Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 3 Mar 2006, 18:20 (Ref:1535581)   #1
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you cant drive, get a Rally car

Why is this? Used to be the worst drivers were Nissan Micras allegedly, but now it seems to me every Thommi, Richard and Harri-roving-parent has a Subaru (in particular, or Mistubishi lack of charisma WRX GTI space cadet wagon R).. and none of them can drive them. This morning was a prime example. Driving to work on a slightly cold but not icey road in my RWD car this burke in front of me, going reasonably quickly on the straights (A338) but about 30mph round the corners in a Subaru WRX thing. Then when we get to the roundabout at Ringwood theres a drawbar truck in the inside lane, and a good 8ft beside him in the 2nd lane and the pratt just sits there, afraid to overtake a lorry around a roundabout or even on the two lanes preceeding it. Why get an all singing dancing car if you are'nt going to drive it? It was a youngish bloke too, just didnt have any balls I guess.

Rant over
Old 8 Mar 2006, 10:03 (Ref:1540143)   #2
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got notifications to say Bluebottle and TCD replied to this but theres nowt here?? Were their posts deleted perchance?
Old 8 Mar 2006, 12:34 (Ref:1540258)   #3
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some rather bizarre (and offtopic) randomness I believe...

As a Subaru fan, I feel I should defend the marque! The Impreza has (to my great dismay) joined the ranks of the models favoured by the Max Power modifying brigade. It's the sort of thing one graduates to having butchered a Corsa with random bits of plastic. The trouble is, the scene has everything to do with visual and aural mods (i.e. bodywork, alloys, ICE and induction/exhaust) and very little to do with real performance. The result is alot of young guys driving modded Imprezas without the faintest idea what the car is capable of as a point to point cross-country weapon. Bloody sacrilege if you ask me, but I guess that just means I'm getting old.

By the way, I saw a new Impreza Spec D at my dealership on Saturday. Very nice it is too. Crystal Grey (a kind of smokey silver rather than grey really), more subtle spoilers, leather interior... all the capability & performance of the STi without the lairy looks. A few years ago I'd have ordered one without blinking, but in my dotage I'm coming to prefer a quality interior, decent stereo, proper sat nav and an auto/tiptronic gearbox (if only you could get proper DSG/SMG on cars I like and can afford...).
Old 9 Mar 2006, 03:57 (Ref:1540896)   #4
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In Australia, people who are completely lacking in driving skill buy large 4WD wagons with which to terrorise their fellow motorists.
Old 9 Mar 2006, 06:52 (Ref:1540928)   #5
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or Subaru's
Old 9 Mar 2006, 08:22 (Ref:1540962)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
The result is a lot of young guys driving modded Imprezas without the faintest idea what the car is capable of as a point to point cross-country weapon. Bloody sacrilege if you ask me, but I guess that just means I'm getting old.
Well I'm getting old, too, Garc, but I'm rather pleased that they aren't able to exploit the abilities of these cars. These drivers are likely to reach the limit of their own abilities long before they reach those of the car. I agree it's sacrilege but for different reasons. How can they afford to buy these cars or insure them in the first place? Slightly tongue in cheek, I reckon everyone should learn the art of car control on RWD cars; then they'd appreciate the different and easier skill of driving an FWD (how I hate understeer) and then the phenomenal ability of a good 4WD car. How's that for a grumpy, contentious old reactionary?