Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Dec 2000, 16:58 (Ref:51371)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Since many of us have voiced our favorite or at least most notorious mistakes in F1, I thought a topic of great moves or wins might be in order.

1. Michael Schumacher: His totally dominating performances at Monaco, whether rain or shine, stand in my mind as some of his very best drives. Also, a win at Silverstone(?) over Hill while driving his Benetton in 5th and 6th gear only was impressive.

2. Mika Hakkinen: His purely beautiful pass of Eddie Irvine at Nurburgring and then chsing down and beating Schumacher after a poor qualifying performance comes easily to mind. This destruction of the field was the impetus of his first championship I believe. Honarable mention was the pass of Schumacher and Diniz at Spa this year.

3. Jacques Villeneuve: Passing Schumacher's Ferrari on the outside of the Parabolica is one of F1's best moves ever I think. Honorable mention goes for his dominance in his first GP ever with Williams. Only an oil leak stopped him from winning.

4. David Coulthard: His win at Silverstone over a dominant Hakkinen and Schumacher in 2000 ranks as my favorite win for him. Being present for it might have something to do with it as well.

5. Ayrton Senna: His opening lap at Donington in '93 is an easy pick. Also, his qualifying efforts at Monaco are the stuff of legend.

6. Nigel Mansell: His blitzkrieg of a complete season ranks as one the single best performances of any GP driver ever.

7. Olivier Panis: His single career win at Monaco ranks as one of the most intelligent, tactical, and shrewd drives ever in F1 considering the conditions.

8. Mika Salo: His drive in '99 when he completely outpaced both McLarens and Ferrari's Irvine showed that he does indeed have the speed to be a winner. Only team orders kept him from the top step.

9. Eddie Irvine: His drive for the championship in '99 proved that he too could take the fight to the sharp end of the grid when properly supported.

Old 6 Dec 2000, 19:11 (Ref:51382)   #2
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gille Villenuve at Dijion in '79 the last lap with Arnoux, for me is the greatest moment in F1, ever. Gilles' battling with Jones at Zandvoort in '79 comes to mind too. Gilles's pass on the outside of Tarzan has to be one of the best moves of all time.

Alesi's first full season ranks up there for me too.

Old 6 Dec 2000, 19:44 (Ref:51386)   #3
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that that 5th and 6th gear race was at Barcelona in '94, although I'm not certain. Could someone please confirm this/call me a stupid idiot, whichevers applicable.
Old 6 Dec 2000, 19:46 (Ref:51387)   #4
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Tris, Alesi's first full season, but also his first half season!

- Alesi's performances at Phoenix 1990, Monte Carlo 1990,
Suzuka 1995.

- M. Schumacher's whole 2000 season.

- Barrichello's Hockenheim-victory 2000.

- Hill's Suzuka-victory 1994.

- Senna's Donington-opening-lap 1993...obviously.

That's enough for the moment...maybe more another time...lol
Old 6 Dec 2000, 21:26 (Ref:51391)   #5
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ozywoodwards
I think that that 5th and 6th gear race was at Barcelona in '94, although I'm not certain. Could someone please confirm this/call me a stupid idiot, whichevers applicable.
He was stuck in 5th gear (no sixth) at Barcelona in 1994... he finished second, 24 seconds behind Hill...

Jeanburraca, I loved Alesi'sis first "half season" but for me it was not as "pant wetting" as 1990. I can hardly belive that he has not done a WDC.... The only driver who has exited me as much since Alesi is Montoya!
Old 7 Dec 2000, 23:33 (Ref:51561)   #6
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Tris...unfortunately I didn't have the possibility to see Juan in action every weekend, but from what I've seen till now you could be right, he's a great talent...but as you know F-1 in many cases is very different than CART...I hope he will do well here too!