Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 4 Apr 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1269865)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting 2006 Venue News in Indy Star

Today's Indy Star quoted Ken Ungar of the IRL as saying that the Series is in "Serious Negotiations" with Long Beach for a possible 2006 race there...and that they will do no more than one race in Canada in 2006...

The possible Canadian city???

The Star reported that officials from Quebec City were at the event yesterday....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 4 Apr 2005 at 13:48.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 4 Apr 2005, 14:01 (Ref:1269879)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Today's Indy Star quoted Ken Ungar of the IRL as saying that the Series is in "Serious Negotiations" with Long Beach for a possible 2006 race there...and that they will do no more than one race in Canada in 2006...

The possible Canadian city???

The Star reported that officials from Quebec City were at the event yesterday....

Well there is a strong rumor Champ Car has saved the Long Beach race.

There's also a rumor that the IRL is eyeing a race in Canada, as a street circuit.
As Champ Car no longer race at Vancouver, and the IRL does not have a race up in that market, it could be a possibility.

Last edited by luke; 4 Apr 2005 at 14:02.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1269886)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would think the OWRS will do everything possible to keep the LBGP....it is their biggest event in the USA....

But I think that this annnouncement by the IRL is really more of a shot across the bow of OWRS to make them spend more than they want to in order to keep Long Beach on their schedule...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 4 Apr 2005, 14:45 (Ref:1269933)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vancouver would be a no go. The reason the race is gone is because of redevelopment necessary for the '10 Olympics.

Knowing what I do about ville du Quebec geography, I'd be very surprised if they tried it...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 4 Apr 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1269951)   #5
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Today's Indy Star quoted Ken Ungar of the IRL as saying that the Series is in "Serious Negotiations" with Long Beach for a possible 2006 race there...
As I posted in another thread, that is very disappointing to hear and I hope the supposed negotiations come to nothing.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1270005)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd love to see Long Beach as part of the 2006 IndyCar series.

I hear from some journalists in Indianapolis that the IRL aim for 2006 is 14 ovals and 6 road/street courses.

That sounds about right.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1270079)   #7
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i wont be vancouver montreal would be my bet as for long beach champ car wont give it up with out a fight the race it self at l.b. is a let down due to the lay out
Old 4 Apr 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1270099)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Legault only has the right to put on two races a year; so Montreal would have to drop Champcar first. Just a thought.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 4 Apr 2005, 19:33 (Ref:1270174)   #9
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Vancouver would be a no go. The reason the race is gone is because of redevelopment necessary for the '10 Olympics.

Knowing what I do about ville du Quebec geography, I'd be very surprised if they tried it...
Quebec City did hold some F.Atlantic races in the past.
Olympics in 2010? I take it you mean the Winter Olympics? This has me baffled.1-is it going to take 5 years to build the facilities?
2-Do they get snow in Vancouver? sking in the city centre will be different anyway!!
Old 4 Apr 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1270204)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Olympics in 2010? I take it you mean the Winter Olympics? This has me baffled.1-is it going to take 5 years to build the facilities?
2-Do they get snow in Vancouver? sking in the city centre will be different anyway!!
Hey, I'm just parrotting the reasons why Champcar was being turfed from their existing course - I believe they could only run it this year and next, and then the construction was going to have to take over the area.

I doubt any series would go to Vancouver knowing they'd only have one year available facility-wise.

-Bill James
Old 4 Apr 2005, 23:29 (Ref:1270338)   #11
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard a rumor long ago that the IRL would sort of go head to head with Champcar by putting a race in Calgary. Now I don't think this would work after everyone goes to the race in Edmonton and since the IRL isn't popular up here. However, I know people in Calgary who were totally POed that Edmonton got the Champcar race when they didn't, and I know those people would gladly snub the race in Edmonton for one in cowtown. Interesting rumor...
Old 5 Apr 2005, 00:03 (Ref:1270357)   #12
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
I'd love to see Long Beach as part of the 2006 IndyCar series.

I hear from some journalists in Indianapolis that the IRL aim for 2006 is 14 ovals and 6 road/street courses.

That sounds about right.
Would sound better to me if it were the other way around -- 6 ovals and 14 road/street circuits.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 00:39 (Ref:1270370)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
Would sound better to me if it were the other way around -- 6 ovals and 14 road/street circuits.
To be honest, all this talk of road racing for the IRL is sort of depressing me. I have mixed feelings over the changes.

As my signature below says, I'd like to see no more than four road races, but with the success of St. Pete, it seem's that we will soon be doing more than that, maybe much more. I like road racing, and I enjoyed the race, but I think we lost something at St. Pete yesterday, our uniquness. There's plenty of road racing series out there to watch already, so I'm just wondering, do we need another one? Being all-oval was a unique American style of racing, and it's what drew me to this series in the first place. Now, it seems that the influence of the former CART teams and there road racers is definetely taking over. Talk of Canada, Mexico, LB, geez, we're beginning to look like CART II.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy St. Pete was successful, and I understand that this will be good for the series business-wise, but does anyone else have any doubts about the new direction?

Last edited by GP Racer; 5 Apr 2005 at 00:41.

Danica Patrick
Old 5 Apr 2005, 01:04 (Ref:1270383)   #14
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I don't believe all this was ever about bringing oval racing back to the fans in America for American oval racers. It was about Tony George wanting control of the whole thing. I don't mean to start an us vs. them thread, that's just how I see it. Now if the two could merge and take the best courses from all, we could have on series with 26-28 cars every weekend on 25-30 of the best race courses in the world.

And no, I don't believe that is going to happen. Very sad.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 01:44 (Ref:1270397)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
What is the alternative then, GP? If this is the way that the IRL is finally able to solidify a claim to be "The" Open Wheel Series then there may have to be more compromises.

It all starts to add up: larger fields that are confirmed long before the season opens, a seeming winner in St Pete that will help build positive momentum going into The 500. This sort of thing attracts fans (who want racing and no B/S speculation going on ad nauseum) and sponsors.

The thing I most would like to see is some control brought over costs while not completely losing the manufacturers.

It is not a question of the IRL becoming "another this or that." It is a question of someone taking the lead in Open Wheel and becoming "the Series to be in." Looks to me like the momentum is shifting the IRL's way at this juncture.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 5 Apr 2005 at 01:46.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 06:49 (Ref:1270543)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The whole thing was always about control.

If we end up with a balanced schedule of an "IndyCar" series, that will be marvellous - and it will come about because one or other of the existing series goes out of business.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 18:24 (Ref:1271094)   #17
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
excuse me but just how are the irl taking the lead, they ve had one race with a decent crowd lets not get to excited that was an urban city street race not on a circuit 30 miles from a city,why do you think c.c. left purpose built circuits to take motorsport to the fans because the fans are nt coming to them you only have to look at homestead and phoneix for evidence so thats why the irl is going road racing its gonna be intresting when they go to the glen to see what crowds they get.as for them taking the lead o.w.r.s. season has nt even started yet i find it amusing.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1271273)   #18
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
It is not a question of the IRL becoming "another this or that." It is a question of someone taking the lead in Open Wheel and becoming "the Series to be in." Looks to me like the momentum is shifting the IRL's way at this juncture.
I think your right John, and you'll get no real argument from me. I'm as sure as you are that there will be more compromises to come.

I know the battle between these two series cannot go on forever, and with neither conceding defeat, or a merge being unlikely, the only answer probably is to go for the jugular. With the IRL taking definite aim at the heart of OWRS, and succeeding at it, the momentum does "seem" to be shifting somewhat.

I guess I'm thinking that I just might miss what the IRL was, and of all things, the original "vision". Strange, huh?

I'm planning on going to the Glen to see them there, and believe me, that is unfortunately far, far from any major city sr230. While I know that just because me and my friends are going there by no means makes it successful, there does seem to be alot of buzz about that race. We'll see...

Danica Patrick
Old 6 Apr 2005, 01:24 (Ref:1271388)   #19
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
sr230772, I said I thought that the momentum was shifting the IRL's way. No one is really "leading" at this point.

Manufacturer $$ clouds the true picture a bit on the IRL side, but however you slice that there are 21 or 22 on the grid where the drama continues in OWRS as we have about 20 minutes left in the off season and there are still at least two rides to be confirmed. From a stability strandpoint, the IRL is much more stable financially.

One race does not make a series successful, but a successful foray into a new arena to display the series is a good portent.

And yes GP, life is nothing if not compromise at times, isn't it? At the end of the day, I believe that the IRL will reflect the early CART Series as far as venue split - no more than 6 or 8 road courses and the rest an assortment of ovals.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.