Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Jun 2013, 12:08 (Ref:3269985)   #3651
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
Isn't that the point? Appealing to people who haven't already bought your car? I mean, it makes more sense to enter to appeal to people who would not normally buy a Jaguar than people who have already bought one or have brand loyalty.
Unless they simply wouldn't buy one no matter what you do, which is probably true in this case.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3270003)   #3652
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Renault may use F1 engine in LMP

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108297
Old 26 Jun 2013, 13:37 (Ref:3270024)   #3653
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
Quote:
"We will certainly not build an LMP1; it is not consistent with the spirit of Alpine," he said. "Alpine has always been about David versus Goliath.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 13:39 (Ref:3270026)   #3654
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Not before 2016
Quote:
"We will look at it once we have demonstrated we have a competitive F1 engine in 2014/15. I don't envisage anything happening with this engine in endurance racing before 2016."
Old 26 Jun 2013, 13:43 (Ref:3270027)   #3655
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If Renault were to join the party, I'd start to get a little nervous about the health of the sport. Three manufacturers is fine, but if we had 4 with all this hybrid technology and with F1 engines, I'd find it hard to see it sustaining itself for more than a handful of years.

Porsche, Toyota and Audi is absolutely fine by me. I think we could take one more, and I'd rather that were Nissan and then Alpine/Renault became an engine supplier.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 14:07 (Ref:3270035)   #3656
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
If Renault were to join the party, I'd start to get a little nervous about the health of the sport. Three manufacturers is fine, but if we had 4 with all this hybrid technology and with F1 engines, I'd find it hard to see it sustaining itself for more than a handful of years.

Porsche, Toyota and Audi is absolutely fine by me. I think we could take one more, and I'd rather that were Nissan and then Alpine/Renault became an engine supplier.
Remember Nissan and Renault are very much linked so the Renault F1 engine could be branded Nissan for a P1 entry
Old 26 Jun 2013, 14:48 (Ref:3270042)   #3657
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Four manufacturers would be a bit too much but we also have to ask how long are Audi and Toyota going to stay in LMP1? 2016? 2017?

If a Nissan/Renault/Alpine entree does happen, there would be a bigger positive influence then negative imo.

And if Audi or Toyota do leave, it will be because they have accomplished or couldn't accomplish their goal, not because of the competition imo.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 14:59 (Ref:3270049)   #3658
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
You're forgetting that Nissan is not looking to compete in LMP1. It turns out the aim of g56 entry is to prove their technology is worth of its own class for hybrid vehicles whose manufacturers are adamant about calling them electric, maybe GM will join too, who knows))) Electrifying, innit?
Old 26 Jun 2013, 15:09 (Ref:3270053)   #3659
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
you would still need ICE as powerful as those today, to provide enough juice for the electric motors. Audi' concept is fine for a city car, not exactly suitable for a endurance racer where you'll be going flat out all the time... you would drain the batteries faster than that little engine could produce juice.
The e-tron quattro does not use batteries as it uses a flywheel for energy storage (potentially a lot more powerful than batteries without the weight penalty as long as you can spin the flywheel at 100,000+ RPM)

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/aud...r18_etron.html
Old 26 Jun 2013, 17:49 (Ref:3270123)   #3660
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Velociraptor was referring to the Wankel range extender solution in the Audi A1 e-tron concept, not to the R18
Old 26 Jun 2013, 19:05 (Ref:3270144)   #3661
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
You're forgetting that Nissan is not looking to compete in LMP1. It turns out the aim of g56 entry is to prove their technology is worth of its own class for hybrid vehicles whose manufacturers are adamant about calling them electric, maybe GM will join too, who knows))) Electrifying, innit?
From DSC today with Darren Cox:
http://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=8748

We can’t avoid the question of LMP1 – What is the current status of that for Nissan? Is it definitely in the plan?

“Absolutely, we want to be in LMP1 as soon as possible. In fact it is the only reason we are doing this. We’re talking to the ACO about our programme and they are very keen to have a powertrain like the one we are developing in LMP1.”

Guys, more teams is NEVER worse. If there's not enough people complain, now we're going to complain about too much manufacturer interest in P1?
Old 26 Jun 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3270150)   #3662
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11306265...CarFans.com%29

While the road car is targeted for ~200 HP, perhaps there's an off-chance that Caterham will use this for GTE racing
Old 26 Jun 2013, 20:30 (Ref:3270185)   #3663
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Guys, more teams is NEVER worse. If there's not enough people complain, now we're going to complain about too much manufacturer interest in P1?
That is what makes us such awesome fans! We're never happy!
Old 26 Jun 2013, 23:28 (Ref:3270239)   #3664
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:

In the article the Renault person clearly says no P1 (for now at least). Why four is so much bigger number than three? One or more of them will eventually leave completely regardless of health of the championship or costs, just because their marketing goals might change, so I'd say more is always better. Also, it is somehow worrying that now (2014) two of the involved manufacturers are from the same mother company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
And if Audi or Toyota do leave, it will be because they have accomplished or couldn't accomplish their goal, not because of the competition imo.
Higher competition = higher costs, it's not the seconds that cost but the tenths.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 00:53 (Ref:3270264)   #3665
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linkƶping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Despite my skepticism when this programme was announced, itself likely a reaction to some blue-sky thinking around the Nissan announcement hype, I'm definitely coming around to this position. My fear has always been that Nissan would use this justification and not follow through, and I'm not going to pretend that seeing some of the SRO GT backing going towards an ACO GT program wouldn't make me a happy camper. That said, that they have continued to invest in their customer P2 teams (Delta-ADR and Greaves, plus Signatech through Alpine which is under the broader corporate umbrella) makes me think they're not completely greenwashing us here. If we can get a 4th manufacturer (or a 3rd, if one of Toyota or Audi are gone by then) to compete in P1, we win as fans and the sport wins as a business.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 07:49 (Ref:3270337)   #3666
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I'm not complaining, I will enjoy it while it lasts! It's my interest in motorsport history which makes me nervous though.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 09:34 (Ref:3270411)   #3667
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know that Jaguar isnĀ“t coming to Le Mans next year but take a look at this video of their CX-75 concept, just amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3xDG...layer_embedded
Old 27 Jun 2013, 13:52 (Ref:3270585)   #3668
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Tiga? http://www.racer.com/tiga-could-make...rticle/300643/

In a nutshell: new owner has bought assets of Team WFR, and now plans to convert WF01 to current LMP2. US interest mentioned, btw.

Last edited by deggis; 27 Jun 2013 at 14:08.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 16:12 (Ref:3270663)   #3669
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Tiga? http://www.racer.com/tiga-could-make...rticle/300643/

In a nutshell: new owner has bought assets of Team WFR, and now plans to convert WF01 to current LMP2. US interest mentioned, btw.
I wouldn't have put much stock in this announcement BUT Mike Newton is involved.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 01:16 (Ref:3270991)   #3670
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Soo..Are there any P1 cars confirmed for the first round of the WEC next year? I've heard alot about debuts at Le Mans...Will Audi run the old car grandfathered? Same with Toyota? until they debut the new cars at Lemans? Apparently Porsche don't have plans to debut until Le Mans either correct me if I am wrong.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 01:23 (Ref:3270994)   #3671
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Soo..Are there any P1 cars confirmed for the first round of the WEC next year? I've heard alot about debuts at Le Mans...Will Audi run the old car grandfathered? Same with Toyota? until they debut the new cars at Lemans? Apparently Porsche don't have plans to debut until Le Mans either correct me if I am wrong.
They said that they planned to debut at Sebring (when it was still in ALMS/WEC) so they should be ready for the first WEC round next year.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 01:35 (Ref:3270996)   #3672
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Soo..Are there any P1 cars confirmed for the first round of the WEC next year?
Technically... as of right now, there is no 1st round as the 2014 calendar won't be released for a while, so I don't think so any team can 100% guaratee participation. But in practice all of the factory teams are probably pretty safe bets...

Quote:
I've heard alot about debuts at Le Mans... Will Audi run the old car grandfathered? Same with Toyota? until they debut the new cars at Lemans? Apparently Porsche don't have plans to debut until Le Mans either correct me if I am wrong.
No idea where did you get these conclusions. Especially Porsche, how do you think they're going to seriously contest WEC by skipping rounds
Old 28 Jun 2013, 02:08 (Ref:3271000)   #3673
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its been done before. Teams running the old car until Le Mans or Spa. Toyota did it a little this year. Audi did it at some points in the past as well like at Sebring. I was just guessing no conclusive answers yet. I was open to being corrected.

I asked in the Porsche thread and people seemed to suggest that Porsche were debuting at Le Mans. I don't think that's wise but I guess no one on the forums really knows. Or hasn't seen my question yet.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 02:30 (Ref:3271004)   #3674
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Its been done before. Teams running the old car until Le Mans or Spa. Toyota did it a little this year. Audi did it at some points in the past as well like at Sebring. I was just guessing no conclusive answers yet. I was open to being corrected.
Considering the big 2014 changes, to me sounds waste to use an old car that has no future use vs. even not so polished new car. I see this only happening if the new car is seriously delayed. Also grandfathering rules are not clear yet but for sure the old cars are not allowed to be competitive.

Quote:
I asked in the Porsche thread and people seemed to suggest that Porsche were debuting at Le Mans. I don't think that's wise but I guess no one on the forums really knows. Or hasn't seen my question yet.
Just checked: one answer was wrong and two others were clearly sarcastic. When they are going to contest the WEC, I don't see how that is going to happen if they are not actually going enter races. And Porsche has no old car obviously.

In a way Porsche debuting first could be seen as most probable (and not saying Audi/Toyota are not probable), since they already have tested a 2014 car. Also they are way ahead in development if compared to when Peugeot or Toyota started, if looking at the time first public shakedown to first race and they don't have to race this year at the same time like Audi and Toyota have to (the GTE program doesn't take as much as resources anyway).

Last edited by deggis; 28 Jun 2013 at 02:35.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 09:25 (Ref:3271106)   #3675
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
http://mariantic.co.uk/lmp/ is back! It shows an overview of the (rumored) LMP1/2 manufacturers for next year!