Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 16 Aug 2002, 02:01 (Ref:358818)   #1
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crash!!!!

Well, I guess that it had to happen sooner or later. Today I had my first "considerable" crash. Results? 2 broken headlights, 1 briken turn signal, damaged bumper and the hood is now wirtually useless, broken grill. Also, this metal part that covers the front wheel (don't remember how it's called in english) is bent. As for the other car, damaged bumper, broken stop, and damaged trunk lid. Worst part? The crash was caused by a third car that not only escaped unscratched but literally "escaped" from the scene and I didn't catch it's license plates. Sigh.....my poor car, it's so sad to see it like that . Oh well, at least I have insurance because preliminary calculations suggest that the repair bill could well be over U$1000.

Anyone else has any sad driving stories or memories?
Old 16 Aug 2002, 08:26 (Ref:358885)   #2
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear that, Sharky, and hope it's back up and running again soon. It sounds like the damage is mostly cosmetic, and hopefully all the panels are bolt-on ones, so they shoudln't be too difficult to replace.

I crunched my car into a kerb going round a bend. It broke my heart to hear the driveshaft scraping on the floor as it was winched onto the recovery truck Still, I managed to find a new front bumper, wings (I think that's the word you're looking for, Sharky, or possibly wheel arch) and suspension unit and it was back on the road again in a few weeks. I still have the "ouch!" pictures to remind me..

Last edited by Maisie; 16 Aug 2002 at 08:27.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 11:06 (Ref:358957)   #3
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shame about that Shark. Hope all involved are ok and the car fixed quickly.

In my one accident (about 3 years ago now), I was rear-ended in a carpark. It bent the chassis of my poor little Nissan Pulsar. Did around $5000 damage, but didn't look that bad. The funny thing was that it wasn't worth that much, yet insured for over $8000 and worth, as a trade-in, about $4000 after being repaired - but traded in for $5000.

Best, and only, accident I've had
Old 16 Aug 2002, 12:02 (Ref:359021)   #4
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Umm, from about three weeks ago.

The decision to leave the Carnarvon Gorge at 4am was not tken easily or alone. It was the full family conference thing. "Who votes to try our luck on the stretch of road to Roma where we saw all the dead Roo's on the way up? That or we try to sleep on these shytefully uncomfortable beds for another three hours"

That's the spirit! Into the Faithful Fairmont and let's sit on 90klm/hr with 290 klms to go to Roma.

Same morning, 7am. After slowing for Roo's left right and centre while the rest slept on. I was heard to have said - "Well that was an experience - I sure am the glad the sun is up now" (looks to left)

next words uttered were "sorry guys" after a bloody four foot high Roo jumped out of a culvert and hit the left front side. Totalling the lights, front clip and left front guard. Luckily the car was drivable for the remaining 1,200 klms home.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 12:22 (Ref:359051)   #5
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sharky, I'm impressed. How long have you been driving? From all the rumours we get in the UK, I thought everybody in Bogota had an accident at least twice a week...

Is it true that (taxi) drivers in Bogota tend to accelerate through red lights cos they'd rather not stop and the less time they spend on the junction the less likely they are to hit something??
Old 16 Aug 2002, 12:55 (Ref:359098)   #6
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Sharky, I'm impressed. How long have you been driving? From all the rumours we get in the UK, I thought everybody in Bogota had an accident at least twice a week...

Is it true that (taxi) drivers in Bogota tend to accelerate through red lights cos they'd rather not stop and the less time they spend on the junction the less likely they are to hit something??
I've been driving for more or less 6 years and I've had a couple of minos accidens (mostly scratches).

Actually, the ones that accelerate through red lights are bus drivers which is even more dangerous. They are real killers at the wheel. However, over the past 5 years many people have changed their driving habits and are much more civilized thanks to the past few city mayors that have done a lot of campaigning to change people's driving habits. And a new revolutionary, and very successful, massive transportation system is being applied that is replacing most buses. But there was a time when traffic accidents were the first cause of non-natural death here.

But, for instance, about a month ago I traveled to Peru and I couldn't believe how chaotic the traffic over there, particularly in Lima. It made the worst days of Bogota's rush hour seem like the ideal place to relax.

BTW, there's a saying over here among people regarding JPM. They say that he's so aggressive when driving because he has the "busetero" (bus driver instinct) that every bogotanian has deep inside of them.

And wheelarch!! That's the word I'm looking for Maisie! Thanks

Last edited by Sharky; 16 Aug 2002 at 12:56.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 23:07 (Ref:359507)   #7
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I broke the right rear wheel of my Dutton (sports kit, about the same size as a Lotus 7) because I'd forgotten to latch the bonnet closed properly. I drove down the road, the bonnet flipped up and hit the windscreen and I hit the brake hard, and that's when the clutch cable broke! I span neatly into a lay-by but smashed a chunk out of the wheel. The tyre remained inflated so I was able to drive very carefully home! For several years I've been telling people it was caused by a spin on a corner in the rain, which is almost true!
Old 17 Aug 2002, 10:36 (Ref:359659)   #8
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Moff, you're very lucky with the roo to get so little damage.
Old 23 Aug 2002, 01:43 (Ref:364125)   #9
Sharky
Veteran

Ouch!!! The bill for my car was U$1500+ (over 1000 british pounds) and for the other var was almost U$2800 (some 2000 british pounds). Quite expensive, specially since my car is worth U$4500!!

Thank god for insurance! And hopefully I'll have my car with me once again this tuesday!