Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Jul 2014, 17:24 (Ref:3431856)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
FIA set to ban FRIC suspension from Hockenheim...?

I read on Autosport that FRIC suspension could be banned from Germany onwards. This system is thought to be used by a few teams, most notably Mercedes...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114881
Old 8 Jul 2014, 18:01 (Ref:3431869)   #2
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So a system which most of the teams use,and have used for years,is now deemed to be questionable?I wonder who has been whining to the FIA?Has to be an under achieving team.It is after all an evolution of the system that Citroen introduced almost sixty years ago and which Mercedes have licensed for use in their larger road cars.

It gets more confusing when one reads that the FIA are contemplating the return of active suspension on the not too distant future.I am racking my brain to remember which outfit has a history of seeking clarifications that might make their cars more competitive.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 18:10 (Ref:3431872)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not saying it was Ferrari. But it was probably Ferrari.

Well, however this came about, ludicrous. Reminds me of the mass damper furore.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 18:12 (Ref:3431874)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It does seem strange to ban something which could potentially benefit road users. This is where I think F1 is going wrong, the manufacturers are moaning that F1 isn't road relevant anymore, yet they go and potentially ban something which has legs to develop and so forth. But hey, who needs suspension innovation when the teams can just pour another 20 million pound into aero research, of which pretty much none of it will benefit road users.

This very much reminds me of 2006 when Renault was just ahead of Ferrari and then the fia (again at hockenheim rather bizarrely) banned the use of the mass damper system. Again, another innovation banned...
Old 8 Jul 2014, 18:21 (Ref:3431878)   #5
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I'm not saying it was Ferrari. But it was probably Ferrari.

Well, however this came about, ludicrous. Reminds me of the mass damper furore.
I put post in on the rule changes thread but in my view this looks like a manipulation of the championship. If it is (and it doesn't look to be much else) its a disgrace. The rules should be fixed and in place for the duration of the championship and preceded with 6-12 months notice on such issues.
Ban it, if you must, for 2015, but tell them now.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 18:31 (Ref:3431879)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Often these components are integral to the packaging of the car. Could a team just simply "remove" such a system without any additional testing or car modifications?
Old 8 Jul 2014, 19:05 (Ref:3431893)   #7
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All these years Lewis has used the word "frickin'", we completely misunderstood him...
Old 8 Jul 2014, 20:53 (Ref:3431922)   #8
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I can;t understand how FIA can change car regulations mid-season. Except for safety reasons, teams should never allow that.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 22:30 (Ref:3431957)   #9
smellysocks
Racer

Canada
smellysocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I knew the Mercedes must have been illegal!
Old 8 Jul 2014, 22:42 (Ref:3431960)   #10
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Next up, the FIA announce a 10 second stop go penalty for any car that's not red
Old 8 Jul 2014, 23:44 (Ref:3431969)   #11
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I put post in on the rule changes thread but in my view this looks like a manipulation of the championship. If it is (and it doesn't look to be much else) its a disgrace. The rules should be fixed and in place for the duration of the championship and preceded with 6-12 months notice on such issues.
If true, it does smell like manipulation.

Richard
Old 9 Jul 2014, 01:01 (Ref:3431983)   #12
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if this is a story with no substance? They may as well unfreeze the motor development at the same time, remove Pirelli as the sole tyre supplier, allow whatever fuel the teams want to use etc. There could of course be a Bernie story they want to distract attention away from??
Old 9 Jul 2014, 04:06 (Ref:3432014)   #13
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Yup, Plus 1, changing the game like this is just manipulation.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 04:10 (Ref:3432015)   #14
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I wonder if this is a story with no substance? They may as well unfreeze the motor development at the same time, remove Pirelli as the sole tyre supplier, allow whatever fuel the teams want to use etc. There could of course be a Bernie story they want to distract attention away from??
This would be better than just banning something out of hand!
Old 9 Jul 2014, 15:00 (Ref:3432199)   #15
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eric Boullier has done an interview (http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...4/7/16069.html) and from what I understand, the idea of FRIC suspension isn't the issue, but some teams may have pushed the development of FRIC so far that it ended up contravening some other rule. If this is so, then why ban FRIC, why not just penalise the teams that have gone extreme and possibly broken the regulation?
Old 9 Jul 2014, 17:40 (Ref:3432232)   #16
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
Eric Boullier has done an interview (http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...4/7/16069.html) and from what I understand, the idea of FRIC suspension isn't the issue, but some teams may have pushed the development of FRIC so far that it ended up contravening some other rule. If this is so, then why ban FRIC, why not just penalise the teams that have gone extreme and possibly broken the regulation?
FRIC uses hydraulic oil to determine a stable (lack of roll and yaw) platform with consistent ride height. Its passive, not active so that seemed to mean that it was legal.
It was first used in 2008 and has been developed particularly over the last 3 years.
Whiting now says he believes it may contravene the rules about moveable aerodynamic devices. nothing definitive just a 'may' contravene....

'But if all the teams agree unanimously' the FIA will not penalise anyone and then ban it from 2015... ...knowing that getting all the teams to agree on some teams having a better system is never going to fly...
Old 9 Jul 2014, 18:07 (Ref:3432236)   #17
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
FRIC uses hydraulic oil to determine a stable (lack of roll and yaw) platform with consistent ride height. Its passive, not active so that seemed to mean that it was legal.
It was first used in 2008 and has been developed particularly over the last 3 years.
Whiting now says he believes it may contravene the rules about moveable aerodynamic devices. nothing definitive just a 'may' contravene....

'But if all the teams agree unanimously' the FIA will not penalise anyone and then ban it from 2015... ...knowing that getting all the teams to agree on some teams having a better system is never going to fly...
The entire suspension system affects the aerodynamics so all the moving suspension parts are illegal aren't they?

Anyway isn't FRIC basically the same effect as an anti roll bar, just front to rear rather than side to side. Maybe not but if not perhaps someone can explain.

This action from the FIA is disgraceful. And if they think people won't smell a rat they are kidding themselves.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 18:15 (Ref:3432238)   #18
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
The entire suspension system affects the aerodynamics so all the moving suspension parts are illegal aren't they?

Anyway isn't FRIC basically the same effect as an anti roll bar, just front to rear rather than side to side. Maybe not but if not perhaps someone can explain.

This action from the FIA is disgraceful. And if they think people won't smell a rat they are kidding themselves.
Does any team not use it, or have struggled to get it working?
Old 9 Jul 2014, 19:36 (Ref:3432251)   #19
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Grasping for ideas as to why (other than outright stick a finger in someones eye)...

I know getting the teams to unanimously approve something has been impossible recently. Could this be a manufactured tool to get someone to vote a particular way? You scratch my back, I will scratch yours?

I would assume this would impact someone like Mercedes the most. Has Mercedes been a particular hold out on something recently? Potentially allowing some engine development for Renault/Ferrari?

Richard
Old 9 Jul 2014, 19:44 (Ref:3432255)   #20
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mercedes is rumoured to have the most advanced FRIC system. Not only a front to rear fluid connection but also a left to right wheel interconnection. It virtually eliminates roll bars.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 21:10 (Ref:3432287)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Magic body control
Old 9 Jul 2014, 22:23 (Ref:3432306)   #22
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Mercedes is rumoured to have the most advanced FRIC system. Not only a front to rear fluid connection but also a left to right wheel interconnection. It virtually eliminates roll bars.
Surely this sort of engineering is perfect for use in road cars? Why not let F1 teams develop such technologies? BAFFLING
Old 9 Jul 2014, 22:49 (Ref:3432314)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Changing technical rules mid-season always seems wrong to me. Unless there's a safety issue, why would something which passed scrutineering in the first place now not be acceptable. Particularly with something with such road car relevance, why punish innovation and creativity?
Old 9 Jul 2014, 23:27 (Ref:3432322)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This was my very question, why in heavens name are they doing this mid season...
Old 9 Jul 2014, 23:36 (Ref:3432324)   #25
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I could rant for a while about this, but everyone here already knows... It seems every other week I read an article that I think is a joke. I seriously thought the standing restart proposal was a hoax for a few days.