Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 10 May 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1297732)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wheldon to F1 ????????

Linko

Quote:
A consequence of BAR’s two-race ban announced last week by the FIA’s International Court of Appeal has been the almost certain departure of Jenson Button from the team by season’s end.
Quote:
Following last year’s “Buttongate” struggle between BAR and Williams for the Englishman’s 2005 services, it emerged that Button’s BAR contract stipulated that unless he had scored a certain percentage of the '05 championship leader’s points by a given date - believed to be 75 percent by the Turkish GP in August - Grove would win over Brackley’s lead driver.
Old 10 May 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1297737)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
and what exactly does this have to do with Dan Weldon?
Old 10 May 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1297739)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
and what exactly does this have to do with Dan Weldon?
If you follow the link it says more, I can't quote all of the artcle.

But
Quote:
The rumor is but a matter of dot-connecting: Wheldon, also an Englishman, is managed by Julian Jakobi, a man with plenty of contacts in the F1 paddock who counts Juan Pablo Montoya among his clients. The Andretti Green driver is equally powered by Honda, and considering he’s won three of the IRL’s four ‘05 rounds so far - including victory at Honda’s home track of Motegi, where Wheldon became the first Honda-powered driver to win back in 2004 - it’s fair to assume his stock is high at Hammamatsu. Honda’s rumored departure from the IRL to follow Toyota into NASCAR could be the final piece of the Wheldon-to-BAR puzzle.
Old 10 May 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1297745)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Luke, I should have read the link before posting
Old 10 May 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1297746)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Thanks Luke, I should have read the link before posting
No worries Stephen.
Old 10 May 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1297757)   #6
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wheldon doesn't have the credentials for a race seat in F1. Let alone at a frontrunner like BAR.

IMO, his manager is probably looking for a test drive at BAR next season. We already know Jenson is leaving the team, and chances are that Davidson will either take his place in 2006 or move on to another team. Either way, BAR are going to have a major vacancy in the test driver department.

Remember, BAR not only need to replace a talented driver in Button, but they need to replace Jenson's image -- he is the face and the aura of the team. BAR needs to find a star driver to lead the team. Sato, Davidson, and Wheldon are not the star drivers BAR are looking for.
Old 10 May 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1297768)   #7
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree - the link between Wheldon and a potential BAR Honda vacancy is tenuous at best. There were many seemingly solid rumours in 2003 that Franchitti was going to get a test run with BAR through Honda, and even this season Kanaan is supposed to be getting a run in a BAR.

One race win at St Petersburg and potentially another two later in the season is not going to be enough to sway a team like BAR with world title aspirations. If we are claiming "Wheldon to F1" we may as well claim "Jeff Gordon to the BTCC".
Old 10 May 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1297769)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Davidson would feel seriously aggrieved if this were to go through. And I don't see Wheldon as F1 material somehow.........I think he'll be in the American style of racing for life, which is no bad thing incidentally.
Old 10 May 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1297781)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I think Davidson would feel seriously aggrieved if this were to go through. And I don't see Wheldon as F1 material somehow.........I think he'll be in the American style of racing for life, which is no bad thing incidentally.
I have to agree with most of that knowlesy.

Wheldon, out of all the foreign drivers in the IRL, really seem's to enjoy what he is doing here, and he seem's to love the life-style he has attained here. He is never at a loss of words of praise for this series and these cars. I think he is eager to win the championship here, along with the Indy 500 before he even considers other things, if he ever does. I've said it often, that Dan is one of the best, if not the best ambassadors for the IRL. I'd hate to lose him.

As for not being F1 material, I'm not sure. IMO, there are already quite a few drivers there that I don't rate highly. They are just there because they have the money, sponsor, or something besides driver skills. I think Dan would pick-it up quickly and with his personality, he would become a star without to much of a problem. Although, after racing in the IRL, I think he might find F1 abit boring!

Danica Patrick
Old 10 May 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1297782)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would imagine Davidson is virtually guaranteed the drive.
Old 10 May 2005, 21:23 (Ref:1297822)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also, Jenson is deinfitely free to leave if he doesn't reach the performance target, but there's no guarantee that Williams will have a vacancy for him, especially as Webber is under contract and Heidfeld has exceeded expectations. If they do though, Davidson is better suited.

Dan has spent a long time in the US ladder championships right from their Formula Ford series, which is the last time he did a lot of road racing (against what is probably a much weaker field than the UK F3 field Davidson finished 2nd against as a rookie in 2001, for example). It's certainly worth giving him a test, but I'm not sure anything lastign would come of it. Honda are committed ot the IRL for 2006, and even if they leave I'm sure another IRL team would place more value on Dan than BAR would.
Old 10 May 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1297856)   #12
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree, Dan was one of the most talented prospects to come out of karting for donkeys, he was as good if not better than Button and Davidson. In Formula racing, he was always underbudgeted. he had no chance to make a name, yet he managed to finish strongly in FVauxhall and in Formula Ford. He went to America and has risen to the top very dramatically and proven his ability behind the wheel.

I think if he doesnt manage to get a good F1 seat it only proves how narrow minded F1 is.
Old 10 May 2005, 23:07 (Ref:1297903)   #13
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmot
I disagree, Dan was one of the most talented prospects to come out of karting for donkeys, he was as good if not better than Button and Davidson. In Formula racing, he was always underbudgeted. he had no chance to make a name, yet he managed to finish strongly in FVauxhall and in Formula Ford. He went to America and has risen to the top very dramatically and proven his ability behind the wheel.

I think if he doesnt manage to get a good F1 seat it only proves how narrow minded F1 is.
Not true!...Wheldon had an equipment advantage in the childrens 60cc Cadet class over Button and Davidson winning 3 titles but when he graduated to 100cc he took 3 seasons to take the British junior title. Whereas Davidson scooped it in one season (1994 against Button already in his 2nd season), in what was regarded as one of it's most competitive years (the final year of the too powerful Reed-value JB100 class) Davidson also clinched the inaugural JICA title (the continental replacement premier junior class) and the following year (1995) stormed to the title for the second time to score back to back titles (unprecedented)

In top level International karting (where Flavio found Fisichella & Truili) Wheldon had a quite a good year with the crack Fullerton team but moved on to FJ Vauxhall in the UK. Fullerton (a former world champion & teammate of Sennas) wanted to sign Button but JB wouldn't leave the Belgian team he was in already. So Fullerton signed 16 year old Davidson who repaid the faith by winning more finals in the CIK/FIA European championships than the incumbent Formula A Italian champion, but missed out on the title to him by a single point. Davidson was a revelation coming in to the International scene as a complete unknown, leading Fullerton to state that "Davidson is the best karting talent I have seen in 10 years" (Fullerton had also run Justin Wilson)

Wheldon should have stayed in International karting longer and gained more racing experience before going to single seaters, failing to win the FJVauxhall and failing to win Formula Ford title or the Festival for a further two more seasons despite being with the best team (Duckhams Van dieman) He also failed to impress the McLaren/Autosport/ BRDC/ Young Driver of the year judges (I think Button won it that year?) Wheldon then crossed the Atlantic unable to secure the budget or interest in him to do F3, winning the F2000 championship against softer US opposition there and on to IRL via Formula Atlantic I believe?. Whereas Davidson after 4 years as a professional International karter took Formula Ford and British & International F3 by storm as a rookie matching what Button had done previously including winning the Young Driver award...which directly lead to then BAR team boss Craig Pollock signing him up to train him up in F1.

Unfortunatly for Davidson Pollock was replaced by Richards who grabbed Button as a 'name' from Flavio who was ready to dispense with his services. Davidson was gutted to be bepassed for his old karting foe, Richards was oblivious to Davidsons potential and only realised he was any good when he saw him with his own eyes in action last year on the Friday practice days, where as we all saw was rather good.

To make up for his oversight Richards granted Davidson leave to test for Williams, but was then replaced himself by Honda...Davidson was gutted once again, now being prevented from doing the Williams test by new boss Nick Fry as Geof Willis needed ADs development skills. To be bepassed again by an old karting foe would be very cruel indeed! But both are 'Honda drivers' it is true...Honda are very loyal to their staff especially those who are loyal as Davidson has been and successful as Wheldon is being at the moment.

Obviously all drivers and their managers talk all the time to F1 teams with a view to getting them a drive...Wheldon told BAR personel at the Indy GP last year that HE was gutted that Button & Davidson were in F1....may the best?...luckiest man win!
Old 10 May 2005, 23:43 (Ref:1297912)   #14
CallumC
Rookie

Scotland
Preston, Lancashire
CallumC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Dan isn't F1 material right now, but to be honest how many F1 stars could cut it in the IRL straight away. It's a totally different style of racing that requires a totally different style of driving, as is F1 to IRL. IMO Dan would pick up the F1 pace fairly quickly.
Old 10 May 2005, 23:50 (Ref:1297916)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rennen, you say that Wheldon should have stayed on with international karting for awhile longer instead of coming to the States, but it seem's to me that he made the right move. Although he's not in F1, he now has a top ride, in a top team, in a top open wheel series, and is making some real money. He is a very serious contender for the championship here, and he is looking very strong for the Indy 500. All the while, Davidson is still a test driver that has been passed over to many times. What's his future?

Since Button and Sato have nothing to do this month, how about they come over and do the Indy 500!? Now that would be interesting, but as As CallumC rightly said above, they probably couldn't do it straight away!

Welcome to the forum CallumC!

Danica Patrick
Old 10 May 2005, 23:52 (Ref:1297918)   #16
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's just drafting isn't it...motor racing is about the "twiddle bits" and trying to out brake people! Imagine being in a bunch of cars heading for the line and loads pass you cos they have your draft! Rubbish class..."Roundy Round"...Made me dizzy following the leader at that Rockingham Champ car race a few years ago!
Old 10 May 2005, 23:54 (Ref:1297920)   #17
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
What like Jim Clark couldn't you mean! 'GP Racer'

Davidson is hanging on in there hoping for Button's seat next year...if it doesn't happen Midland is his next call, or maybe that cancelled Williams test and then Oh dear IRL! God forbid!
Old 11 May 2005, 00:04 (Ref:1297925)   #18
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
It's just drafting isn't it...motor racing is about the "twiddle bits" and trying to out brake people! Imagine being in a bunch of cars heading for the line and loads pass you cos they have your draft! Rubbish class..."Roundy Round"...Made me dizzy following the leader at that Rockingham Champ car race a few years ago!
Uhmmm, we like our rubbish class of roundy round racing racing just fine, thank you. But it was very nice of you to come all the way over here and tell us what "real" racing is like.

All that out braking stuff must be terribly exciting, but there not doing much of that these days in the F1 parades, are they?

Danica Patrick
Old 11 May 2005, 02:22 (Ref:1297970)   #19
fazzaz
Racer

United States
Appalachia, USA
fazzaz has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thank you, GP Racer. Rennen, given your situation and background I was disappointed to read your dismissive comments about our "rubbish racing", which it appears you don't quite understand.

I guess that means that young AD is too good for this sort of thing...unlike Jimmy Clark, who is still remembered and very well regarded over here. (I suspect you didn't know that Clark raced NASCAR stockers on occasion, too, if only with limited success.)

Oh well. Somehow we'll survive.
Old 11 May 2005, 04:08 (Ref:1298002)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen

No disrespect to you, Renna, but...

Can someone ask Vanna White to sell this man a clue???

Question:

If it is just drafting and "roundy-round", why couldn't Johnny Herbert (a well-known road racer and F-1/Sportscar talent) make the Indy 500 field in 2002?

Why didn't F-1 Champions Jack Brabham and Jackie Stewart ever win the Indy 500???

Others such as Jackie Ickx, Jochen Rindt, Dennis Hulme, Raul Boesel, Nelson Piquet, to name a few...never won an event in Indy Car racing

I could go on and on...so don't even go there....

It IS a different style of driving....and each discipline requires certain skills...

But if it is just "roundy-round," why didn't the drivers I listed above ever pee a single drop worth of results and just dominate such a barbaric form of racing??

Go back to your go-karts....or buy that clue from Vanna...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 11 May 2005, 06:14 (Ref:1298029)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
Rennen, you say that Wheldon should have stayed on with international karting for awhile longer instead of coming to the States:

No, he said that Wheldon should have stayed in karting a while longer rather than jumping into FVauxhall when he did.
Old 11 May 2005, 06:32 (Ref:1298035)   #22
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
If it is just drafting and "roundy-round", why couldn't Johnny Herbert (a well-known road racer and F-1/Sportscar talent) make the Indy 500 field in 2002?
Herbert failed to qualify because it was a last-minute, hap-hazard, hastily thrown together deal.

I don't doubt for a second that Johnny Herbert could have developed into a fine IndyCar driver, given a decent chance.
Old 11 May 2005, 06:56 (Ref:1298041)   #23
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you ask me there should have been a question-mark in the thread title..

Anyhow, I prefer GrandPrix.com's take on it:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns14783.html

A bit more realistic, if you ask me, in particular compared to the way the SpeedTV article points to Honda's rumoured entry into NASCAR, to follow Toyota, when Toyota themselves won't even get into the Cup Series until 2007, at the earliest, after probably entering the Busch Series next year. Not to mention I don't see how Honda would be able to go straight for the Cup Series anyway - it would be suicide.
Old 11 May 2005, 08:08 (Ref:1298070)   #24
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
If Button does go to Williams I hope Davidson gets his seat.
If Button does go to Williams I will no longer be a fan.
Old 11 May 2005, 08:13 (Ref:1298076)   #25
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
Since Button and Sato have nothing to do this month, how about they come over and do the Indy 500!?
Highly unlikely, of course, but wouldn't that be great!!!