a similar performance level. But in F1, you have take on Ferrari, McLaren, and Red Bull, which seems pretty much impossible, and still stupid expensive.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 13:59 (Ref:3343165)   #12
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
Formula E is brand new without entrenched incumbents. GT racing allows even new players to get some action since all cars are restricted/upgraded to a similar performance level. But in F1, you have take on Ferrari, McLaren, and Red Bull, which seems pretty much impossible, and still stupid expensive.
It's not that long since an upstart drinks company bought a floundering automotive manufacturer's effort which had in general terms not competed that well with the incumbent super-teams... and you're talking in terms of impossibilities.

If someone with enough money wants in, they're in. Not only that, but if they have super-enough money, they might be able to pay top whack for designers, engineers, tacticians & drivers and eventually become the dominant force.

At this precise moment, you'd have to be bonkers. But if you're super rich, bonkers, and a petrol head - why not? Dietrich managed it, why couldn't someone else?
Old 12 Dec 2013, 14:16 (Ref:3343169)   #13
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The more the merrier. In fact, get two extra teams in.

I thought Bernie only wanted 10 teams though? He seemed to be rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of one of the two backmarer teams folding, not so long ago.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 16:10 (Ref:3343195)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I thought Bernie only wanted 10 teams though? He seemed to be rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of one of the two backmarer teams folding, not so long ago.
iirc there is a contractual requirement that 10 teams show up for each race.

is there a pattern here? do grid spots only open up if there is a legitimate fear that enough teams could fold as to drop the total number below 10?

the short notice and small window of the application process, less than a month to get it in, seems kind of odd to me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
good points. Formula E is new and untested (even gimmicky) but the substantially lower cost (3-4mil budget) and the a series of environmentally friendly and quiet street races (the kids will be talkin) in some of the biggest cities in the world (one race in LA is worth 10 in Austin imo) is a huge draw. maybe like A1GP this series fizzles out in a few years but so do most new teams in F1.

Branson's involvement in Formula E i think gives us a unique comparison point to see the which series is better for investors and sponsors going forward.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 16:40 (Ref:3343205)   #15
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember the Aston Martin F1 rumours in 2009...

...if only...
Old 12 Dec 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3343220)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Carlos Slim has a lot of money...
Old 12 Dec 2013, 17:46 (Ref:3343225)   #17
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/200...in-formula-one

That's what I mean.

Providing budget caps eh?
Old 12 Dec 2013, 18:43 (Ref:3343253)   #18
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Surely someone will do a whip around and have a crack at it with a little team? No? Is that the sound of crickets? Even the crickets are shrugging their shoulders.

I'd like to see a new team or two myself. They are interesting.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 18:55 (Ref:3343257)   #19
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The deadline's only in a couple of weeks isn't it? I'm guessing they've been approached by someone already. I imagine ART would have the easiest time getting FIA approval (assuming it's not a manufacturer), but they'll need money from somewhere.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 18:57 (Ref:3343261)   #20
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
They may have left such a tight deadline because they don't want new teams and just went through the motions. Seems intuitive given the way Eccelstone has been talking recently.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 18:58 (Ref:3343262)   #21
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
I have just been reading Joe Saward's thoughts on the subject. In it he says it would be easier to buy an existing team as most or all of the necessary wiil be in place. The only team likely to want to start from scratch might be a manufacturer. There is also the thorny question of a oncorde agreement that is not fully sorted yet.
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/...a-new-f1-team/
Old 12 Dec 2013, 19:27 (Ref:3343271)   #22
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post

The Audi Toyota comments plastered throughout the comment section of that website just show how delusional so many F1 fans are regarding the current importance of their series to manufacturers.

Also, you know fans are grasping for straws when some think Epsilon Euskadi, a team that doesn't even exist any more, is a potential candidate.

Party like it's 2007...

Last edited by FordCosworthPanoz; 12 Dec 2013 at 19:33.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 19:28 (Ref:3343272)   #23
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
The deadline's only in a couple of weeks isn't it? I'm guessing they've been approached by someone already. I imagine ART would have the easiest time getting FIA approval (assuming it's not a manufacturer), but they'll need money from somewhere.
Isn't ART owned by somebody in the Todt family?
Old 12 Dec 2013, 19:34 (Ref:3343275)   #24
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah his son Nicolas Todt is a co owner and iirc ART GP is one of the teams which failed in its attempt for an F1 team the last time around on account of not having the money to do so.

maybe they are financially better off now. i dont know.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 19:38 (Ref:3343278)   #25
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
I really can't see ART being able to do it without major financial backing from some major Chinese or Russian bank, lending firm or snakeoil salesman, and that's usually shaky anyway and rarely lasts long like the Sauber deal inevitably will.

Their cars in GP2/GP3 and GT are relatively lacking in major sponsors as well.