Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 25 Jul 2005, 20:33 (Ref:1363225)   #1
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP2 race/qualifying format

This has been on my mind since the start of the GP2 season now. I just don't know what to think of the way drivers qualify for race 2, that is, by reversing the top 8 finishing order from race 1 of a GP2 weekend. I am not criticising it for sure, as GP2 is the most exciting single seater ch'ship in the world at the moment IMO, but the format does baffle me.

Junior ch'ships are about the best drivers going out to race each other at the front and ultimately only the best few win because they are quicker than the rest. But with Olivier Pla now becoming a double race winner I just question whether or not this is right! (I am not at all saying that Pla isn't a good driver, he obviously is)- but my point is that I don't know whether he or others like Piccione would necessarily be at the front battling with Rosberg, Speed, Heikki etc if it wasn't for the way they qualify for race 2. Pla has won 2 races now MAINLY because he has finished 8th for race 1, and I am not sure if that is a true indicator of talent. Piccione and Pla seem to have won races because they had a low points-paying position in race 1. Don't get me wrong, it makes for great racing and similar formats work well in BTCC, but shouldn't junior ch'ships be about spotting the truly qucikest overall drivers?

There hasn't yet been a GP2 race weekend where one driver has won both races, yet in all the other junior race series it is common for one driver to win both races on a weekend, because of his skill combined with their team who obviously deserve it. Rosberg and Kova clearly deserve double race wins on a weekend judging by their charges from 7th or 8th on the grid in race 2 where they usually set the fastest lap in the process, but only make their way up to 3rd or 4th by the end of the race.

Again I am not criticising GP2, but it seems that the best drivers are penalised for race 2 because they were the best drivers in race 1! Whereas people like Pla are rewarded for having a low points score in the first race. Even though it wouldn't be as exciting for the spectators, I just can't help but think that GP2 should just have an F3 style format, 2 qualies for 2 races. I am just interested to see what others think on this matter.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1363233)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Race 1 is the indicator of talent

Race 2 is sheer entertainment

Both are valid

I like it
Old 25 Jul 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1363248)   #3
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race 2 can be an indicator of talent, take Pla at Silverstone, he proved he can defend a position even when there are quicker drivers in chasing him down. imo
Old 25 Jul 2005, 20:58 (Ref:1363259)   #4
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I've only really followed the Silverstone meeting by actually viewing the action, I've watched the odd race here and there but mainly just read about the rest in Autosprout etc, etc.

From what I witnessed at Silverstone race 1 was a bit of a snoore whilst race 2 proved fantastically entertaining and from what I've read this has been the case for much of the season.

Motorsport is entertainment at the end of the day and I think the mix has it just right like K-B says. The first race you can judge who is quickest outright whilst the second provides entertainment which is what you want especially on GP race day...at least you feel you got some value for money from the day after you've sat through a snoorathon like the GP at Silverstone!
Old 26 Jul 2005, 09:16 (Ref:1363586)   #5
JJ Jet Plane
Racer

JJ Jet Plane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kicking-back is right and the points system reflects this (10 points for a win in race 1; 6 points for a win in race 2). We'd never have had that fantastically brilliant race at the Nurburgring if they hadn't reversed the top 8 on the grid. That was sensational. Don't change it!!!
Old 26 Jul 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1363723)   #6
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i like the system. it gives us a decent f1 style race for the first race then give us a decent feeder formula style race in race 2. may favorite driver has suffered from the system in both race 2s at silverstone and germany while the lkes of pla have greatly benefited from it but im not complaining as its entertaining as frig! every race 2 in gp2 this year has been great viewing and thats why itv even call it the main event despite it being of lesser value to the drivers championship aspirations.

keep it as it is.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 10:23 (Ref:1366456)   #7
Miranda
Rookie

Netherlands
Zoetermeer - the Netherlands
Miranda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like it the way it is... Race 1 is more important anyway: more points can be one, and the quality of the drivers really shows off. Without the reversed grid I think we would get Rosberg running away at start every race... and it would surely be a lot less exciting! I like it this way... it keeps GP2 interesting and different from other categories.