Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Apr 2002, 13:33 (Ref:259918)   #1
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Time to ditch San Marino?

This has to have been one of the most boring races I've seen. In contrast to the excitement of qualifying, I've even found time to clean the oven whilst this race has been running.

The track is boring, there's no opportunity to overtake, Italy has two GPs and interest appears to be waning over there. So, is it time for San Marino to go bye bye?
Old 14 Apr 2002, 13:43 (Ref:259926)   #2
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sound like a good idea to me,

You could always spend lots of money and make the circuit in to a better one, with out all the stop start sections of the track.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 13:48 (Ref:259938)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know...apart from lack of a first lap incident, I didn't think it was much different from the last two races... This is F1.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:00 (Ref:259974)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Imola should be dropped anyway. What makes Italy (and Germany) so special that they should have two races?

Besides, the track is a shadow of its former self. Get rid of it, unless they restore the track to its former glorious (and faster which created passing) self.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:00 (Ref:259975)   #5
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditch Imola?? For what?? Stupid idea.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:04 (Ref:259984)   #6
Crank Case
Racer

Crank Case should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just wait till Hungary
The planned changes can only be for the better
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:10 (Ref:259995)   #7
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
You get the odd 'no Montoya loosing his wing' race you know

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:11 (Ref:259998)   #8
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen some pretty good races at Hungary. Or am I the only person in the WORLD to think so??
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:51 (Ref:260067)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drop Imola, move the race to Brno! Damn good track there that deserves an F1 race!
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:55 (Ref:260078)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Imola should be dropped anyway. What makes Italy so special that they should have two races?

How about passionate fans, a rich history in the sport and the tradition which means a helluvalot more to me than anything sterile places like Sepang can muster.

On the flip side, the track does need a lot of work, its too narrow and there are few places to make a pass. It causes processional races and with the aerodynamics and cabon brakes of today's cars, the place is over taxed.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:57 (Ref:260086)   #11
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anything there should be two races in the uk.

Where are most of the teams based again????
Old 14 Apr 2002, 15:02 (Ref:260096)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wouldn't disagree with you Tony. How about a Scottish GP, or run the European GP at Donnington and Luxembourg at the Nurburgring.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 15:06 (Ref:260105)   #13
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wanna see a Grand Prix at Brands, but I dont wanna see the circuit destroyed. Thats out of the window then.

I also think that Imola needs work doing to it, very little to get excited about.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 15:23 (Ref:260127)   #14
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imola is due for modications and apparently they will cut some of the chicanes and try and create some more overtaking opportunities. I dont think it should be dropped, regardless of whether the planned modifications increase overtaking chances or not.

Imola and Monza are two of the most exciting circuits in terms of fan support and general atmosphere - it has a great history - and the drivers enjoy racing there.

Usually we have good races at Imola - one bad one should just be a considered a one off IMO.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 20:17 (Ref:260322)   #15
Lee Janotta
Veteran

As insane as the Tifosi are, they don't deserve two races in such a small country. What, there aren't fans just as rabid in the Czech Republic, Mexico or Portugal?

Plus they've got Monaco and Austria in very close proximity. Too many races in such a tight area. Likewise with the Nurburgring and Spa nearly next door to each other. Unless they run the real 'ring, it's not worth it.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 20:24 (Ref:260327)   #16
f1canada
Rookie

f1canada should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What an understatment...

Someone wrote that the track was a shadow of itself...frankly they are all shadows of the past great tracks. Welcome to the real, sad, f1 reality of Max, Mr B et al...
Old 14 Apr 2002, 20:34 (Ref:260331)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Yeah... Suzuka's the oldest round on the schedule that hasn't had major changes to the track or a complete change of venue. Really these changes to Suzuka are harmless, I overreacted when I first heard. But after the way all the other tracks have been screwed with, it's the immediate conclusion.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 20:43 (Ref:260340)   #18
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that was an ultra boring race really, nothing happened, did it? Top four cars finished as they started, all seperated by a few seconds. Did we actually see any overtaking manouvres in the top six all day? Apart from in the pits of course. No. A Shame really.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 21:03 (Ref:260349)   #19
Lee Janotta
Veteran

As insane as the Tifosi are, they don't deserve two races in such a small country. What, there aren't fans just as rabid in the Czech Republic, Mexico or Portugal?

Plus they've got Monaco and Austria in very close proximity. Too many races in such a tight area. Likewise with the Nurburgring and Spa nearly next door to each other. Unless they run the real 'ring, it's not worth it.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 21:05 (Ref:260351)   #20
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Time to ditch San Marino?

Quote:
Originally posted by jonboyG
Italy has two GPs and interest appears to be waning over there.
Boring race, yes.... But interest in F1 waning in Italy? Where did you hear that? For Chrissake, they ring the church bells in Maranello whenever they win a GP. Its a religion.

Btw, technically, the San Marino GP does not belong to the Italians. It belongs to the Republic of San Marino

Old 14 Apr 2002, 21:07 (Ref:260353)   #21
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was truly dull, they should stick to using the circuit just for bikes
Old 14 Apr 2002, 21:16 (Ref:260369)   #22
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree it was like watching paint dry, hence on the ITV telecast all the talk of the extra steering wheel for Schumacher waiting in the pits. You could imagine the commentators... "at last something to talk about"

I also agree that the other races this year have been only marginally better.

Anyone for a breakaway series? Calling all manufacturers.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 21:48 (Ref:260387)   #23
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Boring race, yes.... But interest in F1 waning in Italy? Where did you hear that? For Chrissake, they ring the church bells in Maranello whenever they win a GP. Its a religion.
Apparently viewing figures are down in Italy. Something to do with Schumacher fatigue probably. That, and maybe there's something in the Italian psyche about supporting a team that spends more money than anyone else and gets rules changed to accomodate it, yet fails to deliver constantly. Where's the fun in supporting Ferrari when they win all the time?
Old 14 Apr 2002, 22:07 (Ref:260402)   #24
andrew_powell98
Racer

andrew_powell98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree the race was boring, but Barcelona comming up & it will be just as bad. However with new circuits being built in Dubai, Russia and possibly in China (yet again) and Korea some countries will loose one GP. So Italy, and Germany look probable candidates and possibly Hungery.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 22:34 (Ref:260419)   #25
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
That "little country" Italy is one of the main motorsport centers in the world. It is not only the tradition (which is important IMO) but just nowadays. How many drivers in every category? How many constructors thru the full range of competition levels? How many media dedicated to it?

There is not many countries that can compare. And FIA must consider if it prefers to augment figures in a "new" (in motorsport) country that we don't know if ten years after they will go on watching races, or maintain its mainstays that have many years supporting the sport.

It surely is a difficult balance, but Britain, Italy, France and Germany are the basic fabric of the sport in terms of industry, drivers, media, knowledge, tradition, competitions, tracks, etc. And all that costs many years to build.

You know FIA was even threatening to drop Britain GP... I can barely imagine the outcomes.