Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Mar 2013, 00:16 (Ref:3224758)   #1
crooky
Racer

crooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*Sportscar/GT* Questions and Answers

For the curious and knowledgable, I thought it might be an idea to have a thread for random questions about Sportscars in general that don't really warrant a whole new thread every time.

I'll get things started:

Who was the last F1 driver to drive at Le Mans who drove in F1 as well that season? (Like Irvine in the Toyota and Jordan in 1994)

Is Webber the last of the current F1 grid to have driven at Le Mans?

Who was the last current F1 champion to race at Le Mans?

Last one... Alain Prost is well known for giving Le Mans a wide berth but are there any rumours that Peugeot approached him to drive in 1992 during his sabbatical?
Old 26 Mar 2013, 02:32 (Ref:3224800)   #2
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Is Webber the last of the current F1 grid to have driven at Le Mans?
Looking it up, Romain Grosjean ran in the GT1 class in 2010.

Quote:
Who was the last current F1 champion to race at Le Mans?
Depending on which way you look at the question, Michael Schumacher was still racing last year and ran in Le Mans in 1991. The latest who ran at Le Mans was Jacuqes Villeneuve in 2008. Others of interest include Nelson Piquet, Damon Hill

Last edited by FstrthnU; 26 Mar 2013 at 02:37.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 05:20 (Ref:3224812)   #3
crooky
Racer

crooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
Looking it up, Romain Grosjean ran in the GT1 class in 2010.

Ah would never have guessed that thanks.

Depending on which way you look at the question, Michael Schumacher was still racing last year and ran in Le Mans in 1991. The latest who ran at Le Mans was Jacuqes Villeneuve in 2008. Others of interest include Nelson Piquet, Damon Hill
Yeah I also know Rosberg started off in the 905 in 1991 before it quickly hit problems but what I was really after was who was the last current champion to take part at Le Mans for example it would be Vettel this year, Hakkinen in 1999/2000, Hill in 1997 if that makes things clearer. It's most likely back in the 70s or perhaps even earlier I reckon.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 07:33 (Ref:3224836)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Surely that would be schuey himself, was there when he drove at le mans
Old 26 Mar 2013, 11:31 (Ref:3224927)   #5
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
I think he means which driver drove at Le Mans in the same year as he was the F1 champ. Schumacher was not F1 champ yet in 1991, and in 1994 he didn't drive at Le Mans.

I think you must go back to Andretti or Hill.
After a little wikipedia I found that Andretti didn't take part in Le Mans **until** after his F1-career. Hill was F1 champ in 1962 and he drove an Aston Martin that year at Le Mans, which didn't finish.

Last edited by vincegail; 26 Mar 2013 at 11:43.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 11:36 (Ref:3224931)   #6
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
After a little wikipedia I found that Andretti didn't take part in Le Mans after his F1-career.
Mario absolutely took part in Le Mans after his F1-career, the last time in 2000 for Panoz.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 11:44 (Ref:3224935)   #7
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Oops. I know that of course, I just missed a little word **until**.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 12:49 (Ref:3224989)   #8
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Champions aside, Sebastien Bourdais (2009) was the last F1 driver to compete in the race whilst also currently in F1. Albeit he got dropped from Toro Rosso about a month later.

Can't imagine that will ever happen again to be honest. No current F1 driver will have:
a) the same affinity for/desire to do the race, and
b) the time to actually do it
Old 26 Mar 2013, 14:08 (Ref:3225044)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
What about Oscar Larrauri for EuroBrun , while also driving for Brun in sportscar championship ..... cant remember the year though ..... but was in the early 1990's .
Old 26 Mar 2013, 14:50 (Ref:3225050)   #10
crooky
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Champions aside, Sebastien Bourdais (2009) was the last F1 driver to compete in the race whilst also currently in F1. Albeit he got dropped from Toro Rosso about a month later.

Can't imagine that will ever happen again to be honest. No current F1 driver will have:
So surprisingly recent. I would have bet on some no name backmarker in the mid 90s.

On the champions question Phil Hill appears to be the last person to win the F1 championship (1961) then not only take part in, but win Le Mans the following year (1962) and to confuse matters slightly he also won in 1961 as well but he wouldn't have been the current champion for that one.

EDIT: I have the answer it was John Surtees in 1965 driving a Ferrari 330 P2. This record was very close to bring broke in 1970 though when Jackie Stewart was lined up to drive alongside actor Steve McQueen in a Porsche 917 who was unfortunately enable to get insurance.

Any takers on the Prost question and anymore questions from anyone else?

Last edited by crooky; 26 Mar 2013 at 15:13.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 17:13 (Ref:3225097)   #11
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Graham Hill won at LeMans in 1972, he was World Champion in 1962 and 1968
Old 27 Mar 2013, 01:08 (Ref:3225345)   #12
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking at the 2006 Le Mans results, how did Corvette Racing score a 4th-place overall finish with the GT1? Was there huge attrition in the prototype categories?
Old 27 Mar 2013, 01:24 (Ref:3225346)   #13
J.C.
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, New York
J.C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
Looking at the 2006 Le Mans results, how did Corvette Racing score a 4th-place overall finish with the GT1? Was there huge attrition in the prototype categories?
Ha...becasue back then LMP2 cars didn't last very long during a 24hr race.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 07:05 (Ref:3225400)   #14
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
Ha...becasue back then LMP2 cars didn't last very long during a 24hr race.
And neither did the non-factory LMP1 cars. Half the top ten in 2006 and 2007 was made up of the old GT1 cars.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 07:08 (Ref:3225401)   #15
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They were quite fast as well.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 09:03 (Ref:3225421)   #16
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

I was about to say Franck Montagny when he was at Super Aguri but this is a good shout.

I agree. With 20 races or so on the calendar, why would you add another few GPs in one day right in the middle of the season?
Old 27 Mar 2013, 09:37 (Ref:3225431)   #17
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jack Brabham was current world champ in 1967 when he drove at LM but Denny Hulme also drove there in 1967 and became world champ the same year. Technically though neither of them were in sportscars .........
Old 27 Mar 2013, 11:15 (Ref:3225472)   #18
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Jack Brabham was current world champ in 1967 when he drove at LM but Denny Hulme also drove there in 1967 and became world champ the same year. Technically though neither of them were in sportscars .........
Is GT40 not a sports car? What did Brabham drive in '67? Can't find him in the results.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 12:05 (Ref:3225508)   #19
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Is GT40 not a sports car? What did Brabham drive in '67? Can't find him in the results.
1967? I think he meant the French GP.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 12:23 (Ref:3225522)   #20
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
(I know the answer myself to this one, but it will be interesting to see what people answer).

In which year did the highest percentage of entrants which took the start finish the race at Le Mans? (Bonus points if you can give me the figures).
Old 27 Mar 2013, 13:28 (Ref:3225556)   #21
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
(I know the answer myself to this one, but it will be interesting to see what people answer).

In which year did the highest percentage of entrants which took the start finish the race at Le Mans? (Bonus points if you can give me the figures).
I'm going to think very recent and say 2008, 55 cars started and I think about 36 or 37 cars finished (albeit a couple of them under the 70% threshold for classification).
Old 27 Mar 2013, 15:42 (Ref:3225613)   #22
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
I'm going to think very recent and say 2008, 55 cars started and I think about 36 or 37 cars finished (albeit a couple of them under the 70% threshold for classification).
Incorrect I'm afraid.

To dish out a bit of a clue: you're wide of the mark with both parts of your answer.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3225636)   #23
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
After a little wikipedia I found that Andretti didn't take part in Le Mans **until** after his F1-career. Hill was F1 champ in 1962 and he drove an Aston Martin that year at Le Mans, which didn't finish.
Andretti did drive Fords at Le Mans in 1966 and 1967 I believe, well before he was World Champion and before his F1 career was established.

DK
Old 27 Mar 2013, 22:12 (Ref:3225753)   #24
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
1967? I think he meant the French GP.
Victor yes I did mean the French GP I knew someone would work it out pretty fast
Old 3 Apr 2013, 14:54 (Ref:3228596)   #25
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
The answer to my question was 1923, the first race.

33 entered, and 3 failed to be classified. That's a 90% finishing rate that has not been beaten since, in 89 years!